kman7607

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
How does the build look?

I will be using it for multitasking, programming (FORTRAN and Matlab), watching movies, surfing the web, and eventually some light gaming. I plan to install multiple HD's and work in an SSD too, this is why I chose such a large PSU. I will at first be using the HD 3000 integrated graphics but if I realize I need a more robust graphics solution, I will purchase a dedicated card.

I am pretty uncertain as to what RAM to purchase. What timings will work well with my setup? I will eventually over clock and possibly buy a dedicated graphics card, but I am not sure how this will impact the RAM.

The PSU can absolutely change, maybe it is too large? I was planning on an SLI configuration but will probably never get around to it but I will eventually be purchasing a decent single card that can play modern games. I would like to get a cheaper but modular PSU and would like to hear recommendations. I will be happy as long an the PSU can handle a few HDs (3 to 6), an SSD, and the eventual addition of a decent graphics card.

Can someone also address the best way to implement an SSD? Should I boot to the SSD or use it as cache or is it possible to do both (given the drive is large enough)?

The case has been purchased and is the only definite decided upon component in this list.

The total cost of everything listed is on the order of $620. Depending on specials and bundles I have found this number to vary by ~$30.

Case: Antec 300 Illusion
Proc: Intel i5 2500 K
GPU: None. I plan to use the Intel HD 3000 graphics at first and drop in a card later.
RAM: ????? 4 to 8gb (I am not very knowledgeable about RAM timings/specifics)
HD: Samsung spinpoint F3 1TB
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W Link
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155 Link

Thank you for your suggestions!

Solution
Let’s get this started by answering your SSD question. If you are going to select an SSD with a size smaller then 64GB, then plan to use the Intel® SRT (Smart Response Technology) for SSD caching. For a larger drive then use it as a boot drive and get the best performance that way.

Memory is also important because most people don’t know an important fact about the 2nd generation Intel Core™ processors. With these processors like the Intel Core i5-2500K you want to make sure that they memory that you select is rated at 1.5v ± 5%. If you use memory that is rated at 1.65v you can damage your processor and void the warranty on it.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
Let’s get this started by answering your SSD question. If you are going to select an SSD with a size smaller then 64GB, then plan to use the Intel® SRT (Smart Response Technology) for SSD caching. For a larger drive then use it as a boot drive and get the best performance that way.

Memory is also important because most people don’t know an important fact about the 2nd generation Intel Core™ processors. With these processors like the Intel Core i5-2500K you want to make sure that they memory that you select is rated at 1.5v ± 5%. If you use memory that is rated at 1.65v you can damage your processor and void the warranty on it.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Solution

kman7607

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
After looking briefly at the cost of 120GB SSD's I think I will be purchasing a 30GB SSD for around $60. According to the Newegg video on SRT, the performance increase is very noticeable. I dont see myself dropping $200 on a 120 GB SSD to boot to.

Any suggestions for the PSU? Should I size down? I have always operated under the assumption that it is good to over estimate the size of the PSU. I understand that PSU's do not often break or go bad and can be used in future builds. Since I do plan to upgrade this current build, eventually, I would like a decent sized PSU just so I have enough power.

Lepa is made by Enermax, lower end by Sirtec. Both of which are very will known companies. Enermax being one of the very best companies that make their OWN power supplies unlike Antec, Corsair, and XFX. (Just to name a few who buy from Seasonic and rename them)

Here is 2 reviews of the Lepa 850 giving it a solid score.
http://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/lepa-b850w-power-supply-review/all/1/
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/06/20/lepa_b_series_850w_power_supply_review/9

kman7607

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008

Thank you, I appreciate the review citations.

The 850 is a a lot but you never know. Plus he does have it in to SLI down the road. Also, if you're referring to the Newegg reviews, you can't base that off just 6 reviews. For all you know when people bought the Corsair that's how it started out.

But just to correct the statistic. One person purchased 6, and all ran fine. So it is 2 of 12. Even if we account for this statistic.

I do admit though, Corsair has shown their PSUs are good. But they are just overpriced. Too overpriced in fact. But I have someone who I helped awhile back that bought the Lepa and it has worked fine. Showed me some pictures of the PSU in there running fine. So... Not at all bad.

kman7607

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
I have not looked closely at PSU price trends, but is there a discontinuity in pricing vs. Wattage? When I was in the market for monitors I recall a discontinuity existing between 22" and 24" monitors. Is there a large price jump for PSU's between certain wattages or is it mostly brand dependent? Lepa sounds like a fine brand, but would it be considered a top tier PSU brand?  A PSU is something that I plan to keep around from build to build (I dont ever see myself requiring a larger PSU than 850W because I am not a hard core gamer) so I do not mind spending a little extra money on a great, well-known brand with a good warranty.

Regarding RAM. What timings should I be looking at? According to IntelEnthusiast I want 1.5v RAM but that does not really answer any questions about timings.

Here is my revised build minus a decided upon PSU and RAM solution. I included the prices that I have budgeted in parentheses. Since I am undecided on these two components I glanced through newegg and took a guess at how much a decent 8gb set of RAM would cost and a 850W PSU.

Case: Antec 300 Illusion
Proc: Intel i5 2500 K
GPU: NONE. I plan to use the Intel HD 3000 graphics at first and drop in a card later.
RAM: ????? ($50)
HD: Samsung spinpoint F3 1TB
SSD: OCZ Vertex Series 30 GB Link
PSU: ????? ($120)
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155 Link

This puts the total build around $680 without an OS.

Well the PSU, the Lepa is good enough to be considered a top tear brand. Especially the more expensive Lepa PSUs. Lepa is new so it's not exactly well known but the PSUs that have been reviewed show all the traits of a top-tier brand. Many say that Lepa is Enermax's house brand because most of the Lepa PSUs that are made by Enermax are cheaper than Enermax themselves. So I would have to say yes, Lepa is a top tier brand with competitive pricing.

I'd still get the LEPA over the Corsair that was recommended. The main reason, the LEPA is only $10 more but you get Modular design which would help with the cable management. As for a cheaper rec.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341041
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371049
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341049
All those are pretty solid.

OCZ 750w Fatality
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/OCZ-Fatal1ty-750-W-Power-Supply-Review/1019
OCZ 650w ZS (Granted not the 750w version. Looks pretty good)
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/OCZ-ZS-Series-650-W-Power-Supply-Review/1361/10

Also did a little digging, the "4 12v rails" thing. It's not even a bad thing.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3990
According to Jonnyguru, the current standard of the 4 12v rails is perfectly fine and used in many enthusiast PSUs. So there would be no problem.