Closed Solved

Is an FX-4100 worth $55?

I received an email from Micro Center this morning informing me that if I purchase an FX-6100 or -4100 they will knock $50 off of select MBs. One of the motherboards on the list is one I have been planning my build around. Since I have already budgeted for the board, regardless of CPU, I see this as a $50 discount from the $105 FX-4100.

The question is, should I purchase the FX-4100 for $55 or the Phenom II X4 840 for $60?

Either way I plan to upgrade the CPU in 6-9 months.
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 4100 worth
  1. Best answer
    i would get the 4100 as its new tech and its overclockerble by 1ghz quite easy

just put one in overclocked it and was quite impressed for a cheap processor

840s old tech now !!
  2. I agree 840 does not have L3 cache and any OC would need to be done the old fashoined way as the multiplies is locked...
  3. If the Phenom II was a black edition likely to reach a 4.0Ghz overclock I would vote that... but since the 4100 is going to have much better overclocking head room in this case it gets my vote.
  4. for the first time i can say that the FX 4100 processor is worth it at $55. It would be nice if you could spring a few extra dollars and get a phenom II x4 955 though, it would be well worth it.
  5. The board I want is not part of the Phenom II bundles unfortunately only the 8xx chipsets are.
  6. lilcinw said:
    The board I want is not part of the Phenom II bundles unfortunately only the 8xx chipsets are.

then get an 8xx chipset board. there is no real difference except the 9xx boards officially support the FX chips, but most of the 8xx boards will work with the fx chips too. but since the fx chips suck, it really doesnt matter. do yourself a favour and get the 8xxx board and a phenom II x4.
  7. Thanks all for your input. I purchased the FX-4100 with the Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 today and am enjoying it so far.
  8. Best answer selected by lilcinw.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs