Newly Homebuilt Computer Wont Stop Freezing

Alphabet85

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008
I just built a computer today that wont stop freezing. I have Windows 7 64-bit installed and all the drivers. But underload, even if its just installing something and I press the start button, the computer freezes. After I installed some updates, I had to restart the computer and then it wouldnt stop saying "shutting down". Eventually the blue screen of death came up and then it restarted. What is going on? I cant figure out what is wrong.

Specs:
Windows 7 64-bit
ASUS P7P55D-E LX LGA 1156
Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 X 2gb) model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
EVGA GeForce GTX 570 Fermi
Western Digital 320 GB 7200 RPM WD32000AAKX
Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W ATX12v

Please help.

Alphabet85

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008
Yeah I'm looking to get a better heat sink for the CPU, nothing should be overclocked. I have everything at factory defaults. I really dont know how to overclock. lol What kind of PSU should I get. I was thinking something 850W. What is BSOD Code?

Edit: I just found out what BSOD means lol. I dont know what the code is. It came up too quickly and restarted for me to see what it said.

Alphabet85

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008
I've tried using one slot at a time. It seems all slots are unstable and both ram chips. I've noticed that each time I do something like more than one task, ie. I'm downloading drivers then presst the start button or do alt-ctrl-del to get the task manager, or anything other than what the computer is currently do, the computer freezes. Sometimes i click things and there will be a LONG delay. sometimes it seems I get no response. :-/

Alphabet85

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008
UPDATE!

Right when Windows starts up I open up the task manager and start viewing the CPU usage history. Immediately when the computer stop responding and everything freezes, my CPU usage drops to 0% and stays there. The history is still recording and going though. I'm starting to feel like the CPU is the problem :-S

Alphabet85

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008
I haven't been able to recreate the BSOD so I can't see the message. The memory is definatly in the right slots unless ASUS wired things wrong. The GPU is at a cool temp of about 28C and the cpu is around 40C

Alphabet85

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008
Now the computer just turns on, then like 3 seconds later turns off. Then 3-ish seconds later turns off, then 3 seconds later turns off. And just keeps going and going :-( I wanna cry. lol

EDIT: I'm going ot bed. the reset button was stuck whcih caused it to turn on and off. Still not working right though. Read a few forums and a few said they fixed a problem similar to mine by getting a new HHD. I might try that tomorrow.

theusare

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
If you can get the error code that will be the best thing. Anyways, there are many possibilities at this time, can be improper installation of motherboard in the case,...etc. Remove every thing from the case and run it outside with minimum things and a keyboard. First without hdd, check bios and then with hdd in command prompt mode. try this first.

Alphabet85

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008

It says its running at the default speed of 1333 MHz. I don't know what the correct voltage levels should be.

Alphabet85

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008

I have everything plugged in properly. I'm thinking it could be these things. not enough power from the PSU, messed up motherboard, or a messed up HHD.

Alphabet85

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008
Okay, Ive opened the task manager to view the CPU usage. It seems to be working in spurts. For instance, currently I have Windows update installing stuff, and I inserted my USB drive and its taking a LONG time to access it and the CPU usage is staying at zero. But occasionally, and im talkign about minutes, the cpu would spike a little. Progress bars have that highlighted light still moving, but the bar its self isnt anymore. I dont think it could be my CPU overheating though. The CPU is running at around 44C. Do you think it could be my motherboard?

Alphabet85

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008
I finally was able to recreate the BSOD I have two images here. I hope this helps. I'm getting pretty frustrated and replace stuff part by part :-(.

4nM2Q.jpg

Q7X6f.jpg

yodoames

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
are you able to open your BIOS and look around? if so look for the voltage on your RAM and see what it's at. i just resolved an issue with my computer freezing up to find out it was just a simple voltage change

Alphabet85

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008

My voltage is set to 'auto'. What should the voltage be put at? I don't have much experience with working with voltages in the BIOS.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Well the evidence points to the HDD yet the HDD has been swapped out. The System freezes yet the mouse moves and that second BSOD states that a crucial process or thread has been interrupted and that indicates HDD issues. It is not the CPU otherwise it would not be able to generate Bluescreens. The PSU is powerful enough yet it may be dropping voltage. This could be one of those nasty two problems happening at once situations which prevent diagnosis by swapping parts out.

I suspect that the HDD is losing the ability to provide Data but this may not be due to the HDD itself which would explain the fact it happens when the HDD is swapped out. That points me in the direction of the Motherboard and possible South Bridge failure. If it is not that then it is the PSU most likely but the Motherboard is my prime suspect at this stage.