Hyper 212+ is hotter than stock cooler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thunderic

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
I have a Phenom II x4 970 and my system was getting too hot with my Hyper 212+, so I reinstalled the stock HSF and the temperatures were cooler. I assumed it was a problem with the mounting, but I put it back on carefully and it still seems to be getting hot. Also, I'm using Arctic Silver 5 on both.

Temps (monitored with CoreTemp and AMD Overdrive):

Stock Cooler
Idle: 31-33
Under load(prime95): ~59C

Aftermarket HSF
Idle: 33-36
Under load(prime95): climbs passed 70C and I get BSOD if I don't close it

There has got to be something wrong with how I mounted it but I can't find what I did wrong. The dinky little stock cooler shouldn't be getting temps close to the aftermarket cooler. Is it possible that the cooler just doesn't work right? Am I just terrible at putting it on? If anyone has a video tutorial that actually shows the putting on of the heat sink I would be thankful (all the videos I see just cut to it fully installed).

Solution
Saint19 wrote up a guide on how to install the Hyper 212+ which might help you
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/258023-29-installing-cooler-master-hyper

How are you applying your thermal paste? The direct touch heatpipes mean that a single drop in the middle might not work as well as other techniques as there are channels between the heatpipes. Also, just to confirm, you do have the fan rigged up in a push configuration correct?

Your temps are definitely too high with that cooler, on my 955 i was at 62 C with the stock cooler and dropped down to around 48 C under load with the Hyper 212+ so you should be able to get your temps a lot lower.
Saint19 wrote up a guide on how to install the Hyper 212+ which might help you
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/258023-29-installing-cooler-master-hyper

How are you applying your thermal paste? The direct touch heatpipes mean that a single drop in the middle might not work as well as other techniques as there are channels between the heatpipes. Also, just to confirm, you do have the fan rigged up in a push configuration correct?

Your temps are definitely too high with that cooler, on my 955 i was at 62 C with the stock cooler and dropped down to around 48 C under load with the Hyper 212+ so you should be able to get your temps a lot lower.

Solution

icehawk940

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
The hyper 212 should cool much better than the stock cooler. I found a video for you so you can compare your installation. http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?category_id=1623&product_id=2731 the video of the installation is the 2nd video listed under the video section.

thunderic

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011

Thanks for the link :)

I'm using a small dot in the middle as that is what Arctic Silver's website recommends for my CPU. Also I forgot to mention that I have 2 fans in push/pull! Which just makes it even more strange that it is so hot

I sure hope so, I just want my system to stay at a decent temp. This thing has really been frustrating me.

thunderic

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
I remounted the cooler again with the same thermal compound, making sure to follow the instructions as closely as I could. I restarted my system and tried to run prime95 and it was over 65 within 2 minutes, so I stopped it because it was still climbing. I have adequate airflow, I think. Perhaps there is something wrong with the cooler itself- maybe the bottom needs to be sanded? Even when the system is getting very hot, the air I feel pushed out isn't that warm. What does this mean? Bad thermal transfer? I definitely feel a lot of air being pushed. I don't know what else to try. :??:

When you take the cooler off how does the thermal compound spread on the bottom of it look? Does it look like it spread out fairly completely? If not i would definitely try the double line method similar to what you see here
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=170&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=5

I would advise against sanding it as you don't want to risk cracking one of the heatpipes or going too deep, if you let air into the heatpipe it stops working and lapping the heatsink won't significantly improve your temps over what a good application should give you.

thunderic

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011

Yes it is spread out around most of the heatspreader. I took it off AGAIN and reapplied it in the double line method, just to see if it would do anything, but I am still getting very high temperatures. I'm just going to go back to my stock fan. I am going to run out of thermal paste soon. Something must be wrong with the mounting hardware or something. Thank you for your help, but I don't think there is anything else I can do at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS