Closed

Compact Flash corrupt- how to format?

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 31, 2005 4:41:52 AM

I've had a problem with my USB compact flash reader connected to my PC
(Flash-Link by New Media Technology, I think no longer in business). It
appears to have corrupted two of my Compact Flash cards. First one is
just an old 64mb. Computer can read and write to it, but cameras (Nikon
990 and D70) don't recognize the card at all (give message "no card
present"). I wasn't too concerned about losing that card, but now my
brand new 1Gb high speed Lexar card is corrupt. The camera, D70, seems
to recogize the card is there, but says it needs formating. Camera will
try to format, but formating does not complete and I can't use the card.

Anyone know of a fix? I am expecting to buy a new USB reader to connect
to the computer and am hoping that there is someway I can format the
corrupt cards from the PC (running Windows XP) and get the cameras to
recognize them enough to reformat them with the camera. I'm at the
extent of my knowledge here. Any helpful advice will be appreciated.
March 31, 2005 4:41:53 AM

Formatting a CF card in my Canon S500 automatically erases all the data that
was on the card. You might want to find out if formatting a card in your
camera or on a PC will erase the images, before trying it.

Morton

Digital Images wrote:

> I've had a problem with my USB compact flash reader connected to my PC
> (Flash-Link by New Media Technology, I think no longer in business). It
> appears to have corrupted two of my Compact Flash cards. First one is
> just an old 64mb. Computer can read and write to it, but cameras (Nikon
> 990 and D70) don't recognize the card at all (give message "no card
> present"). I wasn't too concerned about losing that card, but now my
> brand new 1Gb high speed Lexar card is corrupt. The camera, D70, seems
> to recogize the card is there, but says it needs formating. Camera will
> try to format, but formating does not complete and I can't use the card.
>
> Anyone know of a fix? I am expecting to buy a new USB reader to connect
> to the computer and am hoping that there is someway I can format the
> corrupt cards from the PC (running Windows XP) and get the cameras to
> recognize them enough to reformat them with the camera. I'm at the
> extent of my knowledge here. Any helpful advice will be appreciated.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 4:41:54 AM

On 2005/3/30 8:45 PM, "mort" <mort@cloud9.net> wrote:

> Formatting a CF card in my Canon S500 automatically erases all the data that
> was on the card. You might want to find out if formatting a card in your
> camera or on a PC will erase the images, before trying it.

Formatting always erases the contents. There are disk repair programs that
might be able to recover some of the data, but that should be tried before a
format.

I would suggest getting another card reader. USB memory card readers are
cheap. But if neither the card reader nor the camera can successfully format
the cards, there may be problems beyond what reformatting can fix.
March 31, 2005 5:11:09 AM

Can u do a fdisk in dos or linux and then try to format it as FAT32?

Digital Images wrote:

> I've had a problem with my USB compact flash reader connected to my PC
> (Flash-Link by New Media Technology, I think no longer in business). It
> appears to have corrupted two of my Compact Flash cards. First one is
> just an old 64mb. Computer can read and write to it, but cameras (Nikon
> 990 and D70) don't recognize the card at all (give message "no card
> present"). I wasn't too concerned about losing that card, but now my
> brand new 1Gb high speed Lexar card is corrupt. The camera, D70, seems
> to recogize the card is there, but says it needs formating. Camera will
> try to format, but formating does not complete and I can't use the card.
>
> Anyone know of a fix? I am expecting to buy a new USB reader to connect
> to the computer and am hoping that there is someway I can format the
> corrupt cards from the PC (running Windows XP) and get the cameras to
> recognize them enough to reformat them with the camera. I'm at the
> extent of my knowledge here. Any helpful advice will be appreciated.
March 31, 2005 6:23:33 AM

Digital Images wrote:
> I've had a problem with my USB compact flash reader connected to my PC
> (Flash-Link by New Media Technology, I think no longer in business).
> It appears to have corrupted two of my Compact Flash cards. First
> one is just an old 64mb. Computer can read and write to it, but
> cameras (Nikon 990 and D70) don't recognize the card at all (give
> message "no card present"). I wasn't too concerned about losing that
> card, but now my brand new 1Gb high speed Lexar card is corrupt. The
> camera, D70, seems to recogize the card is there, but says it needs
> formating. Camera will try to format, but formating does not
> complete and I can't use the card.
>
> Anyone know of a fix? I am expecting to buy a new USB reader to
> connect to the computer and am hoping that there is someway I can
> format the corrupt cards from the PC (running Windows XP) and get the
> cameras to recognize them enough to reformat them with the camera.
> I'm at the extent of my knowledge here. Any helpful advice will be
> appreciated.

