I7 desktop for video editing?

nrlopez

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
Hi, guys!

Really found this site the most useful (and friendly) for computer questions and needs... so, I thought I'd join the party and ask a few questions myself.

I've been doing a lot of video editing recently (I am a dslr videographer). I edit events, short-films, etc. All this time, I've been using a core i5 laptop... it's served me well so far. However, it has come to my attention that the lappy has its limits.. esp. when it comes to previewing in Sony Vegas or working in After Effects. So, I've decided to give the lappy a little rest and invest on a new desktop. Im not an expert at desktop-ing (if there's such a word), so I wonder if you guys could help me out? Im planning to buy a new desktop next week with these specs: (what you guys think?)

- Intel core i7 2600k
- Gigabyte Z68MA-D2h (B3) Z68/4DDR3/ MB
- Kingston 4gb DDR3 Hyper X genesis 1600Mhz x4 =16gb of RAM
- WD 1TB Sata 3.0 7200RPM Blue
- Asus 24B3ST 24X SATA black DVDRW
- Powercolor ATI HD 6850 1GB DDR5 256BIT DVI HDMI VC
- Thermaltake Spacecraft USB3.0 Gaming Case
- FSP AURUM 600 80PLUS GOLD SLI 600WATS Power Supply
- Win7 home prem 64bit
- still deciding on a monitor.. but would a 23" inch be good? (i already have a 20"..so this is going to go dual)

So.. what you guys think? Is this powerful enough? What can I improve? When I have more cash, I plan to buy more drives (SSD probably?)

Need your thoughts dear masters.. would love to get the best bang for my buck! :) thanks!

Any help will be appreciated! thanks :)

Looks good except for one thing. With the 2nd generation Intel® Core™ processors like the Intel Core i7-2600K you want to be using memory that is rated at 1.5v ±5%.the memory that you are using is ddr3 1600 and most like 1.6v, which can damage the processor and void your warranty.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

nrlopez

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011

I see.. the PSU not well enough for overclocking? as for the motherboard.. I think its the best for my budget..

well, i think i will be spending well over 1000+ dollars.. but shouldnt exceed 1500+ yeah..

nrlopez

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011

I see.. thanks for you reply! So what's a solution to this? :) What kind of RAM should I be getting instead? :)