E8500 VS QX9650

Status
Not open for further replies.

monsta

Splendid
Hey guys just wanted your opinion, I'm currently running a E8500 on my rig with 560ti SLI, I have found a cheap QX9650, would I see much of a performance increase going from a E8500 C2D to a QX9650 quad? (Both overclocked)

Would this push more guts to my 560ti SLI set up for gaming to give me better performance in games like BF3? I'm sure it will make some difference , but will it be much?

I know that BF3 isn't too CPU intensive but would it make much of a difference using a dual core compared to quad core for the SLI? Not even sure what games use all 4 cores.
Should I not waste my money or time and just upgrade the whole rig when Ivy comes out?

I know the rig is old , but its still pretty good, I just keep saying ill upgrade next gen and then next gen and I still have it.LOL

E8500 OC @ 4Ghz
ASUS STRIKER II Extreme 790i Ultra
OCZ 4 GB RAM (Had 8GB but one stick died just recently)
300GB WD Velociraptor
2 x Gigabyte 560ti SLI OC @1080i
ENERMAX Revolution 85+ 1050W
Thermaltake Armour LCS

monsta

Splendid
The E8500 appears to be topping out in BF3 and a couple of other games, just hoping the QX9650 will eleviate this problem and give me more headroom.

I had 8GB in ram in dual and lost 4GB of ram due to a faulty stick, would it be worth getting more than 4GB?

I just can't judge the difference cos the stick died when I first installed BF3.

Depends on the game. Some games make better use of multiple cores than others. Realistically your dual core should be able to achieve a higher clock speed at safe temps than a quad core. Unless you can find it for like $100 it may not be worth it to you. If I was you I'd probably spend up to $150 just to keep it kicking a little longer :D

Status
Not open for further replies.