Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Phenom II 970 is too hot

Last response: in CPUs
December 9, 2011 2:16:00 AM

I recently built my first system and my CPU is way too hot.

Specs:
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 970
CPU Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Motherboard: MSI 870-g45
RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX 1600
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430
GPU: Asus DirectCU II GTX 560 OC
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 650W Green 80+ bronze Power supply
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 7200 RPM

When I run my system with Prime95, it heats up passed 70 degrees within just a few minutes and then I get BSOD and shut down. Any torture test or real stress on the CPU seems to do the same thing and I can't figure out why its getting so hot.

I have a Hyper 212+ cooler with a second fan in push/pull with Arctic Silver 5 Thermal compound and I have remounted it a few times just to make sure that it was put on correctly, but it didn't do anything. I have a 140mm NZXT fan pulling air in at the front and a 120mm Cooler Master fan at the back for exhaust along with the fans from my GPU and the 2 fans from my CPU cooler. All of my fans are running at full blast- making it pretty loud, but it still gets hot

My idle temperature is ~45 degrees without AMD Cool n' Quiet and ~31 degrees with it on. I took my system out of my case and ran it in the open on top of the motherboard box and my temperatures were never above 60- even when running Prime95. I also have flashed the BIOS to the most recent version. I use Coretemp to monitor the temperatures and Prime95 on blend for the stress test.

What can I do to lower the temps? I can only really add 1 more fan because the rest of the spots are blocked by my PSU or heat sink. Please help me. I don't know what else I can do...

More about : phenom 970 hot

December 9, 2011 3:22:41 AM

thunderic said:
I recently built my first system and my CPU is way too hot.

Specs:
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 970
CPU Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Motherboard: MSI 870-g45
RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX 1600
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430
GPU: Asus DirectCU II GTX 560 OC
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 650W Green 80+ bronze Power supply
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 7200 RPM

When I run my system with Prime95, it heats up passed 70 degrees within just a few minutes and then I get BSOD and shut down. Any torture test or real stress on the CPU seems to do the same thing and I can't figure out why its getting so hot.

I have a Hyper 212+ cooler with a second fan in push/pull with Arctic Silver 5 Thermal compound and I have remounted it a few times just to make sure that it was put on correctly, but it didn't do anything. I have a 140mm NZXT fan pulling air in at the front and a 120mm Cooler Master fan at the back for exhaust along with the fans from my GPU and the 2 fans from my CPU cooler. All of my fans are running at full blast- making it pretty loud, but it still gets hot

My idle temperature is ~45 degrees without AMD Cool n' Quiet and ~31 degrees with it on. I took my system out of my case and ran it in the open on top of the motherboard box and my temperatures were never above 60- even when running Prime95. I also have flashed the BIOS to the most recent version. I use Coretemp to monitor the temperatures and Prime95 on blend for the stress test.

What can I do to lower the temps? I can only really add 1 more fan because the rest of the spots are blocked by my PSU or heat sink. Please help me. I don't know what else I can do...

I'm not gonna lie, you're kind of stupid for asking this, did you even do any research before building your computer? Prick.
Score
December 9, 2011 3:32:04 AM

tomfoolery_03 said:
I'm not gonna lie, you're kind of stupid for asking this, did you even do any research before building your computer? Prick.

troll
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a c 387 à CPUs
December 9, 2011 3:34:13 AM

That should be more than enough cooling to stay within safe limits running Prime95. Very strange. Normal Operating temp for that processor should be 55C-62C. http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Phenom%20II%20X4%...
Did you follow the instructions for cleaning the HSF/CPU before applying AS5?
Cleaning: http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/ac/ins_arct...
AS5 Applying: http://www.arcticsilver.com/PDF/appmeth/amd/md/amd_app_...
Are you sure the HSF is making proper contact with the CPU's heat spreader? Maybe try the factory HSF in case the mounting arrangement for the 212+ isn't working properly for you. Just as a test.

If all else is well, it could be one of the cores is bad.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 9, 2011 3:34:50 AM

tomfoolery_03 said:

Wait what?? Where did this come from....

Anyways, Is the system overclocked?
Check how many volts are going in the cpu from the bios.
Are your fans pushing and pulling properly from front to back and not counter productively?
Also make sure the dip switches on your motherboard are set to off (to not overclock)
Score
December 9, 2011 3:46:58 AM

clutchc said:
That should be more than enough cooling to stay within safe limits running Prime95. Very strange. Normal Operating temp for that processor should be 55C-62C. http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Phenom%20II%20X4%...
Did you follow the instructions for cleaning the HSF/CPU before applying AS5?
Cleaning: http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/ac/ins_arct...
AS5 Applying: http://www.arcticsilver.com/PDF/appmeth/amd/md/amd_app_...
Are you sure the HSF is making proper contact with the CPU's heat spreader? Maybe try the factory HSF in case the mounting arrangement for the 212+ isn't working properly for you. Just as a test.

If all else is well, it could be one of the cores is bad.

I'll try the stock cooler and see if that works out for me. If that seems ok then I'll try my Hyper 212+ again with reapplied thermal paste. Also, my system is running at stock settings, which I forgot to mention before. Thanks for the response.
Score
a c 387 à CPUs
December 9, 2011 3:57:40 AM

And please let me know if you have any trouble clamping that stock HSF to the AM3 socket retention bracket. I couldn't get my stock HSF to clamp on my AM3+ retention bracket. Never had that problem with AM3 retention brackets before.
Score
December 9, 2011 4:48:24 AM

Installing the stock fan did the trick- I've been running Prime95 for almost 20 minutes now and it has yet to go over 61 and is hovering consistently at 60 degrees which is miles better than before. I thought I had put on the AS5 correctly on the Cooler master heatsink, but apparently I was mistaken. Thanks for the suggestion. Fingers crossed- maybe with the aftermarket cooler if I can get it mounted right I'll even be able to overclock.

clutchc said:
And please let me know if you have any trouble clamping that stock HSF to the AM3 socket retention bracket. I couldn't get my stock HSF to clamp on my AM3+ retention bracket. Never had that problem with AM3 retention brackets before.

The stock HSF clamp took some work to get on, but nothing too bad.
Score
December 9, 2011 4:48:43 AM

Best answer selected by thunderic.
Score
!