Distribution of DIgital Pictures to Family via Internet

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
March 31, 2005 1:13:30 AM

How can an XP Pro computer with internet access (DSL/Cable) be used
for distribution of family digital video clips and jpeg files?
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 1:13:31 AM

Vince wrote:
> How can an XP Pro computer with internet access (DSL/Cable) be used
> for distribution of family digital video clips and jpeg files?

I'd try http://www.FotoTime.com. Two bucks a month (yearly in advance)
for 500 MB space and 10x that much bandwidth per month; add $18 to host
your videos. I've never done any that large (200MB), but the recipients
can choose original or condensed, which seems to work fine.
http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/thumb?pictid={B1395FB2-5F95-4D56-B5A0-D9D0045F4129}&size=SM
or
http://tinyurl.com/46em9

That way you don't have to mess with setting up anything: just select
"upload", choose files, push the button.

--
Frank ess
March 31, 2005 1:38:28 AM

"Vince" <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> How can an XP Pro computer with internet access (DSL/Cable) be used
> for distribution of family digital video clips and jpeg files?

Can't say about video clips - I don't do that. You send jpeg files via
email. Be careful not to send large files because some people don't
appreciate the time it takes to download them (using a 56K modem for
example).
Jim
March 31, 2005 1:38:29 AM

"Jim" <j.n@nospam.com> writes:

> "Vince" <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > How can an XP Pro computer with internet access (DSL/Cable) be used
> > for distribution of family digital video clips and jpeg files?
> >

> Can't say about video clips - I don't do that. You send jpeg files via
> email. Be careful not to send large files because some people don't
> appreciate the time it takes to download them (using a 56K modem for
> example).

Or put the jpeg files/video clips on a web server, and let the family members
download the files when they want. If you are trying to setup your local PC as
a server, it depends on what type of internet service you have (consumer grade
service at ISPs generally blocks ports, the more expensive business grade
services will typically allow you to set up a server). I would recomend unless
you are up on how to really secure a Windows system and setup the services not
to even attempt it, and let a professional web hoster/photo album company do
the details.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:38:28 GMT, "Jim" <j.n@nospam.com> wrote:

>"Vince" <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> How can an XP Pro computer with internet access (DSL/Cable) be used
>> for distribution of family digital video clips and jpeg files?
>>

>Can't say about video clips - I don't do that. You send jpeg files via
>email. Be careful not to send large files because some people don't
>appreciate the time it takes to download them (using a 56K modem for
>example).
>Jim

My interest is specifically with video clips/mpeg taken with a SONY
CyberShot camera, the P-100.

For example: While my daughter was at my place with her twin 7 month
olds, I used the SONY P-100 for a couple of video clips. Now, how can
I get those (~200 MB) files to her computer w/o use of DVD/CD burning?

There must be a procedure that takes advantage of Windows XP and a
broadband ISP service, or, a way to link my XP with her XP computer
w/o going through an ISP ? My ISP imposes a limitation on file size:
8 MB.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 1:54:31 AM

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:54:30 GMT, in rec.photo.digital Vince
<NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> wrote:

>My interest is specifically with video clips/mpeg taken with a SONY
>CyberShot camera, the P-100.
>
>For example: While my daughter was at my place with her twin 7 month
>olds, I used the SONY P-100 for a couple of video clips. Now, how can
>I get those (~200 MB) files to her computer w/o use of DVD/CD burning?
>
>There must be a procedure that takes advantage of Windows XP and a
>broadband ISP service, or, a way to link my XP with her XP computer
>w/o going through an ISP ? My ISP imposes a limitation on file size:
>8 MB.

One thing to consider is that while you have a broadband connection, most
are asymmetric, meaning your download speed can be orders of magnitude
faster than your upload speed. So for you to upload a 200MB file it will
take a lot longer compared to how long you would need to download a
similarly sized file.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
March 31, 2005 2:06:25 AM

"Vince" <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> How can an XP Pro computer with internet access (DSL/Cable) be used
> for distribution of family digital video clips and jpeg files?

