Hd4890 help :(

2ak2

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
for some reason I'm getting about half this guy's FPS with an identical set up. same res, and everything

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNAflVcVhzI&feature=player_embedded
he mentions oc'ing his processor, but also notes that he's running his 955 at it's stock 3.2 speed

mine:
phenom 955
4gb ddr2 800
hd 4890
main hdd=ssd
win xp pro 32 bit
power supply: 550w

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171038&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Power+Supplies-_-Cooler+Master-_-17171038

my temperature readings/volts:

temps.jpg

I bought the vid card used, to save a couple bucks, but I'll return it if its the cause of the problem.

I've tried every catalyst driver from 9.4 on..to latest. Every single one has given me similar results which is about an avg ~45 FPS at the end of the benchmark. I've forced vertical sync off in game, and through ccc. For every driver install, I've used driver sweeper for the uninstall. I haven't tried reformatting, since I built this rig a few days ago, with a x1950 pro as the vid card. I've scoured the internet for a solution, and I'm still lost for a solution.

2ak2

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
cooller master. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171038&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Power+Supplies-_-Cooler+Master-_-17171038

I had a brand new 620w antec, and it died in 15 minutes. So this is just a spare for now while things get rma'd ughhhhhh:| My luck has been awesome. New psu, it dies. Now i'm getting half the frames I should D: continuing to spend hours on a cure. I just reformatted too, and the frames are the same.

Yeah I ran into a thread with someone having similar problems, could it be the volts? They claimed it to be the volts. Really wish people would update. He even had a 650w corsair psu. This should be good enough. I've ran newegg's psu calculator and it came out 495w needed with listed components. I've read threads with people having their 5830's not perform well with this game. It's just demoralizing to see that there is a youtube video with a near exact set up (mine having 4 less gigs of ram..) pumping twice as much frames.

I did not expect the 4890 to be this much of a headache, I should have gone with a gtx 275, and might. I'm just wondering if it could be the card, since it's used things dont seem too hot, and the seller seems honest? I'm just wondering if there is any way to figure out the problem. The earlier psu ran for about 15 minutes, then created a smell, then turned off my computer. It's definitely a lemon, but could that have caused any problems with the mobo? My research has come across fixes ranging from reformatting ( did that, does not work) upgrading to vista ( err) and buying a new psu with it's +12v rail actually pumping out 12 volts..man :whistle:

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Are you running the same resolution as that guy, it looks like he bumps his down at the last second before flipping pages on the option screen?

I would think you would be experiencing more problems than just low frame rates if your PSU was only delivering 10.56v on the 12v rail. Do you crash frequently?

2ak2

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
haven't crashed at all. Nope same exact res 1680x1050. At lower resolutions I get similar frames to 1680x1050..vsync is off. my monitor is 60hz..but under options in that guy's vid his is set to 60hz as well..theres even a split 100fps on the beginning low power scene. In the action parts im getting >40 fps. I just fear its the card, since there have been duds floating around presumably not performing so well

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
You might try downloading MSI afterburner and monitoring your clock speeds when running the benchmark. I've heard some radeon's will stay at there idle clocks when they are underpowered. 10.56 is WAAAY out of spec, but you can't always trust monitoring software.

2ak2

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
yeah I checked my 12+v rail under bios and it's at 12.171v?? I ran into a couple of threads with cpuid giving incorrect readings.. I'll try MSI afterburner and return with some results :((((

2ak2

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
finally..

yay.jpg

..sort of, wait what? noooooooooooo

alright. so my great jetway m-atx set my clock to 800..whats a clock? oh the thing that's supposed to be 3.2 ghz. I manually set it to 200mhz x14, and ran the bench. But thats 2.8ghz..when i set it 200 x16, the stock clock i get BSOD on start up :( Even at 2.8 I get a BSOD after about 20 minutes. The reviews are all over the place for my mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=jetway+am3&x=0&y=0

theres mention of it only being able to run 65w cpus? I bought this as a combo deal with my 955 through newegg. I'm guessing its either my volt settings through the bios, the psu, or the mobo :/
Benski thanks for the help man, I'm really rusty at all this stuff. Last comp I built was around '05..I'm pretty scared how complicated it's become.

P1030610.jpg

P1030611.jpg

@ 2.8 during 3dmark06 cpu bench:
temps-1.jpg

stable @ 2.4 :
untitled2.jpg