Temporary Internet files

Although I have used Disk Cleanup, the Properties of my Temp Internet
folder is telling me that there are 5 folders and 571 files in there,
although when I open the folder, the window is clear. With Win 98SE I
was able to use DOS to purge this folder. Can I do the same with XP
Home Edition, and will it purge all accounts running on my system, or
just the one that is active, please?

Many thanks
Kate
7 answers Last reply
More about temporary internet files

    Try going to run,type:%Temp% Then go to edit,select all,then delete
    all,when thru,exit,empty recycle bin.

    "Kate" <@*slamaspam*.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    >Although I have used Disk Cleanup, the Properties of my Temp Internet
    >folder is telling me that there are 5 folders and 571 files in there,
    >although when I open the folder, the window is clear. With Win 98SE I
    >was able to use DOS to purge this folder. Can I do the same with XP
    >Home Edition, and will it purge all accounts running on my system, or
    >just the one that is active, please?

    You can do this from the Administrator account: delete the TIF folder
    under your user account.
    "A Description of the Safe Boot Mode Options in Windows XP"
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315222)

    --
    (tm)

    Disk cleanup *will* clean:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    Files

    Disk cleanup will *not* clean:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    Files\Content.IE5

    To clean out Content.IE5....

    1) Start | Run | Type: inetcpl.cpl | OK
    Or right click the Internet Explorer icon on your Desktop.
    Or: Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options.
    Best to do this with all instances of Internet Explorer closed. Especially
    if there are a large number offiles.
    2) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Delete Files
    3) Check the box ? Delete all offline content {This cleans >> C:\Documents
    and Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files AND
    C:\Documents and Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    Files\Content.IE5
    4) Click on OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after it deletes the
    temporary internet files
    5) You can now click on Delete Cookies and click OK to delete cookies that
    websites have placed on your hard drive.

    Content.IE5 is a hidden folder.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:cd40r8$717$1$830fa7a5@news.demon.co.uk,
    Kate <@*slamaspam*.demon.co.uk> hunted and pecked:

    "Thorsten Matzner" <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote in message
    > "Kate" <@*slamaspam*.demon.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    > >Although I have used Disk Cleanup, the Properties of my Temp
    Internet
    > >folder is telling me that there are 5 folders and 571 files in
    there,
    > >although when I open the folder, the window is clear. With Win
    98SE I
    > >was able to use DOS to purge this folder. Can I do the same with
    XP
    > >Home Edition, and will it purge all accounts running on my system,
    or
    > >just the one that is active, please?
    >
    > You can do this from the Administrator account: delete the TIF
    folder
    > under your user account.
    > "A Description of the Safe Boot Mode Options in Windows XP"
    > (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315222)
    >
    > --
    > (tm)

    I apologise for not making it clear earlier, but as my machine is only
    used by me at the moment, my account _is_ an Admin. one, although I
    note that in Documents & Settings, as well as my own folder, Default
    User and All Users, there is one entitled "Administrator", but this is
    not an account I can access at start up, nor does it seem to have any
    connection with my "proper" account as none of my personal settings
    and documents are contained within it. (I am sorry if I am being
    dense, but I am very new to XP, so I hope you will be patient!)

    As I mentioned originally, with Win98Se I used to purge the TIF folder
    under DOS, using the deltree /y tempor~1 command, which I found very
    useful. I had a look in XP Help & Support and saw that deltree / has
    been replaced with rmdir / but as I didn`t fully-understand how to use
    this command thought it best not to try.

    My TIF folder isn`t huge at the moment, but if it continues not being
    emptied properly, I can foresee a time when it will be, so it would be
    most useful to know how.

    Thanks again
    Kate

    "Kate" <@*slamaspam*.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    >I apologise for not making it clear earlier, but as my machine is only
    >used by me at the moment, my account _is_ an Admin. one, although I
    >note that in Documents & Settings, as well as my own folder, Default
    >User and All Users, there is one entitled "Administrator", but this is
    >not an account I can access at start up, nor does it seem to have any
    >connection with my "proper" account as none of my personal settings
    >and documents are contained within it.

    The "Administrator" account is available from the Safe Mode only. Boot
    to the Safe Mode, log on and then delete the TIF folder under
    C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\{username}.

    --
    (tm)

    > "Kate" <@*slamaspam*.demon.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    > >I apologise for not making it clear earlier, but as my machine is
    only
    > >used by me at the moment, my account _is_ an Admin. one, although I
    > >note that in Documents & Settings, as well as my own folder,
    > >User and All Users, there is one entitled "Administrator", but this
    is
    > >not an account I can access at start up, nor does it seem to have
    any
    > >connection with my "proper" account as none of my personal settings
    > >and documents are contained within it.
    >
    > The "Administrator" account is available from the Safe Mode only.
    Boot
    > to the Safe Mode, log on and then delete the TIF folder under
    > C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\{username}.
    >
    > --
    > (tm)

    Sorry I have not replied sooner - been off-line for a few days. I
    just wanted to thank you again for your help and also to ask if/when I
    delete the TIF folder like you said, will it be re-created when I next
    use Internet Explorer?

    Kate

    "Kate" <@*slamaspam*.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    >Sorry I have not replied sooner - been off-line for a few days. I
    >just wanted to thank you again for your help and also to ask if/when I
    >delete the TIF folder like you said, will it be re-created when I next
    >use Internet Explorer?

    Indeed.

    --
    (tm)

Configuration Customization Internet Windows XP