I can't think why you don't want to burn a Cd. That way your daughter would
have a moderately permanent record.

It strikes me as being much easier, than remote working via an ISP, and if
your ISP limits you to an 8 Mb File, I don't see how you could send her a
200Mb File.

How do you manage to download updates to Programs etc, with an 8 Mb
restriction?

Roy G
March 31, 2005 2:13:08 AM

"Roy" <royphoty@iona-guesthouse.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Vince" <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> How can an XP Pro computer with internet access (DSL/Cable) be used
>> for distribution of family digital video clips and jpeg files?

Sorry. I should have said if both machines are on XP, then you could use
"Remote Assistance" - See XP Help.

I have never yet used this system, but one of my non-photographic friends
uses it all the time to transfer data to and from his customers.

Roy G

> I can't think why you don't want to burn a Cd. That way your daughter
> would have a moderately permanent record.
>
> It strikes me as being much easier, than remote working via an ISP, and if
> your ISP limits you to an 8 Mb File, I don't see how you could send her a
> 200Mb File.
>
> How do you manage to download updates to Programs etc, with an 8 Mb
> restriction?
>
> Roy G

Anonymous
March 31, 2005 2:37:01 AM

> "Roy" <royphoty@iona-guesthouse.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> "Vince" <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> How can an XP Pro computer with internet access (DSL/Cable) be used
>>> for distribution of family digital video clips and jpeg files?
>

> Sorry. I should have said if both machines are on XP, then you could use
> "Remote Assistance" - See XP Help.
>
> I have never yet used this system, but one of my non-photographic friends
> uses it all the time to transfer data to and from his customers.
>
> Roy G

The problem with such peer-to-peer connections (without a central hosts
handling the initial connection) is one of you is probably behind a router
and/ or firewall and so you may have to deal with the hassles of port
forwarding and Network Address Translation, and whether or not his/her ISP
is blocking inbound ftp/http. If he had that handled then he could easily
run a webpage of his XP machine or install a ftp server app, such as G6ftp
from www.gene6.com
March 31, 2005 2:55:16 AM

> My interest is specifically with video clips/mpeg taken with a SONY
> CyberShot camera, the P-100.
>
> For example: While my daughter was at my place with her twin 7 month
> olds, I used the SONY P-100 for a couple of video clips. Now, how can
> I get those (~200 MB) files to her computer w/o use of DVD/CD burning?
>
> There must be a procedure that takes advantage of Windows XP and a
> broadband ISP service, or, a way to link my XP with her XP computer
> w/o going through an ISP ? My ISP imposes a limitation on file size:
> 8 MB.

Sneakernet works much easier for things like this..
Jim

Anonymous
March 31, 2005 3:02:32 AM

"Vince" <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:38:28 GMT, "Jim" <j.n@nospam.com> wrote:
>

>>"Vince" <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> How can an XP Pro computer with internet access (DSL/Cable) be used
>>> for distribution of family digital video clips and jpeg files?
>>>

>>Can't say about video clips - I don't do that. You send jpeg files via
>>email. Be careful not to send large files because some people don't
>>appreciate the time it takes to download them (using a 56K modem for
>>example).
>>Jim
>>

> My interest is specifically with video clips/mpeg taken with a SONY
> CyberShot camera, the P-100.
>
> For example: While my daughter was at my place with her twin 7 month
> olds, I used the SONY P-100 for a couple of video clips. Now, how can
> I get those (~200 MB) files to her computer w/o use of DVD/CD burning?
>
> There must be a procedure that takes advantage of Windows XP and a
> broadband ISP service, or, a way to link my XP with her XP computer
> w/o going through an ISP ? My ISP imposes a limitation on file size:
> 8 MB.

