SSD (OS) Plus HDD in RAID 1

jhedden

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
Hello,

I have all of my components ready to go and I have read my manuals, specifically the mobo manual. I would like to set up my 120 GB SSD to run the OS and programs and then have my two HDD's running in RAID 1 configuration. My questions are:

1) Does it matter which SATA3 port I connect the SSD to? (integrated intel or the Marvell).

2) I assume to run RAID 1 with the HDD's they both need to be on the marvell controller or the intel, but cant be on one port of each?

3) Once the above is answered, what are the exact steps for install? I got the feeling that the instructions included for the mobo were geared towards installing the OS on the RAID configuration. I am wonderinng if I should install the SSD (no HDD's) along with the rest of the components and then install the OS. Once up and running, then install the two HDD's to configure RAID 1. Or should I install all 3 drives and configure RAID 1 for the two HDD's followed by install of OS on the SSD? The warning to install the RAID drivers ahead of installing the OS I assume is when you are going to have your OS on the RAID system as you would then need to reinstall the OS if you did not set up the RAID ahead of time.