Adding Memory

betterley

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012
Hi, everyone, I currently have 4 Gig (2x 2 Gig sticks) of Corsair Vengeance Low-Profile DDR3-1600 RAM.
I'm looking into adding additional memory, preferably 8 more Gig (12 Total). In order to do that I was going to add 2x 4 Gig sticks, will that cause any problem-- 2x 2 Gig Sticks paired with 2x 4 Gig sticks?

Thanks for the help

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
What are the rest of your system specs-Specifically CPU and Mobo? Also, why are you upgrading the RAM?

Personally, I would recommend against using two different types of RAM because it introduces variables that may cause the system to become unstable. However, you can do it. The slower of the two pairs of DIMM's will be used to automatically set the timings (that's the theory anyway) for all four DIMM's. Also, the ability to use dual channel mode will be affected. The system should be able to use dual channel mode for all four DIMM's but you will need to ensure that you have the 2X2GB set in one bank and the 2X4GB set in the other. Check your Motherboard manual to determine how the memory banks are arranged.

betterley

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012
My processor is an Intel i5 3570k with an ASRock z77 Extreme 4 mobo.
I was just looking into my system specs, and I realized I acutally have 8 gigs of ram (2x 4 Gig sticks). I have no idea how I forgot that, I built my PC less than 6 months ago... have mercy.
I think I'm going to add 2 additional 4 Gig sticks.

So just buy a matching set and stick it in. I have the same setup by the way.

It's good so far. I have one Sapphire 7870 and will probably buy another when the 8000 series comes out, but there isn't anything I can't run great as it is. It was my first build so I wish I would have changed a few things. Oh well at least I know for next time.

betterley

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012
Yeah, this is my first build also. I have an Evga GTX 670 in it, and I've also considered adding a second gpu eventually, but everything runs smooth so far. Nothing like being able to max out Skyrim, plus add tons of mods.
Love it.

I was thinking of a 670, but it was more than I wanted to pay. Hopefully before too long I will be able to get a second 7870 for under $200 and I will have cf for a little more than your 670.