What else should I pick up from Micro Center?

akdmx

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Hello All,

This weekend I'm going to be visiting home briefly. There happens to be a micro center about 15 minutes from my house, which is perfect because I'm currently planning my first computer build. I'm definitely going to be picking up an i5-2500k processor. Other than that, I have found that newegg has lower prices on the rest of the items I want.

I want to take advantage of this opportunity to shop Micro Center because it could be months before I get another chance. Does Micro Center do any other great deals other than these processors? I looked at their cpu/mobo combos, but they don't bundle it with the GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3, which I would like to get (Tom's Hardware $100-160 winner).

I don't expect you guys to be my personal shoppers or anything, but for reference here are some of the parts I'm in the market for:

CM HAF922
Corsair modular 600+watt PSU
GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3
6950 or 560ti
cheapo optical drive
HDD

Does micro center generally have killer prices on anything other than processors?

Thanks!

rvilkman

Distinguished
From experience I would say if you can find a mobo combo those are usually worth it from microcenter. The i5 2500k for sure unless you can find a really nice combo from newegg.

Graphics cards are generally not worth it from microcenter, they are much more expensive than newegg.

CPU coolers such as the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ is about the same price at microcenter as elsewhere so it is fine to buy from there.

So the answer on the question would be generally that: yes on motherboards if they have a nice combo you can use with the CPU.
Otherwise you are usually better off elsewhere.

genghiskron

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
if you try adding an i5-2500k and an asus p8z68-V to your cart, you will notice that you get $40 off that particular mobo, which is a great deal.

alternatively, you get $80 off any Z68 mobo (including the ud3) if you purchase the i7-2600k at microcenter, which is an appealing option, imo.

If you plan to crossfire/sli the hd6950 or gtx 560 ti, id get a 750w psu or more.