Try Format on the card reader (Via XP obviously) and don't make the number 1
classic all-time mistake of formatting as FAT32, use FAT16 (which might not
be the default selection!).
March 31, 2005 6:27:25 AM

Digital Images wrote:
> I've had a problem with my USB compact flash reader connected to my PC
> (Flash-Link by New Media Technology, I think no longer in business).
> It appears to have corrupted two of my Compact Flash cards. First
> one is just an old 64mb. Computer can read and write to it, but
> cameras (Nikon 990 and D70) don't recognize the card at all (give
> message "no card present"). I wasn't too concerned about losing that
> card, but now my brand new 1Gb high speed Lexar card is corrupt. The
> camera, D70, seems to recogize the card is there, but says it needs
> formating. Camera will try to format, but formating does not
> complete and I can't use the card.
>
> Anyone know of a fix? I am expecting to buy a new USB reader to
> connect to the computer and am hoping that there is someway I can
> format the corrupt cards from the PC (running Windows XP) and get the
> cameras to recognize them enough to reformat them with the camera.
> I'm at the extent of my knowledge here. Any helpful advice will be
> appreciated.

Try a Format on the card reader and don't make the number 1
classic all-time mistake of formatting as FAT32, use FAT16 (which might not
be the default selection!).
March 31, 2005 6:30:02 AM

Digital Images wrote:
> I've had a problem with my USB compact flash reader connected to my PC
> (Flash-Link by New Media Technology, I think no longer in business).
> It appears to have corrupted two of my Compact Flash cards. First
> one is just an old 64mb. Computer can read and write to it, but
> cameras (Nikon 990 and D70) don't recognize the card at all (give
> message "no card present"). I wasn't too concerned about losing that
> card, but now my brand new 1Gb high speed Lexar card is corrupt. The
> camera, D70, seems to recogize the card is there, but says it needs
> formating. Camera will try to format, but formating does not
> complete and I can't use the card.
>
> Anyone know of a fix? I am expecting to buy a new USB reader to
> connect to the computer and am hoping that there is someway I can
> format the corrupt cards from the PC (running Windows XP) and get the
> cameras to recognize them enough to reformat them with the camera.
> I'm at the extent of my knowledge here. Any helpful advice will be
> appreciated.

Try to re-format your card in the card reader (Via XP obviously) and don't
make the number 1
classic all-time mistake of formatting as FAT32, use FAT16 (which might not
be the default selection!).
March 31, 2005 6:35:59 AM

Digital Images wrote:
> I've had a problem with my USB compact flash reader connected to my PC
> (Flash-Link by New Media Technology, I think no longer in business).
> It appears to have corrupted two of my Compact Flash cards. First
> one is just an old 64mb. Computer can read and write to it, but
> cameras (Nikon 990 and D70) don't recognize the card at all (give
> message "no card present"). I wasn't too concerned about losing that
> card, but now my brand new 1Gb high speed Lexar card is corrupt. The
> camera, D70, seems to recogize the card is there, but says it needs
> formating. Camera will try to format, but formating does not
> complete and I can't use the card.
>
> Anyone know of a fix? I am expecting to buy a new USB reader to
> connect to the computer and am hoping that there is someway I can
> format the corrupt cards from the PC (running Windows XP) and get the
> cameras to recognize them enough to reformat them with the camera.
> I'm at the extent of my knowledge here. Any helpful advice will be
> appreciated.
Try to re-format your card in the card reader (Via XP obviously) and don't
make the number 1
classic all-time mistake of formatting as FAT32, use FAT16 (which might not
be the default selection!).
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 7:39:58 AM

Thanks all for the suggestions. I copied all the images off the card
before it had the problem so don't care about losing anything in a
reformat. Since I think my USB reader is funky and caused the problem,
I'll get a new one (brand name this time) and give the fdisk and format
FAT16 suggestions a try.

