Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Which one for gaming?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
December 9, 2011 4:32:21 PM

AMD CPU PHEN2 X4 960T or I3 2100 wich one should I go with?
thanks in advanced.

More about : gaming

a c 186 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
December 9, 2011 4:53:28 PM

i5-2500k if possible, but i3 is future proof for ivybridge.
a b à CPUs
December 9, 2011 11:37:22 PM

im gna disagree with ya muffin, i would go phenII just coz of the 2 extra cores, even though there not useful atm, in time when game engines advance they will be
Related resources
December 10, 2011 12:06:13 AM

the best option is intel i3 2100.
a c 86 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
December 10, 2011 12:38:43 AM

2100 is the better gaming CPU. Rumor now has it you won't be able to just pop in IB however. It will allow you to use faster SB CPUs in the future however.
December 10, 2011 1:27:58 AM

I would say go with the phenom2. Based on raw performance for each core, the i3 beats the phenom but if you can overclock the phenom, you'll be getting similar performance if not better. Plus you get two extra cores.

If you are concerned with future proofing your rig, my advice would be i5 2500k with a p67 board.
a c 186 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
December 10, 2011 1:47:44 AM

hybr33d said:
I would say go with the phenom2. Based on raw performance for each core, the i3 beats the phenom but if you can overclock the phenom, you'll be getting similar performance if not better. Plus you get two extra cores.

If you are concerned with future proofing your rig, my advice would be i5 2500k with a p67 board.

i3 is hyperthreaded :p 
a c 186 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
December 10, 2011 1:47:58 AM

4745454b said:
2100 is the better gaming CPU. Rumor now has it you won't be able to just pop in IB however. It will allow you to use faster SB CPUs in the future however.

Don't they both use 1155?
a c 86 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
December 10, 2011 2:20:29 AM

Yes, and rumor had it all you'd need is a bios update to run IB. Last I read on S/A was that this won't be the case anymore. Both for P67 and Z68 boards.
December 10, 2011 4:56:01 AM

I've heard H61, H67, P67 and Z68 motherboards will be compatible with a BIOS update... and manufacturers like Asus and Gigabyte are advertising Ivy Bridge compatibility on a lot of their existing motherboards.

Asus' website has a list of motherboards that supposedly have native BIOS support here:
http://event.asus.com/2011/mb/PCIe3_Ready/

My Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 advertised Ivy Bridge compatibility on the front of the box... and Gigabyte has a list of compatible motherboards as well:
http://www.gigabyte.us/press-center/news-page.aspx?nid=...
December 10, 2011 11:20:00 AM

if u are going to buy now are later pls wait for some more time ivy bridge is going to arrive on march 2012 so u can get a increased performance for a better price..ivy bridge processors will support all 1155 socket mobos..
a c 186 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
December 11, 2011 3:26:27 AM

4745454b said:
Sorry, it was fud and not S/A.

http://www.fudzilla.com/processors/item/21621-ivy-bridg...

Again, rumors so who knows what will happen.

If I have to buy another motherboard and cpu again................and put it into the case and hook everything back up...........
a c 86 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
December 11, 2011 4:35:43 AM

Check out the IB rumor sticky. At first they were telling me about all the boards that claim to support it. But then I was able to back up what the "PCH" was and thats the issue with the board. I haven't heard back from anyone yet.

It is Fud, and its rumor at this point. Could go either way. Just don't be too terribly surprised if you need to...
a c 186 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
December 11, 2011 7:33:17 AM

4745454b said:
Check out the IB rumor sticky. At first they were telling me about all the boards that claim to support it. But then I was able to back up what the "PCH" was and thats the issue with the board. I haven't heard back from anyone yet.

It is Fud, and its rumor at this point. Could go either way. Just don't be too terribly surprised if you need to...

Ugh if it doesn't support 1155.............
a b à CPUs
December 11, 2011 8:14:54 AM

The i3-2100 definetely. Plus, with the LGA1155 platform, you'll have upgrade options (Ivy Bridge) in the future, whereas the AM3/AM3+ platform is dead for most of us, AMD stopped shipping Phenom II/Athlon II, and i don't have to tell how much Bulldozer has failed. So the i3-2100 and LGA1155 is the way to go.
!