I have previously done this via a chat program to xfer a 500Mb file from UK
to US. Establish a session, and you can then send files. Cant recall what I
used, probably Yahoo Instant Messenger, but I imagine they will all do
similar. I hope your daughter has broadband as well as you?? You'll
obviously have to use an ISP, but they shouldnt see it as a 'file' being
transferred (I imagine thats an email limit?), just a stream of bits.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 4:08:35 AM

Vince <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> wrote in

> How can an XP Pro computer with internet access (DSL/Cable) be used
> for distribution of family digital video clips and jpeg files?

Best bet is to stick them on a website
March 31, 2005 4:26:07 AM

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:02:32 +0100, "Tumbleweed"
<thisaccountneverread@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Vince" <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:38:28 GMT, "Jim" <j.n@nospam.com> wrote:
>>

>>>"Vince" <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>Can't say about video clips - I don't do that. You send jpeg files via
>>>email. Be careful not to send large files because some people don't
>>>appreciate the time it takes to download them (using a 56K modem for
>>>example).
>>>Jim
>>>

>> My interest is specifically with video clips/mpeg taken with a SONY
>> CyberShot camera, the P-100.
>>
>> For example: While my daughter was at my place with her twin 7 month
>> olds, I used the SONY P-100 for a couple of video clips. Now, how can
>> I get those (~200 MB) files to her computer w/o use of DVD/CD burning?
>>
>> There must be a procedure that takes advantage of Windows XP and a
>> broadband ISP service, or, a way to link my XP with her XP computer
>> w/o going through an ISP ? My ISP imposes a limitation on file size:
>> 8 MB.
>>

>I have previously done this via a chat program to xfer a 500Mb file from UK
>to US. Establish a session, and you can then send files. Cant recall what I
>used, probably Yahoo Instant Messenger, but I imagine they will all do
>similar. I hope your daughter has broadband as well as you?? You'll
>obviously have to use an ISP, but they shouldnt see it as a 'file' being
>transferred (I imagine thats an email limit?), just a stream of bits.

I already am using ICQ; but would need to get others in family to
install that program. Using something like ICQ would mean
transferring the files in real time, to each destination/participant.
I will think further about doing this, at least with my
daughter/son-in-law; they do have broadband (Cable) ISP service.

Both myself and daughter do use Yahoo.com and Netscape, but I have
stayed away from all chat programs other than ICQ.

Thanks for your input.
March 31, 2005 4:32:22 AM

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:06:25 GMT, "Roy"
<royphoty@iona-guesthouse.co.uk> wrote:

>"Vince" <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> How can an XP Pro computer with internet access (DSL/Cable) be used
>> for distribution of family digital video clips and jpeg files?
>>

>I can't think why you don't want to burn a Cd. That way your daughter would
>have a moderately permanent record.
>
>It strikes me as being much easier, than remote working via an ISP, and if
>your ISP limits you to an 8 Mb File, I don't see how you could send her a
>200Mb File.
>
>How do you manage to download updates to Programs etc, with an 8 Mb
>restriction?
>
>Roy G

Distribution would probably be to more than just my daughter; perhaps
as many of five people on my distribution list, if they have broadband
service. It would not be efficient for me to deliver CDroms to each
destination, whereas I get to see my grandchildren twins and their mom
on Tuesdays and alternate Thursdays, as I am the volunteered
babysitter ! Other destinations include LasVegas, NV and Tampa, FL,
in addition to several locals.

I should have been clearer; the limitation is on eMail attachments,
not files in general, so program downloads via ISP are not an issue.
March 31, 2005 4:35:48 AM

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:13:08 GMT, "Roy"
<royphoty@iona-guesthouse.co.uk> wrote:

>"Roy" <royphoty@iona-guesthouse.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> "Vince" <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> How can an XP Pro computer with internet access (DSL/Cable) be used
>>> for distribution of family digital video clips and jpeg files?
>

>Sorry. I should have said if both machines are on XP, then you could use
>"Remote Assistance" - See XP Help.
>
>I have never yet used this system, but one of my non-photographic friends
>uses it all the time to transfer data to and from his customers.
>
>Roy G
>