Bob Haar wrote:
> On 2005/3/30 8:45 PM, "mort" <mort@cloud9.net> wrote:
>

>>Formatting a CF card in my Canon S500 automatically erases all the data that
>>was on the card. You might want to find out if formatting a card in your
>>camera or on a PC will erase the images, before trying it.
>

> Formatting always erases the contents. There are disk repair programs that
> might be able to recover some of the data, but that should be tried before a
> format.
>
> I would suggest getting another card reader. USB memory card readers are
> cheap. But if neither the card reader nor the camera can successfully format
> the cards, there may be problems beyond what reformatting can fix.

Anonymous
March 31, 2005 7:59:51 AM

Digital Images wrote:
> Thanks all for the suggestions. I copied all the images off the card
> before it had the problem so don't care about losing anything in a
> reformat. Since I think my USB reader is funky and caused the problem,
> I'll get a new one (brand name this time) and give the fdisk and format
> FAT16 suggestions a try.
>
> Bob Haar wrote:
>
>> On 2005/3/30 8:45 PM, "mort" <mort@cloud9.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Formatting a CF card in my Canon S500 automatically erases all the
>>> data that
>>> was on the card. You might want to find out if formatting a card in your
>>> camera or on a PC will erase the images, before trying it.
>>

>> Formatting always erases the contents. There are disk repair programs
>> that
>> might be able to recover some of the data, but that should be tried
>> before a
>> format.
>>
>> I would suggest getting another card reader. USB memory card readers are
>> cheap. But if neither the card reader nor the camera can successfully
>> format
>> the cards, there may be problems beyond what reformatting can fix.

If that doesn't work, Lexar will replace the card. Give them a call.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
March 31, 2005 10:25:12 AM

Digital Images wrote:
> Thanks all for the suggestions. I copied all the images off the card
> before it had the problem so don't care about losing anything in a
> reformat. Since I think my USB reader is funky and caused the
> problem, I'll get a new one (brand name this time) and give the fdisk
> and format FAT16 suggestions a try.

I still think it's been formatted in FAT32, which cameras don't read! Trust
me.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 10:25:13 AM

Ian wrote:
> Digital Images wrote:
>
>>Thanks all for the suggestions. I copied all the images off the card
>>before it had the problem so don't care about losing anything in a
>>reformat. Since I think my USB reader is funky and caused the
>>problem, I'll get a new one (brand name this time) and give the fdisk
>>and format FAT16 suggestions a try.
>>

> I still think it's been formatted in FAT32, which cameras don't read! Trust
> me.

SOME cameras don't recogonize FAT32, others (newer ones) DO.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 11:41:49 AM

"Ian" <ian@iano.net> wrote:

> Try Format on the card reader (Via XP obviously) and don't make the
> number 1 classic all-time mistake of formatting as FAT32, use FAT16
> (which might not be the default selection!).

The D70 works perfectly well with FAT32 formatted cards.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 11:43:49 AM

"Ian" <ian@iano.net> wrote:

> Digital Images wrote:
>> Thanks all for the suggestions. I copied all the images off the card
>> before it had the problem so don't care about losing anything in a
>> reformat. Since I think my USB reader is funky and caused the
>> problem, I'll get a new one (brand name this time) and give the fdisk
>> and format FAT16 suggestions a try.
>>
> I still think it's been formatted in FAT32, which cameras don't read!
> Trust me.

Wrong.
March 31, 2005 9:13:14 PM

Bubbabob wrote:
> "Ian" <ian@iano.net> wrote:
>

>> Digital Images wrote:
>>> Thanks all for the suggestions. I copied all the images off the
>>> card before it had the problem so don't care about losing anything
>>> in a reformat. Since I think my USB reader is funky and caused the
>>> problem, I'll get a new one (brand name this time) and give the
>>> fdisk and format FAT16 suggestions a try.
>>>
>> I still think it's been formatted in FAT32, which cameras don't read!
>> Trust me.
>>

> Wrong.

