Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 vs Dominator 1600

HiTekJeff

Honorable
May 17, 2012
Just wondering if anyone out there with high-end workstations has used the new Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 memory on their system? I do a LOT of intensive CPU and memory rendering so any extra boost would help, not just in terms of benchmarks. Mainly, I want to know if you can get faster performance for applications that can use it? Also, I was not sure of any trade off since the memory does not have as good of timing as the lower speed 1600, so it may be a wash.

You'll only notice synthetic benchmarks increase with DDR3-1600 vs DDR3-2133 kits. About the only 'real world' would come in the form of a RAM Disk and then the CPU OC has a much larger impact. Most Dominator kit's in general can exceed their 'Rated' Frequency and CAS Timings.

The big drawback DDR3-1600 vs DDR3-2133 kits is the number of errors; faster kits can throw an error 1-2 per week to 1-2 per day in comparison to DDR3-1600 1-2 per month.

A 'Workstation' won't be using non-ECC RAM and certainly no RAM faster than the CPU's Rated Frequency (error rates). To run ECC on Intel requires a Xeon CPU and for the MOBO to support ECC/Registered ECC kits.

HiTekJeff

Honorable
May 17, 2012

Yes, I will be using a duel CPU Xeon 2687w workstation with 64GB RAM. However, ECC RAM does have some limitations too. As I'm sure you know, tests have shown ECC memory to slow the overall performance of a system down by 2% compared to non ECC RAM. You have a trade off when using ECC RAM and that is a fairly significant hit when you look at intensive tasks like rendering. This is why I was going with the Dominator so I would not give up any performance hits like that.