>> I can't think why you don't want to burn a Cd. That way your daughter
>> would have a moderately permanent record.
>>
>> It strikes me as being much easier, than remote working via an ISP, and if
>> your ISP limits you to an 8 Mb File, I don't see how you could send her a
>> 200Mb File.
>>
>> How do you manage to download updates to Programs etc, with an 8 Mb
>> restriction?
>>
>> Roy G

Thanks, I will take a look into XP Remote Assistance as a possibility.
I am new to Windows XP Pro. However, this again would necessitate
real time transfers and I am not sure if the other party would also
need to be using XP.
March 31, 2005 4:38:29 AM

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:37:01 GMT, "Dave R knows who"
<kilbyfan@spamnotAOL.com> wrote:

>"Roy" <royphoty@iona-guesthouse.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> "Roy" <royphoty@iona-guesthouse.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Vince" <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> Sorry. I should have said if both machines are on XP, then you could use
>> "Remote Assistance" - See XP Help.
>>
>> I have never yet used this system, but one of my non-photographic friends
>> uses it all the time to transfer data to and from his customers.
>>
>> Roy G
>

>The problem with such peer-to-peer connections (without a central hosts
>handling the initial connection) is one of you is probably behind a router
>and/ or firewall and so you may have to deal with the hassles of port
>forwarding and Network Address Translation, and whether or not his/her ISP
>is blocking inbound ftp/http. If he had that handled then he could easily
>run a webpage of his XP machine or install a ftp server app, such as G6ftp
>from www.gene6.com

The one person that I do use ICQ with does have a router, and thus far
he has not been able to accept any file transfers from myself.

My son-in-law/daughter also make use of a wireless router; this might
prevent the use of ICQ chat file transfers between us, as well.

Thanks for your input.
March 31, 2005 4:51:33 AM

On 31 Mar 2005 00:08:35 GMT, Barry Bean <bbbean@beancotton.com> wrote:

>Vince <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> wrote in
>

>> How can an XP Pro computer with internet access (DSL/Cable) be used
>> for distribution of family digital video clips and jpeg files?
>
>Best bet is to stick them on a website

I do have space available at several vendors of websites; for example,
at Yahoo/Geocities.

Would it be possible to have an index web page resident there, but to
retrieve the video clips/jpeg files from my own XP Pro computer? I
gather that that would mean that my PC would have to be a FTP server ?

I presently make use of a couple of photo website Album pages, but
these are for thumbnail jpegs photo files, not video/mpegs, and there
is a limitation of 100 MB imposed.

Thanks for your input.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 4:51:34 AM

Vince <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> writes:

> On 31 Mar 2005 00:08:35 GMT, Barry Bean <bbbean@beancotton.com> wrote:
>
> >Vince <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> wrote in
> >

> >> How can an XP Pro computer with internet access (DSL/Cable) be used
> >> for distribution of family digital video clips and jpeg files?
> >
> >Best bet is to stick them on a website
>

> I do have space available at several vendors of websites; for example,
> at Yahoo/Geocities.
>
> Would it be possible to have an index web page resident there, but to
> retrieve the video clips/jpeg files from my own XP Pro computer? I
> gather that that would mean that my PC would have to be a FTP server ?

As I said, it is possible, but unless you know what you are doing, and pay for
getting a static IP address with business class service, it is not worth the
hassles. If you were still going to do it, I would first recomend converting
the PC to Linux or one of the BSDs, and make sure you stay up with the patches.

> I presently make use of a couple of photo website Album pages, but
> these are for thumbnail jpegs photo files, not video/mpegs, and there
> is a limitation of 100 MB imposed.

