XMP Profile

tech_twist

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
Just want to ask because im just curious about XMP. what does it actually do when i enable the XMP profile? i tried to enable it but didnt notice much of a difference. does it really help when gaming or doing other things for editing?

Solution
If you purchase performance memory, it allows the motherboard to use the performance values of the memory. The JEDEC memory standard is DDR3-1600 CL11, so when you have memory better than this, an additional profile is added to the memory known as Extreme Memory Profile (XMP). When the feature is enabled in your motherboard BIOS/EFI, the motherboard utilizes this profile from the embedded XMP Profile in the RAM. As a result, you don't have to manually input settings for the memory, everything is ready to go as long as your enable XMP. Enabling XMP allows the motherboard to automatically configure DRAM frequency, timings, and voltage according the the RAM's rated specifications.

If you purchased performance memory, why not use it to...
In real world application performance you won't notice much of a difference as you've found out (i.e. usually less than ten percent performance improvement from the default JEDEC DDR3 1333 to the overclocked DDR3 XMP-1600 speed which is barely noticeable). With some applications there will be a zero percent difference in performance (i.e. the bottleneck is not memory performance).

If all you ever do is run memory benchmarks then you will notice it.

If you purchase performance memory, it allows the motherboard to use the performance values of the memory. The JEDEC memory standard is DDR3-1600 CL11, so when you have memory better than this, an additional profile is added to the memory known as Extreme Memory Profile (XMP). When the feature is enabled in your motherboard BIOS/EFI, the motherboard utilizes this profile from the embedded XMP Profile in the RAM. As a result, you don't have to manually input settings for the memory, everything is ready to go as long as your enable XMP. Enabling XMP allows the motherboard to automatically configure DRAM frequency, timings, and voltage according the the RAM's rated specifications.

If you purchased performance memory, why not use it to it's full potential. As others have mentioned, it may be an unnoticeable difference during normal usage, but you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between DDR2 and DDR3 while surfing the internet and doing normal stuff anyway. Point is, the performance will be there when you need it, whether it is significant to the human eye or not. Faster is faster. ;)

Thank you
GSKILL SUPPORT

Solution
Real World 1%~5% depending on the task, and as mentioned XMP sets: DRAM Frequency, Deep CAS Timings beyond CL-RCD-RP-RAS-CR 9-9-9-24-2N and more like 9-9-9-24-2N-41-128-2-6-12-6-6 RC~RTP, DRAM Voltage, and in some cases XMP 1.3 PLL & VCCIO Voltages.

Example see Extreme Memory Profile 1.3 - http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af254/Jaquith/AIDA64-Extreme-SPD.jpg

Here's a decent article, it's on the SB and there's little differences except in pure synthetics but you'll get the idea - http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/memory/2011/01/11/the-best-memory-for-sandy-bridge/1