We'll see! :)
March 31, 2005 9:13:34 PM

(newer ones) DO.

Granted - but do his? I don't fink so. ;)
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 9:50:23 PM

"Ian" <ian@iano.net> wrote:

>> Wrong.
>
> We'll see! :)

Read the manual.
April 1, 2005 8:02:49 AM

Bubbabob wrote:
> "Ian" <ian@iano.net> wrote:
>

>> Try Format on the card reader (Via XP obviously) and don't make the
>> number 1 classic all-time mistake of formatting as FAT32, use FAT16
>> (which might not be the default selection!).
>>

> The D70 works perfectly well with FAT32 formatted cards.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm maybe.......... even I make the odd mistake.........
;)
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 8:02:50 AM

"Ian" <ian@iano.net> wrote in message

> Bubbabob wrote:
>> "Ian" <ian@iano.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Try Format on the card reader (Via XP obviously) and don't make the
>>> number 1 classic all-time mistake of formatting as FAT32, use FAT16
>>> (which might not be the default selection!).
>>>

>> The D70 works perfectly well with FAT32 formatted cards.
>
> mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm maybe.......... even I make the odd
> mistake.........
> ;)

A Nikon D70 will absolutely support FAT32. I use my FAT32 formatted 4GB
Microdrive in mine all the time.

Tom
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 8:02:50 AM

Ian wrote:
> Bubbabob wrote:
>
>>"Ian" <ian@iano.net> wrote:
>>

>>>Try Format on the card reader (Via XP obviously) and don't make the
>>>number 1 classic all-time mistake of formatting as FAT32, use FAT16
>>>(which might not be the default selection!).
>>>

>>The D70 works perfectly well with FAT32 formatted cards.
>

> mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm maybe.......... even I make the odd mistake.........
> ;)

Easy to do in these days of rapid technological progress. If you blink,
you get behind.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
April 1, 2005 8:04:01 AM

Bubbabob wrote:
> "Ian" <ian@iano.net> wrote:
>
>>> Wrong.
>>
>> We'll see! :)
>>

> Read the manual.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmaybe I'm wrong............... ;( (Just this time
tho)
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 7:22:12 PM

Well guys I got the big card reformatted and it works fine again. As
for the FAT16-FAT32 discussion....

.....yes the D70 reads FAT32. Fact is that any device that supports
cards over 2gb has to support FAT32 because FAT16 won't format beyond 2
gb (remember when they formated large pc disks into multiple 2 gb
partitions?, same reason).

I bought a new USB card reader, formated the card using the PC, put it
in the camera, worked fine, but reformatted it in the camera anyway just
to be safe.

The smaller card is still a mystery. Card reader will read and write
and reformat it, but neither camera recognizes it. Still don't know
what the deal is with it. Will probably just use it to transfer
snapshots to the drugstore for printing.

Thanks again for helping me out with this issue.

Ron Hunter wrote:
> Ian wrote:
>
>> Bubbabob wrote:

>>> The D70 works perfectly well with FAT32 formatted cards.
>>

>> mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm maybe.......... even I make the odd
>> mistake.........
>> ;)
>>

> Easy to do in these days of rapid technological progress. If you blink,
> you get behind.

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 11:55:22 PM

> Ian wrote:
>> Digital Images wrote:
>>
>>>Thanks all for the suggestions. I copied all the images off the card
>>>before it had the problem so don't care about losing anything in a
>>>reformat. Since I think my USB reader is funky and caused the
>>>problem, I'll get a new one (brand name this time) and give the fdisk
>>>and format FAT16 suggestions a try.
>>>

>> I still think it's been formatted in FAT32, which cameras don't read!
>> Trust me.
>>

> SOME cameras don't recogonize FAT32, others (newer ones) DO.

But ALL D70's do and I believe that's what the OP said he had.
Anonymous
February 11, 2011 7:37:46 AM

This topic has been closed by Fihart
!