setting folders permantly in Explorer

Hi,
How can I permanently make it so that when I open up my files, my folders automatically appear on the left panel? I tried setting it via the usual Folder Options but it never persists through the next opening of Explorer (File Manager).

Thanks,

Mitch

Why doesn't Windows keep my folder settings?

Increase Folder View Options Limit: (Line 2)
The Default for Windows XP is to remember the view settings for the 400 most
recently used folders. This regedit changes the settings to 8000. To use the
Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to
the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by right clicking on the
file and selecting Edit.

"Mitch" <Mitch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> How can I permanently make it so that when I open up my files, my folders
automatically appear on the left panel? I tried setting it via the usual Folder
Options but it never persists through the next opening of Explorer (File
Manager).

> Thanks,
>
> Mitch

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I want to make the same modification that Mitch does, so
I tried the fix below. It did not have the desired
effect. After applying the fix, when I open Explorer the
folders panel is not active.

Can anyone else help on this?

Dan

Hi Taurarian

Sorry, but this didn't do the trick. I had some doubts about this as "My Documents" is something I access everyday, thus it shouldn't be buried beyond 400 most recently used folders. There must be a way to force the left panel on folders.

Thanks.
Mitch

"Mitch" wrote:

> Hi,
> How can I permanently make it so that when I open up my files, my folders automatically appear on the left panel? I tried setting it via the usual Folder Options but it never persists through the next opening of Explorer (File Manager).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mitch

Perhaps this will be of interest to you
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307856
HOW TO: Customize the Windows Explorer Views in Windows XP
Explorer.exe Command-Line Options for Windows XP

> Hi Taurarian
>
> Sorry, but this didn't do the trick. I had some doubts about this as "My
Documents" is something I access everyday, thus it shouldn't be buried beyond
400 most recently used folders. There must be a way to force the left panel on
folders.

> Thanks.
> Mitch
>
> "Mitch" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > How can I permanently make it so that when I open up my files, my folders
automatically appear on the left panel? I tried setting it via the usual Folder
Options but it never persists through the next opening of Explorer (File
Manager).

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mitch

TRENDING THREADS