Get a better server with more space. I pay $9.95/month at webmasters.com, and
get a gigabyte of storage and 30 gigabytes of download bandwidth to use as I
see fit (as long as I don't break any laws). Of course I do have to build my
own web pages, but I suspect there are instant web builder kits out there.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org
http://www.the-meissners.org
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 7:38:22 AM

In article <rvhm4155u2il5mkhjuksftqt2uk2uus6ct@4ax.com>,
Vince <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 31 Mar 2005 00:08:35 GMT, Barry Bean <bbbean@beancotton.com> wrote:
>
> >Vince <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> wrote in
> >

> >> How can an XP Pro computer with internet access (DSL/Cable) be used
> >> for distribution of family digital video clips and jpeg files?
> >
> >Best bet is to stick them on a website
>

> I do have space available at several vendors of websites; for example,
> at Yahoo/Geocities.
>
> Would it be possible to have an index web page resident there, but to
> retrieve the video clips/jpeg files from my own XP Pro computer? I
> gather that that would mean that my PC would have to be a FTP server ?
>
> I presently make use of a couple of photo website Album pages, but
> these are for thumbnail jpegs photo files, not video/mpegs, and there
> is a limitation of 100 MB imposed.
>
> Thanks for your input.

Your machine would have to have a static IP address and run IIS which is
the web server that Microsoft wrote for Windows systems. IIS is a huge
security hole. You're better off putting your photos on Yahoo and let
them worry about managing the system end of the web server.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 7:39:22 AM

Look into such websites as Webshots (www.webshots.com), and Ofoto, etc.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

Vince wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:38:28 GMT, "Jim" <j.n@nospam.com> wrote:
>

>>"Vince" <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>How can an XP Pro computer with internet access (DSL/Cable) be used
>>>for distribution of family digital video clips and jpeg files?
>>>

>>Can't say about video clips - I don't do that. You send jpeg files via
>>email. Be careful not to send large files because some people don't
>>appreciate the time it takes to download them (using a 56K modem for
>>example).
>>Jim
>>

> My interest is specifically with video clips/mpeg taken with a SONY
> CyberShot camera, the P-100.
>
> For example: While my daughter was at my place with her twin 7 month
> olds, I used the SONY P-100 for a couple of video clips. Now, how can
> I get those (~200 MB) files to her computer w/o use of DVD/CD burning?
>
> There must be a procedure that takes advantage of Windows XP and a
> broadband ISP service, or, a way to link my XP with her XP computer
> w/o going through an ISP ? My ISP imposes a limitation on file size:
> 8 MB.

For file sizes of the magnitude, you need to explore the use of
something like CuteFTP. Just google for it.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 7:42:59 AM

Vince wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:02:32 +0100, "Tumbleweed"
> <thisaccountneverread@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>"Vince" <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>My interest is specifically with video clips/mpeg taken with a SONY
>>>CyberShot camera, the P-100.
>>>
>>>For example: While my daughter was at my place with her twin 7 month
>>>olds, I used the SONY P-100 for a couple of video clips. Now, how can
>>>I get those (~200 MB) files to her computer w/o use of DVD/CD burning?
>>>
>>>There must be a procedure that takes advantage of Windows XP and a
>>>broadband ISP service, or, a way to link my XP with her XP computer
>>>w/o going through an ISP ? My ISP imposes a limitation on file size:
>>>8 MB.
>>>

>>I have previously done this via a chat program to xfer a 500Mb file from UK
>>to US. Establish a session, and you can then send files. Cant recall what I
>>used, probably Yahoo Instant Messenger, but I imagine they will all do
>>similar. I hope your daughter has broadband as well as you?? You'll
>>obviously have to use an ISP, but they shouldnt see it as a 'file' being
>>transferred (I imagine thats an email limit?), just a stream of bits.
>

> I already am using ICQ; but would need to get others in family to
> install that program. Using something like ICQ would mean
> transferring the files in real time, to each destination/participant.
> I will think further about doing this, at least with my
> daughter/son-in-law; they do have broadband (Cable) ISP service.
>
> Both myself and daughter do use Yahoo.com and Netscape, but I have
> stayed away from all chat programs other than ICQ.
>
> Thanks for your input.

AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) will do what you want. WARNING,
indiscriminate use of such programs can leave you open to getting things
you don't want! Open program, send file, close program!

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 7:43:55 AM

Jim wrote:
> "Vince" <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>My interest is specifically with video clips/mpeg taken with a SONY
>>CyberShot camera, the P-100.
>>
>>For example: While my daughter was at my place with her twin 7 month
>>olds, I used the SONY P-100 for a couple of video clips. Now, how can
>>I get those (~200 MB) files to her computer w/o use of DVD/CD burning?
>>
>>There must be a procedure that takes advantage of Windows XP and a
>>broadband ISP service, or, a way to link my XP with her XP computer
>>w/o going through an ISP ? My ISP imposes a limitation on file size:
>>8 MB.
>>

> Sneakernet works much easier for things like this..
> Jim

Not if one of you is on the east side of the ocean, and the other on the
west....

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 7:45:12 AM

Roy wrote:
> "Vince" <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>How can an XP Pro computer with internet access (DSL/Cable) be used
>>for distribution of family digital video clips and jpeg files?
>>

> I can't think why you don't want to burn a Cd. That way your daughter would
> have a moderately permanent record.
>
> It strikes me as being much easier, than remote working via an ISP, and if
> your ISP limits you to an 8 Mb File, I don't see how you could send her a
> 200Mb File.
>
> How do you manage to download updates to Programs etc, with an 8 Mb
> restriction?
>
> Roy G

That's an email restriction on an email size. Mine allows only 5 mb for
each email.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 7:46:51 AM

Vince wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:37:01 GMT, "Dave R knows who"
> <kilbyfan@spamnotAOL.com> wrote:
>

>>"Roy" <royphoty@iona-guesthouse.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>>>"Roy" <royphoty@iona-guesthouse.co.uk> wrote in message

>>>Sorry. I should have said if both machines are on XP, then you could use
>>>"Remote Assistance" - See XP Help.
>>>
>>>I have never yet used this system, but one of my non-photographic friends
>>>uses it all the time to transfer data to and from his customers.
>>>
>>>Roy G
>>

>>The problem with such peer-to-peer connections (without a central hosts
>>handling the initial connection) is one of you is probably behind a router
>>and/ or firewall and so you may have to deal with the hassles of port
>>forwarding and Network Address Translation, and whether or not his/her ISP
>>is blocking inbound ftp/http. If he had that handled then he could easily
>>run a webpage of his XP machine or install a ftp server app, such as G6ftp
>
>>from www.gene6.com
>

> The one person that I do use ICQ with does have a router, and thus far
> he has not been able to accept any file transfers from myself.
>
> My son-in-law/daughter also make use of a wireless router; this might
> prevent the use of ICQ chat file transfers between us, as well.
>
> Thanks for your input.

AIM handles it just fine. Have sent files to my niece. We are both
behind firewalls, and routers.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 7:50:17 AM

Vince wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:06:25 GMT, "Roy"
> <royphoty@iona-guesthouse.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>"Vince" <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>How can an XP Pro computer with internet access (DSL/Cable) be used
>>>for distribution of family digital video clips and jpeg files?
>>>

>>I can't think why you don't want to burn a Cd. That way your daughter would
>>have a moderately permanent record.
>>
>>It strikes me as being much easier, than remote working via an ISP, and if
>>your ISP limits you to an 8 Mb File, I don't see how you could send her a
>>200Mb File.
>>
>>How do you manage to download updates to Programs etc, with an 8 Mb
>>restriction?
>>
>>Roy G
>>

> Distribution would probably be to more than just my daughter; perhaps
> as many of five people on my distribution list, if they have broadband
> service. It would not be efficient for me to deliver CDroms to each
> destination, whereas I get to see my grandchildren twins and their mom
> on Tuesdays and alternate Thursdays, as I am the volunteered
> babysitter ! Other destinations include LasVegas, NV and Tampa, FL,
> in addition to several locals.
>
> I should have been clearer; the limitation is on eMail attachments,
> not files in general, so program downloads via ISP are not an issue.

