Another... Radeon HD 5770 BSOD Problem

lolzebracakes

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
I built my computer about a year ago and decided to go with a Radeon HD 5770 Graphics Card. Everything was working smoothly up until a month ago when I made the decision to Crossfire my system. After reading and trying numerous solutions to the BSOD problem I am still stuck. This only happens when I try to play 3D games (WoW, Diablo 2 etc.) and it happens totally at random.

Typical Errors:

1. Screen freezes and I am forced to hard reboot it. When the Windows Recovery comes up I am stuck with a BSOD error.

2. Screen freezes then I receive a BSOD.

3. Screen goes completely black and computer reboots.

What I have tried:

1. Rolling back the drivers.

2. Uninstalling the drivers then using driver sweep to remove any traces. Then reinstall the latest ATI drivers (I think the current driver version was released on 6/15/11).

Reading around on the forums it appears that this is only happening on Win 64x systems (what I am running). Ive also read that it could be a Power Supply issue but I don't think that this is the case.

Frustrated.

Seikent

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2007
I think that the PSU is to blame. The symptoms make it likely. Try to borrow a PSU to test :).

Other tips:

Remember that you must use only 1 crossfire bridge, using 2 can make the system unstable.

Try each video card by itself to discard a faulty card.

PD: i got a hd5770 crossfire on win7 x64 with the latest drivers and it works fine.