Adding wireless

tmlim

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
I currently have a DLink DI-604 router, and I'm wondering what's the cheapest way to add wireless to my house. Would it be best to just buy a new wireless router and toss the other aside? Keep in mind, that I still want to have 3 hard wired connections.

Thanks!

"A delayed game will eventually come out, a bad game is bad forever."
-Shigeru Miyamoto

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
Typically ROuter/AP combos (Wireless routers) are cheaper than dedicated Access Points (AP). If someone gave you an AP for instance you'd just attach that to a port on your switch with cat5 and you'd have wireless connectivity to any client with a wireless card. Aside from a free AP, then I'd probably just replace your existing router with one that has wireless capabilities.

TheCh0s3n1

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2005
To add to Kwebb's last statement in his post...

Whatever wireless router you purchase should also have four ethernet (LAN) ports so that you will be able to maintain those three hard-wired connections.

tmlim

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
Thanks for the tips guys!

I have noticed that most wireless routers have ethernet ports on them anyway.

"A delayed game will eventually come out, a bad game is bad forever."
-Shigeru Miyamoto

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
Every router has at least one LAN side ethernet port. Wouldn't be a router without it. When these SOHO NAT routers started to surface there were quite a few that only had the one LAN interface, one port for PC's. Perhaps there are still some out there though I doubt it. By and large they all have at least 4 LAN ports.