Would motherboard start up without cpu?

G

hello,
I was just wondering if a motherboard would start up at all without the cpu - by that i mean would the monitor detect the motherboard/ display anything on the screen at all? I got an ASUS Maximus V Gene mobo and i'm nearly finished my gaming build (all i need to get is a cpu, graphic card and a watercooling loop). i currently have 2 sticks of 4GB RAM installed in dual channel and a corsair power supply connected to mb (24 pin & 8 pin cpu, hdd and dvd drive), didn't turn it on yet though just in case something bad would happen.

So would anything display at all after i power on the mobo?

Thanks in advance for all who replies.

Solution
Nothing will happen without a CPU.
Other things like fans and such will turn on, as the power signal from the mobo to the PSU does not require a CPU to work, but nothing will display on the screen.

cl-scott

Honorable
While I may very well be proven wrong on this, motherboards are really not my particular area, but everything I learned being a hardware tech for 3 years says that, at most, you will get a beep code that indicates no CPU. In general however, the BIOS (and now UEFI) rely on the CPU to process the basic instructions.

G

I just turned my motherboard on and tested it out, everything (fans, power supply, motherboard) turns on - does this mean that nothing is being processed? - like you said the BIOS relies on CPU.

TRENDING THREADS