Need assistance on 990x chipset

luis94uk

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
When i was getting a new computer i personally had no idea how everything works and is sorted so i opted for going to a pre-made website and make the mistake of a basically pick and mix not having much idea on what did what. i ended up getting a 990x MB with a phenom 560 black edition . since i have a 990x chip set does this limit me from using certain cpu's such as a i5 2500k ?

Thanks for the help . much appreciated

You cannot use a AMD processor on a Intel Motherboard and visa versa, so you cannot put the 2500K on any AMD AM3+ board, you need a 1155 socket board to run the intel sandybridge processors.

luis94uk

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
ok thanks for the fast reply . seeing as anything intel is out the way would anyone be albe to recommend a upgrade processor for the 990x mb which gets me the most bang for my buck

Assuming you cannoy return the board or CPU I suggest you try to unlock another 2 cores on the 560 and try to overclock it. If this works out OK there is little point in changing it. Other wise look at the 960T or a bulldozer chip.

luis94uk

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
alright i unlocked two cores but suffered from a screen freeze after a bit of time . freezing what was on the screen at the moment of time and a reboot would fix this . i was told that this was due to needing to allocate more power to the cpu . would anyone be able to explain how this is done ?

That board could handle the 1090t or 1100t with no problem. My FX-8120 is way better for gaming than my 1090t and at the same price point now as the 1100t.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

The 1090t and 1100t are not quite as capable at gaming as the 980BE or FX 8150, so I don't see your point. Don't get me wrong... neither are slouches. But gaming today can't utilize more than 3 or 4 cores efficiently. While the 6 and 8 core CPUs excell at other tasks, the extra cores don't help at gaming. (see chart above)