Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Please review my build

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 9, 2011 9:39:11 PM

I've finalized my new build after allot of research and recommendations, Looking to see if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks For the Help!

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the week


Budget Range: ~1000


System Usage from Most to Least Important: games, movies, CAD, Photo editing, internet


Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse


Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg, but I dont mind buying elsewhere for deals


Country of Origin: USA


Parts Preferences: Intel CPU


Overclocking: Most likely in the future, but not initially


Crossfire: may purchase another graphics card next year, but will most likely upgrade to a single next gen card


Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

I have one additional question, should I purchase thermal compound for the cpu cooler or will the stock compound be good enough? and if so what should I get


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU
219.99
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU Cooler
29.99
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU
264.99-20.00MIR=244.99
SAPPHIRE 100312-3SR Radeon HD 6950 Dirt3 Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Motherboard
159.99
GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM
52.99
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU
149.99-20.00MIR=129.99
PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 950W High Performance 80PLUS Silver SLI CrossFire ready Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HDD
59.99
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CASE
79.99
LIAN LI K60B Black CECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

TOTAL ------> 1,038.91 Before rebates_------> 998.91 After MIR

More about : review build

September 10, 2011 12:09:13 AM

Very nice build did you consider a SSD to hold your OS and the Spinpoint for storage.
m
0
l
September 10, 2011 4:04:17 AM

Spending around 200 for a good SSD inst in my budget, and I can deal with slower load times for now, id rather spend that money on other components. I'll probably wait until SSD prices drop and I have some more money if I decide to buy one. One question though how hard will it be, if I decide to get an SSD down the road, to transfer my operating system from my HDD to it? will I have to do a clean install?
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

September 10, 2011 4:33:08 AM

A 750w psu is more than enough juice to push dual 6950's and leave you plenty left over.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $147.98 - $10.00 Mail In Rebates FREE SHIPPING
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9B

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $124.99 $10 off w/ promo code EMCKAKA32, ends 9/15
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-DL-DVI-I-SL-DVI-D-PCI-Ex... $264.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Sapphire DIRT 3 EDITION Radeon HD 6950 2 GB DDR5 DL-DVI-I/SL-DVI-D/HDMI/DP PCI-Express Graphics Card 100312-3SR

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z68%20Extre... <---- a better look at that board

http://www.asrock.com/microsite/PCIe3/ <---- PCI-E 3.0 supported by Ivy Bridge
Share
September 10, 2011 5:24:21 AM

The Extreme3 Gen3 was actually my first choice when I started putting this build together(low price, PCIe 3.0) but a few people on other forums strongly recommended the more expensive gigabyte board. They did not give specifics, but I don't know enough about motherboards to really be able to tell all the differences between them. Are there any benefits to getting the gigabyte? Is the gigabyte going to last longer/ be more durable?
m
0
l
September 10, 2011 5:27:35 AM

naf5058 said:
The Extreme3 Gen3 was actually my first choice when I started putting this build together(low price, PCIe 3.0) but a few people on other forums strongly recommended the more expensive gigabyte board. They did not give specifics, but I don't know enough about motherboards to really be able to tell all the differences between them. Are there any benefits to getting the gigabyte? Is the gigabyte going to last longer/ be more durable?

Gigabyte makes great boards and they have a 3 year warranty vs Asrocks two year warranty. You can't go wrong with either board though imo.
m
0
l
September 10, 2011 10:24:12 PM

I made a few changes that brought the total down around 50 bucks. 750w pc Power and cooling psu and the asrock extreme3 gen3 you recommended. I think the PSU will provide plenty of power for me, as my upgrade plan will most likely be a single next gen card instead of crossfire/sli. Now with rebates the price will be right around 900$. Im leaning toward spending the extra cash on an SSD. Does anyone have recommendations as to which I should get? Installing the OS on it will be 20-30gig so how much do i need for applications/games? Based on articles i figure most games wont benefit other than loading times, which doesn't bother me to much. The only game I plan on buying that would use an SSD for would be Elder Scrolls Skyrim(not positive how much space this would use up but say 20Gb or so. What other applications would benefit the most from being installed on an SSD? CAD, Photoshop, office?

One more thing if I buy a smaller SSD now, will I be able to buy another larger one later and run both in my system or can only one be installed with my setup.

PS. Inzone, I apologize for dismissing your suggestion for an SSD earlier.
m
0
l
September 11, 2011 3:15:35 AM

The SSD you recommended is out of stock, if I don't purchase before it comes back in i may get it. This one has great reviews and is recommended as one of the best SSDs out there, may get it instead

Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also I'm planing on getting this monitor, what do you think?

Asus VH238H Black 23" Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor w/Speakers 250 cd/m2 ASCR 50,000,000:1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
September 11, 2011 3:58:36 AM

naf5058 said:
The SSD you recommended is out of stock, if I don't purchase before it comes back in i may get it. This one has great reviews and is recommended as one of the best SSDs out there, may get it instead

Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also I'm planing on getting this monitor, what do you think?

Asus VH238H Black 23" Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor w/Speakers 250 cd/m2 ASCR 50,000,000:1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Both are good choices imo. Also Crucial has a recent firmware update you want to check out. It's suppose to increase the speed by 20%.
m
0
l
September 11, 2011 4:06:05 AM

naf5058 said:
I made a few changes that brought the total down around 50 bucks. 750w pc Power and cooling psu and the asrock extreme3 gen3 you recommended. I think the PSU will provide plenty of power for me, as my upgrade plan will most likely be a single next gen card instead of crossfire/sli. Now with rebates the price will be right around 900$. Im leaning toward spending the extra cash on an SSD. Does anyone have recommendations as to which I should get? Installing the OS on it will be 20-30gig so how much do i need for applications/games? Based on articles i figure most games wont benefit other than loading times, which doesn't bother me to much. The only game I plan on buying that would use an SSD for would be Elder Scrolls Skyrim(not positive how much space this would use up but say 20Gb or so. What other applications would benefit the most from being installed on an SSD? CAD, Photoshop, office?

One more thing if I buy a smaller SSD now, will I be able to buy another larger one later and run both in my system or can only one be installed with my setup.

PS. Inzone, I apologize for dismissing your suggestion for an SSD earlier.

+1 for that psu and the asrock motherboard. the crucial m4 is a very good choice. or to save some money you can go with this- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
September 11, 2011 4:54:56 AM

Alright here's my build. Gonna purchase tomorrow
THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS!!

CPU
219.99
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6819115072

CPU Cooler
changed to this one instead of the 212. Supposed to be a little better and for the same price
40.24-10MIR=30.24
ZALMAN CNPS10X Performa 120mm Long life CPU Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


GPU
264.99-20.00MIR=244.99
SAPPHIRE 100312-3SR Radeon HD 6950 Dirt3 Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Comb [...] mbo.731435

Motherboard
124.99
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM
52.99
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820233186

PSU
109.99-20.00MIR=89.99
PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W High Performance 80PLUS Silver SLI CrossFire ready Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HDD
59.99
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6822152185

CASE
79.99
LIAN LI K60B Black CECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811112247

SSD
Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820148441

MONITOR
Getting this one instead, Looks better, great reviews and a little cheaper
176.99-15.00MIR=161.99
ASUS ML238H 23-Inch Wide Ultra-Slim LED Monitor (Black/White)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XU73KY/ref=ox_sc_a...
m
0
l
September 12, 2011 10:27:53 PM

Best answer selected by naf5058.
m
0
l
!