Sign in with
Your question

Newly Homebuilt Computer Wont Stop Freezing

Last response: in Systems
September 10, 2011 3:28:28 AM

I just built a computer today that wont stop freezing. I have Windows 7 64-bit installed and all the drivers. But underload, even if its just installing something and I press the start button, the computer freezes. After I installed some updates, I had to restart the computer and then it wouldnt stop saying "shutting down". Eventually the blue screen of death came up and then it restarted. What is going on? I cant figure out what is wrong.

Specs:
Windows 7 64-bit
ASUS P7P55D-E LX LGA 1156
Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 X 2gb) model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
EVGA GeForce GTX 570 Fermi
Western Digital 320 GB 7200 RPM WD32000AAKX
Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W ATX12v

Please help.
September 10, 2011 3:40:08 AM

Oh, more information. The computer freezes, but the mouse still can move around smoothly. I just cant click anything with any response. I don't know if that helps.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
September 10, 2011 3:47:57 AM

I would make sure that the CPU doesn't overheat and that nothing is overclocked. Then I would try another PSU. What was the BSOD code?
m
l
Related resources
September 10, 2011 3:50:35 AM

Yeah I'm looking to get a better heat sink for the CPU, nothing should be overclocked. I have everything at factory defaults. I really dont know how to overclock. lol What kind of PSU should I get. I was thinking something 850W. What is BSOD Code?

Edit: I just found out what BSOD means lol. I dont know what the code is. It came up too quickly and restarted for me to see what it said.
m
l
September 10, 2011 4:09:00 AM

sounds like it could be the ram.
try only using 1 stick at a time in only 1 slot, testing out each slot & stick for stability.
m
l
September 10, 2011 4:33:12 AM

I've tried using one slot at a time. It seems all slots are unstable and both ram chips. I've noticed that each time I do something like more than one task, ie. I'm downloading drivers then presst the start button or do alt-ctrl-del to get the task manager, or anything other than what the computer is currently do, the computer freezes. Sometimes i click things and there will be a LONG delay. sometimes it seems I get no response. :-/
m
l
September 10, 2011 5:17:16 AM

UPDATE!

Right when Windows starts up I open up the task manager and start viewing the CPU usage history. Immediately when the computer stop responding and everything freezes, my CPU usage drops to 0% and stays there. The history is still recording and going though. I'm starting to feel like the CPU is the problem :-S
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
September 10, 2011 5:43:25 AM

Do some basic troubleshooting:

1. Google the BSOD error message (Google "turn off automatic restart" if ya can't catch it).

2. Event Viewer messages ?

3. Have you run memtest86+ ? Have Mem in right slots ?

4. CPU and GPU temps ?

m
l
September 10, 2011 6:02:19 AM

I haven't been able to recreate the BSOD so I can't see the message. The memory is definatly in the right slots unless ASUS wired things wrong. The GPU is at a cool temp of about 28C and the cpu is around 40C
m
l
September 10, 2011 6:12:11 AM

Now the computer just turns on, then like 3 seconds later turns off. Then 3-ish seconds later turns off, then 3 seconds later turns off. And just keeps going and going :-( I wanna cry. lol

EDIT: I'm going ot bed. the reset button was stuck whcih caused it to turn on and off. Still not working right though. Read a few forums and a few said they fixed a problem similar to mine by getting a new HHD. I might try that tomorrow.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
September 10, 2011 6:21:13 AM

It is the HDD I believe. When the mouse moves but nothing responds it is the HDD failing to supply data so the PC doesn't know what to do but has not crashed in itself.
m
l
September 10, 2011 7:24:05 AM

I just tried a different HHD I had laying around. Still the same issue. Would start, then would stop and become unresponsive.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
September 10, 2011 9:21:57 AM

Make sure your cables are properly inserted into the PSU itself. Especially the ones that power your drives.
m
l
September 10, 2011 10:23:13 AM

If you can get the error code that will be the best thing. Anyways, there are many possibilities at this time, can be improper installation of motherboard in the case,...etc. Remove every thing from the case and run it outside with minimum things and a keyboard. First without hdd, check bios and then with hdd in command prompt mode. try this first.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
September 10, 2011 11:06:35 AM

tomskent said:
sounds like it could be the ram.
try only using 1 stick at a time in only 1 slot, testing out each slot & stick for stability.
Are you running the memory at the default speed (1333 MHz) or at 1600 MHz? Are all voltages reported in the BIOS correct?
m
l
September 10, 2011 4:01:58 PM

GhislainG said:
Are you running the memory at the default speed (1333 MHz) or at 1600 MHz? Are all voltages reported in the BIOS correct?

It says its running at the default speed of 1333 MHz. I don't know what the correct voltage levels should be.
m
l
September 10, 2011 4:07:40 PM

Wamphryi said:
Make sure your cables are properly inserted into the PSU itself. Especially the ones that power your drives.

