Multiple Psu's not working please help!

G

Hi,

I bought a brand new corsair 600w power supply, hooked it up to the new system and nothing powers, not even the psu fan. I then Tested it completely detached from the system with one of the case fans and nothing happens either. The psu still makes a very faint high pitched noise but won't power anything. I then test a different fan with an old 350w psu from an old working computer and the same thing is now happening!

I am very frustrated and don't know what's going on!

Please help!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you are trying to test a fan alone with a PSU and the PSU is not plugged into the motherboard, it won't power up. That's normal. It has to be plugged into the board or the 24 pin connector jumpered to think it's plugged into the board.

andy_in_kenya

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011

Excuse me - how come that I and a lot of other people can do the 'paper clip' test? That's been working for me on EVERY PSU (and in 15 years of doing hardware repairs I have seen quite a number of them) completely unplugged from the motherboard (unless that PSU was faulty indeed). Of course I can't know what other people do... Maybe they fiddle with a paper clip on a suspected faulty PSU while the mobo is connected and risk to blow up anything? Nope mate, I don't think so.
And erm, yes, you need to 'jumper' the plug... But not to make the PSU 'believe' it's under load. You have to bridge the green 'Power ON' wire to any black ground wire. That's what the paper clip does... And the *only* 'jumper' to be applied.

Honestly, times where antique smps required an external load to fire up have long gone... at least in PCs.

No offense here, but really. It is not normal. Anybody here to correct me? ;)

Cheers!

It's your comprehension of clutchs post that's off.
Nowhere did he claim that a load was needed.

andy_in_kenya

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011

Well, of course I may have misunderstood what he wanted to say. If he just meant to say that the PSU needs a logic signal to actually power up, yes you can only achieve that by either plugging the 24 pin to the mobo and using the casings power button and circuitry on the mobo OR the paper clip on an unplugged one...

Still I believe if I have been misunderstanding clutch's statement, many others, especially 'newbies' to the technological backgrounds might be put on the 'wrong rail' as well.

Anyway and once again, I didn't mean to offend clutchc. I was just thinking that 'Anonymous' naturally bridged the power-on to turn the PSU on... Just anticipating he actually knows that you'd have to...

Put it down to the fact that I'm in Kenya and it was already past midnight when I posted. :sleep:

So I hope there's no baid air now due to my comment, mates...
Best
Andy