lordtrini

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Hello guys i am new here. I have a question. I have a Dell Vostro 220 (i know it sucks). I put a ASUS GTX460 with 1 GB GDDR5 in it. I now have the hard drive hanging off the the side and a 2 power supplies feeding the one box (one (600W) for the graphics card).

The question i have is this. I want to build a new system around this card (2 of them actually) Can you you most knowledgeable guys please suggest a system that can house these cards. I am looking for something brand name (possibly) HP or Dell that i can the 2 cards in. I want to drive a 2 monitor setup.

Also i would like something that starts with can be upgraded pass 12 gigs of ram.

Please assist
thanks

The 400 series is kind of old now, but you may be able to find prebuilds that have the option for one. The difficulty you will likely encounter is that the budget prebuilds and performance prebuilds don't usually have an option for dual GPU. However, since Dell sells Alienware builds, you'll find the dual GPUs are standard in the Aurora line. The only catch is that they come with AMD Radeon cards already installed.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-aurora-r3/pd.aspx

If you really have to buy a prebuild, then I recommend either calling or using the online chat functions with a sales rep to help you customize your system.

On the other hand, if you want some assistance in selecting parts for a D-I-Y job, I recommend you take a look at this thread:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice

lordtrini

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011

thats exactly what i want to do. That card is my i am looking at a new build. i am looking for a decent starting point that can handle 2 of the 460's

Thanks

lordtrini

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011

Thanks... for the advice... I was trying to get a more sedate case as i am over 30... lol...

thanks

I completely agree. The 460 isn't far from the 560; the 560 Ti, on the other hand... But no disrespect taken. The point I was trying to make to the OP was that getting a prebuild with the one 460 may be difficult. Even more difficult is finding an affordable prebuild with expansion room for a second GPU.

I think the OP would have an easier time (and save money) by building a system around the 460.