Build Not Starting Up

ibekaracay

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
So I just put together my first build from scratch. I finally finished it tonight, but it won't turn on. I've checked on the net and everything I find says its the power supply, but haven't found my exact problem. In my case, the motherboard is receiving power, so I don't know whether to assume its the power supply still.

Short story, motherboard receives power, nothing else. Power button does not work or light up. When the motherboard's power button is pressed, a fan's LED flickers on and off. Disk drive shows no sign of power, neither does the hard drive.

I've checked if it was the GPU, RAM, CPU, and none of those have been causing it. Don't know what direction to head in now. :??:

The system specs are:
Antec Dark Fleet 30
OCZ Tech ModX-Stream Pro 700W
500 GB Western Digital 6Gb/s HD
Crucial Ballistx 8GB (2x4gb) DDR3
i5 2500k
ASUS P8Z68-V Pro
9500 GT 1GB Video Card

I've also tried to "Jump start" the system to no avail, though I felt like I heard a slight noise. I touched the two PWR pins that the power button connects to with a screwdriver, I believe that's correct.

guavasauce

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
did you make sure the front panel headers were installed as per the manual?

but if you tried jumping the pins, and still nothing happens to bring life, you have 2 possibles.
mobo and psu, with psu being the easiest and cheapest to test. like $15 bucks for a psu tester, or just try a different psu if you have one laying around.
also, try disconnecting everything that isnt NEEDED for system boot. ony leave the cpu. ram, and gpu in (i didnt look to see if your mobo have onboard video, of it does, remove 9500) and see where that gets you. also check the stand offs on the tray and ensure nothing is grounding out.