Blackscreen

mikeh21

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
Hello everyone, Im not sure if im posting in the right place or not so sorry. Okay heres my problem, i bought a new pc about 6-7 months ago from a online custom computer store. Im running 4 gigs of ram, quadcore, two 9800 video cards, 780i sli mobo, 800 watt ps with vista.
I just started playing some online games again and my computer will just hit a black screen. I can be doing nothing at all just sitting in the game and bam a black screen comes. It happens at anytime with no warning. I can still hear sound with my headset and i can hear ppl talking on skype but my screen sits at the black screen.
So now ive been doing some reading, heard it could be some of my ram, so i removed 1 of the 2 sticks still got the blackscreen. I took off my sli bridge and still got it. I checked all my connections reseated everything.
So my first thought it was my ram going bad after reading hours of forums. Before i could pull my ram out my comp crashded. I went to turn it on and it sat at a blackscreen upon booting. I moved the ram around ended up leaving one stick out and it booted after i put my ram in slot 3. Now today i turned it on after work and bam blackscreen no loading again. So i took my video cards and only left one it, tried em both stuck at the black screen. I then moved my ram to the 4th slot it booted.
Now my question is what is causing me to get this black screen? i spent a bundle on this computer and never had any problems until one week ago when i started playing wow again. Before i was playing wow i was playing warhammer online with no crashes. Any help would be much appericated.

mikeh21

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
all the parts i have in the computer.
UD-201-106 KINGSTON 4GB USB 2.0 RETRACTABLE
BAG-101-101 CYBERPOWER ACCESSORY BAG
KB-151-101 Razer Lycosa Black USB Gaming KB
MO-110-104 Razer DeathAdder 3G 1800 DPI Mouse
UPS-101-106 OPTI-UPS ES1500C 1400VA/980W BACKUP
HU-501-301 AZIO HIGH SPEED USB 2.0 4-PORT HUB
CU-192-107 INTEL QUAD CORE Q9550 RETAIL
HD-204-104 WD RAPTOR 150GB 10,000 RPM SATAII
HD-404-106 750 GB SATA-II 7200 RPM 16 MB
RM-316-102 CR DMNT 2X2 GB TWIN 8500 MEMORY
FA-WATER-101 ASETEK 120MM WATERCOOLER
FA-104-116 CASE FAN 120 MMM
CD-124-183 BLACK SAMSUNG 20X DVDRW
CD-116-113 BLACK 16X DVD ROM
CS-211-110 BLACK NZXT ZERO ALUMINUM NO POWER
NC-120-101 KILLER K1 HIGH SPEED NETWORK CARD
MB-326-101 EVGA NFORCE 780I 775 MOTHERBOARD
FD-104-103 BLACK SONY 1.44MB FLOPPY DRIVE
SC-XXX-101 AC97 ONBOARD SOUND
CABLE-PROWIRE PROFESSIONAL CABLE WIRING
RUSH RUSH ORDER FEE (3 BUS. DAYS)
VC-170-101 EVGA NVIDIA 9800GX2 1GB
MISC MUST EVGA
VC-170-101 EVGA NVIDIA 9800GX2 1GB
MISC MUST EVGA
SW-130-115 OFFICE BASIC 2007 W/OFCPRO 07 TRIAL
SW-130-116 OFC BASIC 07 W/OFCPRO07 TRIAL MEDIA
SW-160-125 WINDOW VISTA HOME PREMIUM 64BIT SP1
SW-160-131 VISTA HOME PREMIUM SP1 LICENSE
SW-160-132 WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM SP1 COA
SW-152-111 OEM AGE OF CONAN
BOX1 SYSTEM BOX AND FOAM
FUEL FUEL SURCHARGE
PS-114-104 NZXT 800 WATT POWER SUPPLY SLI

jason73

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
Just a few questions.
1 when this black screen comes on, can you still hear everything in the back ground from your speakers like sound affects when your playing games did you say ?

2 when you said that you booted the computer up one day and all you could see is a black screen, could you still hear the sound of windows starting up from your speakers ? like the sound it makes at the begining da da da, da < I no that sounds silly, Im not sure of the best way of making a windows sound lol.

I no you checked the ram but in this case it may not be the Ram thats the problem, because when ram starts going bad the normal thing that happens is the screen goes black and then you sometimes start seeing a message saying Ram is dumping and you will see numbers turning on the screen, Or the screen goes black for a few seconds and then the computer trys to reboot its self.

I will see what your reply is to my 2 questions.

BUT ! theres one thing you may have over looked and that is theres nothing wrong with your PC at all, Because it could just be your LCD or monitor, You may think this is strange but one of my friends had a problem a bit like yours and he checked all his system and could find nothing wrong with it, the screen was just going black for no reason, but he had sound < this ring a bell, seems like the same as yours !!,
but anyway he just decided to connect is PC in another LCD to see if it would work and Bingo the problem was gone,

So first just check that all the leads from your PC to your LCD or monitor are connected right and not loose or damaged in anyway, if you still have the same problem then try connecting your PC to another LCD/Monitor if you have one or just ask to borrow one from a friends for a few minutes, then if the problem as gone, then you know its your LCD or Monitor that got something wrong with it.
Its rare this happens but it could be worth you trying.

mikeh21

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
Thanks for the reply Jason, I can still hear sound from my speakers when the screen goes black. 2, Yes i could hear the windows start up. The new problem i had yesterday was when i booted the pc up i had a long beep come from my mobo. I read some stuff about it and these beeps are indications of something going wrong, ram, video and so on. The LCD is quite old so maybe it could be that but i really dont think it is. The only thing i dont understand is i was playing warhammer with this monitor, never had one problem then i reinstalled wow and played 1 week with no problems then the next week i get these screens. But I will try another monitor and we'll see. These beeps happened after i pulled the ram and pluged it back in. in the end i can only have one stick in. I tried both ram sticks 2 one seems dead, i think my pc might be frying my parts one at a time. Damn world of warcraft!

richfcc

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
ive got thesame problem my PC have a PCIE Nividia 7200 video card i change my monitor but still black screen but i heard the sound that my windows xp media center is loading and working well. when i try to removed my video card and use the built-in my pc doesnt black screen. the question is thus, anyone know how to repair my nividia video card...