Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Max Memory for GA-M68MT-S2 ?

Last response: in Motherboards
September 18, 2012 1:47:15 PM

Hi,

On this motherboard GA-M68MT-S2 I have two 4gig strips. ( it only has two slots)

Would it take two 8gb strips for a max 16gigs of memory?

If so what type of memory would I be limited to?

Thanks in advance ;) 

More about : max memory m68mt

Related resources
September 18, 2012 5:27:41 PM

Right, thanks. I had looked there as well previously. I suppose I am being to literal and mincing words when I ask "does that mean 8gb per ram slot?" or is that 8gb combined system ram?

Thanks in advance

Best solution

a c 198 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
September 18, 2012 5:39:44 PM

8GB total, officially. This 2 DIMMs of 4GB each.

It may support 16GB, unofficially, but 8GB will more than meet the needs of most users.

BTW, do you already have this motherboard? If not, are you open to suggestions to one with fewer limitations?
September 18, 2012 10:31:42 PM

Thanks :)  and sadly yes I already have it. Would be open to suggestions though for changing it out. I have the AMD FX 6 core processor in it with the ATI Radeon HD 6770 I believe. I do some light gaming with it but now have a need for some heavier video editing with adobe premier. It would seem I could use more ram when it comes to this. Their software engine seems to go RAM>CPU>GPU in that order of importance.
September 19, 2012 3:15:44 PM

Nice, thanks for all the info, very helpful.
September 19, 2012 3:15:58 PM

Best answer selected by meatshield.
September 21, 2012 7:44:24 PM

**update**

Well Derp to me, I got two 8gb strips put them in, turned it on and I got a black screen, totally froze up...le sigh. Just had to try it lol. I now know the answer to my question though.

Also the video card I bought as an upgrade was delivered by amazon completely damaged, the fan and or housing on this was so bent the fan woudn't even turn. The box looked like it fell of a 3 story building.
a c 198 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
September 21, 2012 8:48:30 PM

Sorry and WOW! Bad news indeed.
November 6, 2012 10:27:42 PM

meatshield said:
**update**

Well Derp to me, I got two 8gb strips put them in, turned it on and I got a black screen, totally froze up...le sigh. Just had to try it lol. I now know the answer to my question though.

Also the video card I bought as an upgrade was delivered by amazon completely damaged, the fan and or housing on this was so bent the fan woudn't even turn. The box looked like it fell of a 3 story building.

hmm... even after reading your response, I still want to try it. I'm reading the motherboard's user manual now (for the Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2), and on page 8, it says, "2 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 16GB of system memory... Dual channel memory architecture... Support for DDR3 1600/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules (Go to GIGABYTE's website for the latest supported memory speeds and memory modules.)"

Could the BIOS update impact the max supported memory?
!