Sign in with
Your question

Replacing cpu old cooler ok?

Last response: in CPUs
December 9, 2011 5:29:10 PM

Hi,

im replacing my cpu to an i5 2500k and know it comes with a cooler but have heard it makes a racket, now i have a cooler already (obviously) so can i use that as its very quiet, it has the copper pipes on it. would that be better then the stock cooler anyway?

anyone had experience with the stock cooler with the i5?

Cheers,

Dan.

More about : replacing cpu cooler

December 9, 2011 6:16:51 PM

From what I've read on these forums from 2xxxk owners is that a nice OC can be performed with the stock cooler. Only way to know of sure is to find some benchmarks for coolers that includes the one you one you own that compares the stock cooler/HS. You could always try the testing yourself and documenting your temps. Copper pipes doesn't necessarily mean it's going to better than one without.

Eventually someone will have the same or a very similar question of yours and may see your findings helpful of temp comparisons.
December 9, 2011 7:34:51 PM

i have been thinking and do you think it would be worth just getting the cooler master hyper 212 evo and be done with it lol. my cooler is 4 years old plus it would be better contact with fresh paste etc.
Related resources
a c 190 à CPUs
December 9, 2011 8:19:58 PM

With the stock cooler you can reach maybe 4GHz but after that you want to make sure that you have a good 3rd party cooler. I have a Cooler Master 212 + on my Intel® Core™ i7-2600K and have been very happy with the performance of it.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
December 10, 2011 5:19:02 PM

ok just dont want it making a lot of noise, i guess i can install it all with the stock cooler see how it goes then if it gets on my nerves ill put the evo in, as an intel enthusiast do you know how loud the stock is compared to a evo?

Cheers.
a c 190 à CPUs
December 10, 2011 8:05:34 PM

It really comes down to the environment. With my current step up I don't hear any more noise from the two fans on the Cooler Master Hyper 212 + then I did on the stock cooler. I get about 5c better temperatures from the.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
December 10, 2011 10:08:41 PM

ok so theres no difference in noise between stock cooler and cooler master +? the thermal paste on the stock cooler should that be cleaned off and decent stuff used or is that fine to just fix on the cpu out of the box?
!