allgoodpeople

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'll soon be moving to Germany for the next 2 years (Darmstadt) from the USA. Just out of curiousity, what is the state of the internet connections over there? Do they have any sort of broadband connections available (cable or DSL), or is it only dialup? And if it is dialup, is it per minute, or flate rate like here in the US?

allgoodpeople

"It's a dog eat dog world, and I'm wearing milkbone underwear."

Fredi

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi!

To make a long story short, you should be able to get DSL (usally 768/128) Flat Free. However, order it as early as you can as setup takes some time (can be 3 month).
There are also Flat rates available for Modem or ISDN connections. The whole market is shifting and changing a lot right now.
Actually you might want to get help from someone who is living in the area already and also knows about local offers (maybe something like Cable, etc).

Fredi
Tom's Hardware Guide

allgoodpeople

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Do you have some idea what the prices are? In america broadband tends to run $40-$50 monthly, dialup $10-$20 monthly.

From my reading everything in Europe is more expensive than in the states because of the higher taxes. is this true?

allgoodpeople

Fredi

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Heho!

Prices start like $15 for a "fake" flat free, where only the first 1GB of transfer is free.

The real DSL flatrate is about $30 including the $5 for the DSL line. You have to add the price for the phone line: either analog (about $12-15) or ISDN (about $25-$30). There usually is a initial setup fee about $50 - $100.

In Hamburg where I live there are also other offers available, but it comes usually down to prices between $50 - $80 per month, including phone service and DSL and including a real flat free internet.

VAT in Germany is 16%. Important to know is, that every price you see in advertisings or shops is ALWAYS including the VAT. So are my above examples. Consumer/private clients always see final/total prices. But in general you are rigth, everything is a bit more expensive in Europe, especially common goods, groceries and clothes. However, the us$ is doing very well at the moment and so things are cheaper for you than they used to be in the last few years.

You'll be shocked about gas prices in Europe... :)

Fredi
Tom's Hardware Guide

allgoodpeople

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
*lol* yeah, i've heard about the gas prices. luckily for me, being in the army, we get vouchers that allow us to buy at US prices. insurance is pretty steep from what i've heard too.

thanks for the good info! I'm getting close to buying a new DDR system after i get over to Darmstadt, but i was worried that i'd have this high speed computer and be stuck with a dialup modem. Those prices you quoted are pretty good. Very comperable, if not cheaper, than you can get similar connections in the states. Just to be sure, are those in US dollars or Marks?

Thanks again!

allgoodpeople

allgoodpeople

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>Does that mean he will ride his bike alot ;)

actually, yes it does. i sold my car rather than ship it over because, as much as i loved my old cavalier, it had 170+k miles on it. i really didn't cherish the thought of trying to figure out what a german mechanic was trying to tell me was wrong with it next time it broke down (and beleive me, it would).

i just wish old computers were as functional as my old 1990 cavalier was =)

allgoodpeople

Fredi

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hey hey,
after all you are coming to the mother country of all cars :)
There are for sure mechanics that could deal with that kind of car properly, for a good price tag of course :)
Fun aside, lets get serious: Get a Porsche and do some trips on the next Autobahn :)

Fredi
Tom's Hardware Guide

allgoodpeople

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>Fun aside, lets get serious: Get a Porsche and do some trips on the next Autobahn :)

oh, i wish i could!! i doubt i could afford one though. maybe in another life ;)

allgoodpeople