Internet sharing between iPAQ 2210 and laptop

Last response: in Technologies
a b D Laptop
May 21, 2004 7:28:15 AM

Hello,

I want to share my laptop's broadband connection with my iPAQ 2210
using Bluetooth and need some advice on setting it up.

I've seen the excellent articles at geekzone but my problem is that I
don't seem to have a "My Bluetooth Places" on my laptop. I know my
laptop has built-in bluetooth (I don't need a USB dongle) but I don't
seem to have the software/manger for it. I reckon if I had that, I
could follow the geekzone advice and it would be straight forward.

Does anyone know a way around this? Grateful for any advice.

Cheers.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 22, 2004 2:55:03 AM

It would help if you could tell us what's the laptop's brand, the Bluetooth
adapter's brand, OS, etc...

Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):

"Radge" <matthew.lemon@dft.gov.uk> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I want to share my laptop's broadband connection with my iPAQ 2210
> using Bluetooth and need some advice on setting it up.
>
> I've seen the excellent articles at geekzone but my problem is that I
> don't seem to have a "My Bluetooth Places" on my laptop. I know my
> laptop has built-in bluetooth (I don't need a USB dongle) but I don't
> seem to have the software/manger for it. I reckon if I had that, I
> could follow the geekzone advice and it would be straight forward.
>
> Does anyone know a way around this? Grateful for any advice.
>
> Cheers.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 22, 2004 2:55:04 AM

Oh yeah - it's a Multivision laptop (UK company, recently out of
business!), 2.6GHz P4, running XP. When you say Bluetooth adapter's
brand.....? This is what I'm not clear about. When I bought the
laptop I was told it has a built-in Bluetooth point but I'm adraid I
don't know much more than that. I'm in the dark here, and was looking
for point in the right direction.

Ta.

"Mauricio Freitas" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message news:<aelrc.3363$FN.353616@news02.tsnz.net>...
> It would help if you could tell us what's the laptop's brand, the Bluetooth
> adapter's brand, OS, etc...

> Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):
> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=2028
> Handango discount: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/handango_code.asp
>

> "Radge" <matthew.lemon@dft.gov.uk> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I want to share my laptop's broadband connection with my iPAQ 2210
> > using Bluetooth and need some advice on setting it up.
> >
> > I've seen the excellent articles at geekzone but my problem is that I
> > don't seem to have a "My Bluetooth Places" on my laptop. I know my
> > laptop has built-in bluetooth (I don't need a USB dongle) but I don't
> > seem to have the software/manger for it. I reckon if I had that, I
> > could follow the geekzone advice and it would be straight forward.
> >
> > Does anyone know a way around this? Grateful for any advice.
> >
> > Cheers.
a b D Laptop
May 22, 2004 6:00:38 PM

There are only a few Bluetooth stack vendors, most are based on Widcomm, and
that's the ones I've used for the guides. If your adapter uses other
software then you might be out of luck. Are you able to identify the
software name and version?

> Oh yeah - it's a Multivision laptop (UK company, recently out of
> business!), 2.6GHz P4, running XP. When you say Bluetooth adapter's
> brand.....? This is what I'm not clear about. When I bought the
> laptop I was told it has a built-in Bluetooth point but I'm adraid I
> don't know much more than that. I'm in the dark here, and was looking
> for point in the right direction.
>
> Ta.
>
> "Mauricio Freitas" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
> > It would help if you could tell us what's the laptop's brand, the
Bluetooth
> > adapter's brand, OS, etc...
> >
> > --
> > Mauricio Freitas, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices
> > Bluetooth guides: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449
> > Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):
> > http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=2028
> > Handango discount: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/handango_code.asp
> >

> > "Radge" <matthew.lemon@dft.gov.uk> wrote in message
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I want to share my laptop's broadband connection with my iPAQ 2210
> > > using Bluetooth and need some advice on setting it up.
> > >
> > > I've seen the excellent articles at geekzone but my problem is that I
> > > don't seem to have a "My Bluetooth Places" on my laptop. I know my
> > > laptop has built-in bluetooth (I don't need a USB dongle) but I don't
> > > seem to have the software/manger for it. I reckon if I had that, I
> > > could follow the geekzone advice and it would be straight forward.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know a way around this? Grateful for any advice.
> > >
> > > Cheers.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 22, 2004 6:00:39 PM

> There are only a few Bluetooth stack vendors, most are based on Widcomm,
and
> that's the ones I've used for the guides. If your adapter uses other
> software then you might be out of luck. Are you able to identify the
> software name and version?
>
> --
SNIP

You might also want to see if the BT radio is enabled in the BIOS. It may
not be enabled by default. Usually when you boot up there is a screen that
tells you what key to press to get into the BIOS setup. Make sure it's
turned on and then make sure that you have loaded the BT SW which may not
have been loaded at the factory. I assume that the laptop came with a set of
CDs with various software?

Cheers
TC
!