Problems after installing a Radeon 6770 1GB?

japmax96

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Here's my setup:

Acer Board: Nvidia Chipset MCP61
AMD 64 X2 5800+ (upgraded cooling fan & heat sink)
3GB Ram
500 Watt PS
Win7 32bit

And ofcourse ijust installed the Radeon 6770.

I'm having quite a hard time getting a smooth gaming experience. I had a 4650 1GB and it played some games fine at medium to low settings. I was hoping to go straight to very high settings with this card so what am I doing wrong can this board handle a 6770?

Also I noticed my cpu Usage is constantly at 70% + while idling on the Desktop without any other programs running. I think the card is running high or something in the background.

Any help is gladly appreciated.

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
Old CPU. Buy a newer triple core for your socket. I think your CPU creates a bottleneck.
As for the idle loading, i don't know.

It should support it. I mean if the video card is PCI-E 2.0 it should. If the card is PCI-E 2.1 then some cards have issues with older 16x PCI-E slots. Might want to upgrade your bios to the latest version.

So why is your CPU at 70%? Use task manager to see what program loads the CPU to that amount.

At what resolution do you play your games?

japmax96

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010

I can't go triple core on this board from what I understand that's about the best cpu I can get. I hope your right :)
I checked out the processes and everything seems normal. But I looked at the Radeon Engine Control Center settings and under CPU power it's maxed out 100%.

So I decided to see what happens when I turn it down and based on CPU-Z my processor core speed went down 1000.5mhz, when all the way up it's at 3113.7mhz and it doesn't change no matter what load I put on my computer. Also the CPU usage in task manger doesn't change it's a steady 70- 90% load no matter what I change.

Like before it would fluctuate depending on the load now it just stays at a specific core speed and specific CPU usage.

And I'm using 1080P

japmax96

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010

I didn't know I had to uninstall the old.

Also When I download the latest drivers via Web after tying to install the driver it gives me an error saying not compatible WIN7/PCI ??

So I just installed the drivers from the CD.

Download the latest video card drivers for your OS from www.amd.com first. Next download driver sweeper from www.phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html

Uninstall your current video card driver from control panel. Do not restart your PC immediately. Open driver sweeper and select all options pertaining to ATI and remove them. Restart your PC and install the video card drivers you downloaded.

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
Select all options ATi and NVIDIA! Except for physx. You need to uninstall Nvidia drivers also.

I meant to see in task manager what is loading the CPU o that extent. I did not check about the compatibility of you motherboard to be able to support triple core. But it should from it's generation or with a bios update from a more current generation. If you checked and you are 100% sure it can not then drop it.

japmax96

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010

Ok I followed the steps but still my tsk mngr says 50% load yet nothing is working under processes. It's usually at 3% on idle ..

Why is my CPU on load when nothing seems to be running but the basic Desktop.

According to CPUz my CORE Speed is stuck at maximum . This bothers me allot I don't understand why all of the sudden my cpu is stuck on max it should automatically adjust itself. This is all happening after installing the New 6770 card.

Please do a complete scan of your entire PC using a good anti-virus software such as Microsoft Security Essentials. Also give the exact make and model number of your motherboard. Need to check if your pci express slot is not creating the problem (as already suspected by ionut19).

japmax96

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010

undfwgsgdled.png

japmax96

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Also the PC takes longer to boot up. For example when I press the power button the CD Rom drive makes a clicking noise (no Cd is in there) like it's trying to read a CD this happens for about 40 seconds then finally the Boot screen comes on then everything is fine from there.

Very weird stuff is going on. lol Did a complete scan no viruses. Tried playing BBC 2 and while playing it crashes to a white screen then I have to do a hard reboot. But the game is all choppy anyways.

Am not able to google up exact info on your motherboard. Do you have an Acer Aspire T180? The amount of info I have got till now makes me believe that ionut19's initial suspicions might hold here. Your motherboard features a pci express 1.0 slot. Your video card is a 2.1 model which are known to not work properly when plugged in a 1.0 slot.

japmax96

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
I called the tech at the store where I got the card he told me I should shut the computer off htat I have a major problem if my CPU usage is at 50% and above on idle ..

Do you guys think I have a major problem here that I should shut this thing down?

hapkiman

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Yes you should uninstall ALL drivers both old and new, and then re-install the newest drivers for the 6770 directly from AMD's site. This should fix it.

Your CPU is getting a liitle old, but I wouldn't think its so weak thats its bottlenecking. I guess it si possible though -if the driver update doesnt work.

Then it's time to uppgrade bro.

japmax96

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Thanks for all the help guys..

Things I did so far 1. uninstalled all drivers 2. removed the video card altogether 3. Complete system restore 4 Turned off the PC and reset Cmos and disconnected the Power cable waiting 40 seconds. 5. Turned PC back on.

And still some reason my CPU usage stays at 50-55% on idle and my CPU Core speed stays maxed out doesn't change even at idle.

:( All of this because of that damn 6770. Something is terribly wrong guys.

japmax96

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
:sol: Problem Solved

It was this damn thing called PresentationFontCache hogging up my PC. I have no idea how that got on my PC but I disabled it and renamed the file.

So far this Video card KICKS ASS! I'm so happy now I can play my games on full blast without the lag plus everything on my PC seems to move along so much faster and crisper.

:hello:
Thanks guys for chiming in with advise.