Perhaps multiple methods. For the pictures, the websites I mentioned
before, and for the larger files, you might find it practical to set up
an account with a webhosting operation so that you can upload the files
to their server and others can download them from there. The price
should be quite reasonable. Note the speed of uploading may give you
some concerns as a previous poster mentioned. While I have 3mbps
download speed, my upload is only 256kbps. A 200 MB file will take ages
to send.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 8:13:24 AM

> Would it be possible to have an index web page resident there, but to
> retrieve the video clips/jpeg files from my own XP Pro computer? I
> gather that that would mean that my PC would have to be a FTP server ?

Depending in your ISP, this may or may not work. Many ISPs offer a much
slower upload than download, and may have bandwidth restrictions.

Again, far and away the most versatile way to handle this is to use a pre-
existing web server.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 10:36:56 AM

Ron Hunter <rphunter@charter.net> writes:

> Jim wrote:
> > "Vince" <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>My interest is specifically with video clips/mpeg taken with a SONY
> >>CyberShot camera, the P-100.
> >>
> >>For example: While my daughter was at my place with her twin 7 month
> >>olds, I used the SONY P-100 for a couple of video clips. Now, how can
> >>I get those (~200 MB) files to her computer w/o use of DVD/CD burning?
> >>
> >>There must be a procedure that takes advantage of Windows XP and a
> >>broadband ISP service, or, a way to link my XP with her XP computer
> >>w/o going through an ISP ? My ISP imposes a limitation on file size:
> >>8 MB.
> >>
> > Sneakernet works much easier for things like this..
> > Jim
> >

> Not if one of you is on the east side of the ocean, and the other on the
> west....

Mailing CD/DVD's is fairly cheap, particularly if you don't need to overnight
it.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org
http://www.the-meissners.org
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 11:49:23 AM

Vince,

I use the "YouSendIt" service that allows you to send files up to 1 GB
for free and the recipient has 7 days to retrieve your files by
following a link they receive by email. So far, I have transferred many
huge pictures and videos to my family and friends and I am very
satisfied with this free this service.
And you can't beat the price: FREE

Try it for yourself and you will not be disappointed...

Did I mentionned that it was FREE? :)

http://s2.yousendit.com/

Vince wrote:

> How can an XP Pro computer with internet access (DSL/Cable) be used
> for distribution of family digital video clips and jpeg files?
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 11:49:24 AM

pIxEL8eD_nITs <not_my_email@nospam.gmail.com> writes:

> Vince,
>
> I use the "YouSendIt" service that allows you to send files up to 1 GB
> for free and the recipient has 7 days to retrieve your files by
> following a link they receive by email. So far, I have transferred many
> huge pictures and videos to my family and friends and I am very
> satisfied with this free this service.
> And you can't beat the price: FREE
>
> Try it for yourself and you will not be disappointed...

Unless the person on the other end is using dial-up or a similar slow pipe.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org
http://www.the-meissners.org
March 31, 2005 12:14:15 PM

Vince <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> wrote:

>There must be a procedure that takes advantage of Windows XP and a
>broadband ISP service, or, a way to link my XP with her XP computer
>w/o going through an ISP ? My ISP imposes a limitation on file size:
>8 MB.

Well you could set up a ftp server on your machine or her machine. My
bud is using a server he retrieved from http://www.warftp.org/ to
which I send interesting photo's. Now he does not have a fixed ip but
it has not rolled in months so that makes it easy for us.

Now if the ip rolls alot, just google around for references to dynamic
dns ddns and you will find a method to help you make sure you can
contact each machine as dhcp rolls your addresses.

If you set this up, you can send the files or put them up for her to
retrieve. Sequencing when both of you have idle bandwidth is the only
issue.

I'd also try to resolve what netblocks are in use (ranges of
addresses) to only open a small hole in your firewall. I hope you do
have a firewall.

hth,

Wes