Custom toolbar problem

July 15, 2004 1:33:14 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I have a custom toolbar that keeps disapearring every time I reboot. I have
scanned with Ad-Aware, Spybot, Norton, and CWshredder. Any suggestions?

More about : custom toolbar problem

July 15, 2004 5:57:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Which one is it? In the meantime, place it back and then run this edit:

Save Settings on Exit (Line 54)

To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it
and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by
right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Adin Petisca" <adin_petisca@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o gL3sugaEHA.3996@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>I have a custom toolbar that keeps disapearring every time I reboot. I have
> scanned with Ad-Aware, Spybot, Norton, and CWshredder. Any suggestions?

Anonymous
July 16, 2004 1:03:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I tried your fix and the repair tool, and nothing seems to work. Another
thing; I just noticed that my Internet Explorer opens three windows when I
run it.

Thanks for your help!

> Which one is it? In the meantime, place it back and then run this edit:
>
> Save Settings on Exit (Line 54)
>
> To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it
> and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by
> right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.
>
> Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

> All the Best,
> Kelly
>
> Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
> 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "Adin Petisca" <adin_petisca@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o gL3sugaEHA.3996@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> >I have a custom toolbar that keeps disapearring every time I reboot. I
have
> > scanned with Ad-Aware, Spybot, Norton, and CWshredder. Any suggestions?

Anonymous
July 17, 2004 4:47:36 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Adin,

[[When you use your browser to view Web sites, other instances of your
browser open to display Web site advertisements.]]

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;827315

If you have three instances of IE opening when you open it once, I'll bet
you a dollar to a donut you have some sort of scumware.

Update your Ad-aware and Spybot S&D and run 'em again.

Is your CWShredder version 1.59.0.1?

Is your Ad-aware version 6.0.1.181?
This is the latest Ad-aware Reference file: 01R332 12.07.2004.

Is your Spybot - Search & Destroy version 1.3.0.12?
Spybot - Search & Destroy Latest detection update: 2004-07-09.

First. Make sure of these settings and nothing will install without you
answering YES. (Except what may install as part of some other software.)
Don't click YES if you don't know/trust the source.

Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options | Advanced tab |
Make sure both of these are NOT checked.

Enable Install On Demand (Internet Explorer)
[[Specifies to automatically download and install Internet Explorer
components if a Web page needs them in order to display the page properly or
perform a particular task.]]

Enable Install On Demand (Other)
[[Specifies to automatically download and install Web components if a Web
page needs them in order to display the page properly or perform a
particular task.]]

Apply | OK

Enable Install On Demand (Other)
Is part of the driveby downloading of unwanted programs. i.e. scumware.
=================================

Second. If you need a scan right now.

Follow the instructions!
THE PARASITE FIGHT QUICK FIX PROTOCOL
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php

======================

Third.
It is known as scumware. Visit these sites. 1, 2, 3 and 4 are really good.
Download, install, run, update and run again; one or all. They are all
good, FREE utilities. Make sure you update every program, even if you
just downloaded it. You must have the latest updates.

1) CWShredder direct download:
http://216.180.233.163/~merijn/files/CWShredder.exe

2) SpywareBlaster
[[SpywareBlaster doesn't scan and clean for spyware - it prevents it from
ever being installed.
The most important step you can take is to secure your system. And
SpywareBlaster is the most powerful protection program available.]]

3) Spybot S & D
http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?lang=en&page=...

4) HijackThis (some other stuff that may be of interest also)

4a) HijackThis (direct download)
http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.zip

5) Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner v1.13
http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html?source=...

6) ToolbarCop
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/toolbarcop.htm

7) Ad-aware

===============

Problems uninstalling? Here's some advice.
http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/uninstallproblems....

Additional information & instructions.
A wealth of information here, boys and girls.

THE PARASITE FIGHT QUICK FIX PROTOCOL
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

THE PARASITE FIGHT
Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups

Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;827315#appliesto

Spyware and Deceptive Software
http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/twc/privacy/spyware.msp...