Solved

How good is this $500 Gaming Build?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/18fe

Budget $500
Resolution 1368x768

Would a $100 Z68 be best for me if I won't upgrade for ~2 years? I've heard Ivy won't be compatible with H61. How bad is this board? I won't be using/needing USB 3.0, nor SATA 6.0GB/s.

EDIT - Just looked at the DVD drive, can only be bought in combo. Same price, same purpose, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151233
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about good gaming build
  1. Best answer
    that looks solid to me man and matches the res you want to play at.
  2. I'd go for the Z68 board if its in the budget

And the RAM just has to change . Get a 2 x2 gig kit so it runs in dual channel .
    A single 4 gig stick will kill off 5-7 % of the system performance

1.5 volt for sandybridge . It should cost you $33 or so for a gSkill kit
  3. or get 4gb and then get another later on u will never notice drop
  4. Might be worth saving for a quad-core.....games like Battlefield 3 will really benefit from the extra cores.
  5. madchemist83 said:
    or get 4gb and then get another later on u will never notice drop

I second that.

@ OP

Get a decent H61 board atleast. An Asus, ASRock or Gigabyte board will do. I don't consider Biostar a quality motherboard manufacturer.

I'd get a GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1333 4GB and add another one if needed.
  6. madchemist83 said:
    or get 4gb and then get another later on u will never notice drop

probably the exact opposite . Your would notice memory bandwidth being restricted to a single channel far more than you would notice the difference between 4 and 8 gig of RAM

The 2 x2 gig kit is the best option . No game now or in the foreseeable future will require 8 gig of RAM .
    All games thrive on fast memory access
  7. Outlander_04 said:
    probably the exact opposite . Your would notice memory bandwidth being restricted to a single channel far more than you would notice the difference between 4 and 8 gig of RAM

The 2 x2 gig kit is the best option . No game now or in the foreseeable future will require 8 gig of RAM .
    All games thrive on fast memory access

Agreed, for a gaming build 8 gigs is still unnecessary. I would rather have the higher bandwidth as well.
  8. ^ meh with resolution that low memory would not bottleneck
    fine then get 1Gb of 2133 memory see how that's suits u
    U don't need 8Gb for games but memory is getting cheaper every day and I don't see a reason on not spending extra 10$ for twice more memory
  9. madchemist83 said:
    ^ meh with resolution that low memory would not bottleneck
    fine then get 1Gb of 2133 memory see how that's suits u
    U don't need 8Gb for games but memory is getting cheaper every day and I don't see a reason on not spending extra 10$ for twice more memory

If that's the case, why not buy 8gb from the get go? ;)
  10. never heard of that brand
  11. madchemist83 said:
    never heard of that brand

I don't know what your talking about.....

Seeing as how this board only has 2 slots, highest amount of RAM being 8GB (2x4GB), I think I would go with the 1 stick of 4GB for now. Only other thing I want to know is if Ivy Bridge will be supported by H61 motherboards.
  12. madchemist83 said:
    never heard of that brand

?
  13. "get go" brand :D
    and no IB will not be supported
  14. madchemist83 said:
    "get go" brand :D
    and no IB will not be supported

15. best acting
  16. All of you started going off topic. Thanks guavasauce.
    (This build got displayed on the homepage of PCPartPicker, they're chosen randomly though, I think.)
  17. Best answer selected by thymanbearpig.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Gaming Systems Product