Closed Solved

Help in upgrading CPU Cooler

Hello,

I have a Core i5 2500k currently at stock cooler. Im running a 4.0ghz overclock to play Skyrim decently.
My temps are reaching 70c at full load so I want to upgrade my cpu fan.

Many people suggested the CM hyper 212+ because it is best price/performance wise.

However I do have some questions before I buy this cooler.
1. Will I be able to attach it without removing the motherboard from the case?? I have a CM HAF 912 advance case.
2. Given the huge heatsink of cm hyper 212+, will it not disrupt airflow on my case?
I have the following fans:
bottom-front : 1x200mm intake
side : 1x120mm intake
rear : 1x120mm exhaust
top : 1x200mm exhaust

Thanks in advance
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about help upgrading cooler
  1. The hyper 212+ is a good cooler. I would suggest the cooler master hyper n 520. They have it at new egg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103057&Tpk=hyper%20520 for 33.99 and it has a 10.00 mail in rebate so it brings it down to 23.99.. Now I had a haf 932 case pretty much same fan configuration as your haf 912. I had the hyper n 520 in there which has a push pull method and my temps on my i5 2500k never got over 45c i was running at 4.2 ghz. On my haf 932 i did have to take my motherboard out to install the cooler so I would probably plan on having to do that on your rig. The cooler is extremely easy to install. Good luck and if you have any more questions just ask =-)
  2. oh the cooler looks nice. better looking than the hyper 212+.

so i really have to remove the motherboard again?? Im too lazy to rearrange all the wires again.
  3. yea unfortunately the motherboard has to come out. But look at it this way once it's done you will have a nice setup and your temps will be spot on.
  4. I have the Cooler Master Hyper 212 + and I am using it on my Intel® Core™ i7-2600K and it does help out. In order to mount this Cooler you are going to have to remove the board to mount the cooler. There is a mounting braket that goes on the back of the board that allows you to connect the cooler to. I am happy with how easy and quick it was about to mount this HSF (heatsink/fan).

Christian Wood
    Intle Enthusiast Team
  5. Thanks for all the answers. I am still afraid to remove my board. I feel as if I will not be able to return to its original state.

Is there any cooler out there in which I will not have to remove my board?
  6. corsair h100 will be the best..
  7. Best answer
    A 212+ or better yet the improved Evo version will install in a 912 no problem.
    The 212+ and Evo model are vastly superior to the N520 for cooling performance.
    Test bed using hotter i7 920 platform.
    http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/19383-cooler-master-hyper-212-plus-cpu-cooler-review-10.html

The 912 has a cpu cut-out so there is no need to remove the mobo to install the cooler.
  8. Yeah case manufacturer's have started cutting out holes in the motherboard trays specifically so one wouldn't have to remove the motherboard to install a new CPU cooler.
  9. ok guys thanks for the replies. i will maybe go with the 212+ due to its availability in my country.
  10. Best answer selected by hybr33d.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Cooling Product