Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How much Power does a server take?

Last response: in Networking
October 24, 2010 6:09:03 PM

I know no one can be sure will the limited information I have on the server, but I was looking at a school surplus and saw some servers I was interested in. The were dell powershots and some had p4 processors other has Pentium D, and 1 had a xeon processor.
They were the rack mount kind and only 1 slot tall not the double slot.

Anyone have a guess of how much power (watts) it will take to run on idle?

More about : power server

Best solution

October 24, 2010 6:46:31 PM

Catsrules said:
I know no one can be sure will the limited information I have on the server, but I was looking at a school surplus and saw some servers I was interested in. The were dell powershots and some had p4 processors other has Pentium D, and 1 had a xeon processor.
They were the rack mount kind and only 1 slot tall not the double slot.

Anyone have a guess of how much power (watts) it will take to run on idle?

I wouldn't hazard a guess and can't reach to pull one out of my server at the moment but I can tell you there's almost certainly more than one so the system carries on running if one breaks down. Also, it will be a special - bot the usual 450Watt box you pick up for £25 in Maplin so if the server you buy doesn't have one, it could cost you more than the unit itself to buy the right one.

By the way - go for the Xeon.
October 25, 2010 1:32:30 AM

Yeah I bought one a few weeks ago, but it was a dual slot one with a raid array mainly for storage. It has dual 700Watt power supplies. and it has two Xeon possessors in it as well. It takes around 250-300watt idle. I was hoping a smaller one would take less power, like under 100 would be ideal. I just needed it to run untangled and support a around 10 computers so it doesn't really need to be that powerful. I would like another "real" server but if it takes to much power I will just use a old p4 computer I have been using. it runs around 80-100
m
l
Related resources
October 25, 2010 6:43:54 AM

Catsrules said:
Yeah I bought one a few weeks ago, but it was a dual slot one with a raid array mainly for storage. It has dual 700Watt power supplies. and it has two Xeon possessors in it as well. It takes around 250-300watt idle. I was hoping a smaller one would take less power, like under 100 would be ideal. I just needed it to run untangled and support a around 10 computers so it doesn't really need to be that powerful. I would like another "real" server but if it takes to much power I will just use a old p4 computer I have been using. it runs around 80-100

[#0005ff]Noise and cold air are the big downsides so if a PC can cope, take that route. I've had to duct the extracted air out through a hole in the wall or my heating bill would be huge. I can forgive it a lot for those dual Xeons and the fact that the whole thing only cost me £50 though. :D [/#000ff]
m
l
October 25, 2010 3:42:42 PM

yeah I hear that, what I turn my server on it sounds like a vacuum machine. My server is in my basement and it stays cold down there year around, So for once heat hasn't been a problem.
m
l
October 25, 2010 8:08:15 PM

Either way you're going to spend money on power when dealing with servers. Finding something under 100 watts will not happen. You're going to get stuck with what you've already seen.
m
l
October 30, 2010 6:32:58 AM

Well thanks for your help, I going to go back to my old computer I have been using for the moment. Still my buy that Xeon server for fun.
I guess I will just haft to live with a high power bill.
m
l
October 30, 2010 6:33:20 AM

Best answer selected by Catsrules.
m
l
!