Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Spark coming of the psu or socket

Last response: in Components
Share
December 9, 2011 7:11:38 PM

Hi people,

I need quick help here, whenever I turn the switch on on the wall socket I get a bang! and sometimes a spark. Sometimes I can see the spark on the back of the PSU of my comp.
The other day it did a big bang! on the wall socket again with a big spark and the electricity main switch which is on the garage (for the sockets of my plant) turned off as it should when there is a problem.

I tried to plug the pc without using my 6sockets extension, just plugging it directly to the wall and it did the same, just the bang on the wall socket switch as I switched it on.I took the case downstairs and plugged it in one of the sockets and I don't think it did it,I used it a few days.

Now I decided to take it back to my room again but using another socket, I tried it a few times, on off, on off..it did the same,in one of the ocasions I saw a spark on the back of the psu.So I decided to leave it on and don't switch it on-off by now.

Is this psu about to die or what?or a problem on the sockets? I spoke to the electrician and he said it was the extension I was using...but not a chance as I tried without it.
December 9, 2011 10:24:04 PM

I would replace that psu immediately that sounds like to me that could be headed for a major failure. If you can get your hands on another psu to test that would be ideal but honestly sounds like that psu is about to fail.


damian86 said:
Hi people,

I need quick help here, whenever I turn the switch on on the wall socket I get a bang! and sometimes a spark. Sometimes I can see the spark on the back of the PSU of my comp.
The other day it did a big bang! on the wall socket again with a big spark and the electricity main switch which is on the garage (for the sockets of my plant) turned off as it should when there is a problem.

I tried to plug the pc without using my 6sockets extension, just plugging it directly to the wall and it did the same, just the bang on the wall socket switch as I switched it on.I took the case downstairs and plugged it in one of the sockets and I don't think it did it,I used it a few days.

Now I decided to take it back to my room again but using another socket, I tried it a few times, on off, on off..it did the same,in one of the ocasions I saw a spark on the back of the psu.So I decided to leave it on and don't switch it on-off by now.

Is this psu about to die or what?or a problem on the sockets? I spoke to the electrician and he said it was the extension I was using...but not a chance as I tried without it.

a c 140 ) Power supply
December 9, 2011 11:39:07 PM

If your computer system is plugged into a wall receptacle that is controlled by a residential-type light switch, stop using it immediately. Low quality 'light' switches are not rated for powering devices like computer equipment. Keep your computer plugged into an outlet not controlled by a light switch. The 'bang' you heard was no doubt the electrical arc inside the wall switch. Arcing can trip a circuit breaker just as well as an overload.
Related resources
December 10, 2011 12:18:22 PM

No, no, my computer is just connected to the outlet as you say,I connected it to the one in my room and then I connected on the second socket my 6 socket extension(the ones we use for pc equipment just a normal one) the rest of the periphrals such as speakers desktop lamp mouse charger and monitor.

pic
December 10, 2011 1:45:17 PM

The electrician probably means the extension(s) from the circuit breaker located on a wall panel somewhere. There can be 2 or 3 or more wall outlets, usually in the same room, connected to 1 circuit breaker. It sounds like a circuit problem in that line, that's why you didn't see the problem when you moved the computer to another room. A loose wire somewhere in the connections could be the problem or it could be something else. This really requires the services of an electrician....or you can just live with it until you burn something up.
December 12, 2011 1:45:32 PM

Thank you both for the answers from your point of view.
I think I have a 450w psu somewhere, I can use to test the socket, just plugging it tothe socket,right? and then I can take my psu out of the case and try it, same as the other one.

I am concerned with the electricity upstairs because (its a new house) but the switch of the electrical shower on my mum's on suite had to be replaced as it was burning all the time. First time the electrician told me it was normal as it has an adapter inside..but after a few weeks it started to become hotter so I called him again and he had to change it and said that the inside parts were all burnt...! Silly, no?

What do you think of this? DelroyMonjo, does this make sense?

Now I have to be quite sure of where is the problem to see if I have to call him again or another electrician who know what he does..
a b ) Power supply
December 12, 2011 1:48:44 PM

If the PSU is making a sparking sound It could well be the lead your using.

I had this for a few weeks. The lead I was using was SCREWED. So I bought a new one and the PSU has had no sign of Sparks or anything bad for that matter.
December 12, 2011 7:22:12 PM

Hi damian86,

I'm sorry to say this, bu it looks pretty much as if you've got a bad job done upstairs. I'd be very careful with putting any load on those wall outlets, especially if you're not around to watch them. Sounds a bit like bad connections inside the sockets, lose wires and such. FIRE HAZARD! Get it sorted as soon as possible, and DO NOT USE ANY HEAVY LOADS on those sockets. Your computer is one. Well, anything is a heavy load on a bad electrical contact. Problem: A bad contact becomes hot, a hot contact becomes worse, a worse contact becomes even hotter... >>> FIRE!

So do me a favour and get those sockets fixed. I may be wrong with this sort of remote diagnosis, but for the sake of your safety, get the sockets checked, please. And even make sure they have used the right wire size for those 13 Amp sockets. That would be another possible problem. People trying to save a few pence on material...

Best
Andy
!