Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

How good is this $500 Gaming Build?

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 9, 2011 4:15:13 AM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/18fe

Budget $500
Resolution 1368x768

Would a $100 Z68 be best for me if I won't upgrade for ~2 years? I've heard Ivy won't be compatible with H61. How bad is this board? I won't be using/needing USB 3.0, nor SATA 6.0GB/s.

EDIT - Just looked at the DVD drive, can only be bought in combo. Same price, same purpose, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : good 500 gaming build

Best solution

September 9, 2011 6:03:57 AM

that looks solid to me man and matches the res you want to play at.
Share
a b 4 Gaming
September 9, 2011 6:33:37 AM

I'd go for the Z68 board if its in the budget

And the RAM just has to change . Get a 2 x2 gig kit so it runs in dual channel .
A single 4 gig stick will kill off 5-7 % of the system performance

1.5 volt for sandybridge . It should cost you $33 or so for a gSkill kit
m
0
l
Related resources
September 9, 2011 7:50:46 AM

or get 4gb and then get another later on u will never notice drop
m
0
l
September 9, 2011 11:00:18 AM

Might be worth saving for a quad-core.....games like Battlefield 3 will really benefit from the extra cores.
m
0
l
September 9, 2011 11:44:45 AM

madchemist83 said:
or get 4gb and then get another later on u will never notice drop


I second that.

@ OP

Get a decent H61 board atleast. An Asus, ASRock or Gigabyte board will do. I don't consider Biostar a quality motherboard manufacturer.

I'd get a GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1333 4GB and add another one if needed.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
September 9, 2011 8:23:52 PM

madchemist83 said:
or get 4gb and then get another later on u will never notice drop


probably the exact opposite . Your would notice memory bandwidth being restricted to a single channel far more than you would notice the difference between 4 and 8 gig of RAM

The 2 x2 gig kit is the best option . No game now or in the foreseeable future will require 8 gig of RAM .
All games thrive on fast memory access
m
0
l
September 10, 2011 12:30:14 AM

Outlander_04 said:
probably the exact opposite . Your would notice memory bandwidth being restricted to a single channel far more than you would notice the difference between 4 and 8 gig of RAM

The 2 x2 gig kit is the best option . No game now or in the foreseeable future will require 8 gig of RAM .
All games thrive on fast memory access

Agreed, for a gaming build 8 gigs is still unnecessary. I would rather have the higher bandwidth as well.
m
0
l
September 10, 2011 12:55:20 AM

^ meh with resolution that low memory would not bottleneck
fine then get 1Gb of 2133 memory see how that's suits u
U don't need 8Gb for games but memory is getting cheaper every day and I don't see a reason on not spending extra 10$ for twice more memory
m
0
l
September 10, 2011 1:18:44 AM

madchemist83 said:
^ meh with resolution that low memory would not bottleneck
fine then get 1Gb of 2133 memory see how that's suits u
U don't need 8Gb for games but memory is getting cheaper every day and I don't see a reason on not spending extra 10$ for twice more memory

If that's the case, why not buy 8gb from the get go? ;) 
m
0
l
September 10, 2011 1:29:48 AM

never heard of that brand
m
0
l
September 10, 2011 1:40:09 AM

madchemist83 said:
never heard of that brand

I don't know what your talking about.....

Seeing as how this board only has 2 slots, highest amount of RAM being 8GB (2x4GB), I think I would go with the 1 stick of 4GB for now. Only other thing I want to know is if Ivy Bridge will be supported by H61 motherboards.
m
0
l
September 10, 2011 1:41:44 AM

madchemist83 said:
never heard of that brand

?
m
0
l
September 10, 2011 1:46:01 AM

"get go" brand :D 
and no IB will not be supported
m
0
l
September 10, 2011 2:45:37 AM

madchemist83 said:
"get go" brand :D 
and no IB will not be supported

m
0
l
September 10, 2011 4:27:02 AM

All of you started going off topic. Thanks guavasauce.
(This build got displayed on the homepage of PCPartPicker, they're chosen randomly though, I think.)
m
0
l
September 10, 2011 4:27:12 AM

Best answer selected by thymanbearpig.
m
0
l
!