I have everything plugged in properly. I'm thinking it could be these things. not enough power from the PSU, messed up motherboard, or a messed up HHD.
m
l
September 10, 2011 4:25:17 PM

Okay, Ive opened the task manager to view the CPU usage. It seems to be working in spurts. For instance, currently I have Windows update installing stuff, and I inserted my USB drive and its taking a LONG time to access it and the CPU usage is staying at zero. But occasionally, and im talkign about minutes, the cpu would spike a little. Progress bars have that highlighted light still moving, but the bar its self isnt anymore. I dont think it could be my CPU overheating though. The CPU is running at around 44C. Do you think it could be my motherboard?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
September 10, 2011 4:39:38 PM

Alphabet85 said:
It says its running at the default speed of 1333 MHz. I don't know what the correct voltage levels should be.

The default settings are fine. Mine never had an issue with the same memory kit also running at 1333 MHz.
m
l
September 10, 2011 5:16:04 PM

Would it be dumb to get a new MB and a PSU with more power to it?
m
l
September 10, 2011 6:06:51 PM

I finally was able to recreate the BSOD I have two images here. I hope this helps. I'm getting pretty frustrated and replace stuff part by part :-(.

m
l
September 10, 2011 7:59:22 PM

are you able to open your BIOS and look around? if so look for the voltage on your RAM and see what it's at. i just resolved an issue with my computer freezing up to find out it was just a simple voltage change
m
l
September 10, 2011 8:18:26 PM

yodoames said:
are you able to open your BIOS and look around? if so look for the voltage on your RAM and see what it's at. i just resolved an issue with my computer freezing up to find out it was just a simple voltage change

My voltage is set to 'auto'. What should the voltage be put at? I don't have much experience with working with voltages in the BIOS.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
September 10, 2011 9:40:34 PM

Well the evidence points to the HDD yet the HDD has been swapped out. The System freezes yet the mouse moves and that second BSOD states that a crucial process or thread has been interrupted and that indicates HDD issues. It is not the CPU otherwise it would not be able to generate Bluescreens. The PSU is powerful enough yet it may be dropping voltage. This could be one of those nasty two problems happening at once situations which prevent diagnosis by swapping parts out.

I suspect that the HDD is losing the ability to provide Data but this may not be due to the HDD itself which would explain the fact it happens when the HDD is swapped out. That points me in the direction of the Motherboard and possible South Bridge failure. If it is not that then it is the PSU most likely but the Motherboard is my prime suspect at this stage.
m
l
September 10, 2011 10:08:37 PM

i know it's set to auto but you should see somewhere the voltage of the RAM. yours should be set at 1.5v
m
l
September 12, 2011 3:23:27 AM

So I replaced the Motherboard and Harddrive. Those two are not the problems....UGH.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
September 12, 2011 3:31:08 AM

Alphabet85 said:
So I replaced the Motherboard and Harddrive. Those two are not the problems....UGH.

Did you try another PSU? Did you try a different video card? Even an old PCI video card would work for that test.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
September 12, 2011 3:43:37 AM

At least we can now eliminate the Motherboard and HDD. That narrows the field. The main suspect is PSU followed by RAM then GPU. The reason I say this is because you stated earlier that the mouse would move around and nothing would respond and that Blue Screen talks of the termination of a thread or process. I suspect that the PSU is dropping power to the HDD on at least some occasions causing the HDD to fail as opposed to an inherent fault on the HDD.
m
l
September 12, 2011 5:45:59 AM

Wamphryi said:
At least we can now eliminate the Motherboard and HDD. That narrows the field. The main suspect is PSU followed by RAM then GPU. The reason I say this is because you stated earlier that the mouse would move around and nothing would respond and that Blue Screen talks of the termination of a thread or process. I suspect that the PSU is dropping power to the HDD on at least some occasions causing the HDD to fail as opposed to an inherent fault on the HDD.

That's what I'm starting to think. Tomorrow I'm gonna get a new PSU. Preferably a 850W just to be safe, and not a cheap one. I'm getting tired of dealing with this computer and it's not even gonna be mine. >:|
m
l
September 12, 2011 5:57:04 AM

Okay, I'm doing a memtest and here is the pic

The settings dont look right.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
September 12, 2011 6:57:13 AM

A good PSU is a total essential. I wouldn't worry about watts so much (650 watts minimum though) as the inherent quality. A Corsair Professional or even Gold Standard would be good choices.
m
l
September 12, 2011 7:32:51 PM

Okay, so I put in the new PSU. Got a CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 800W.....Same issue occurs. Replaced the Motherboard, HDD, AND PSU now. I'm starting to look at the RAM. Did memtest on ram last night with no probs. But I think the Ram might not be compatible or something.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
September 12, 2011 7:36:02 PM

That can be the case with RAM. You never tried running with one DIMM at a time?
m
l
September 12, 2011 7:46:36 PM

If I run on DIMM at a time, what will I be looking for? The same issue?
m
l
September 12, 2011 7:54:03 PM

I just tried doing on DIMM at a time and the same issue happens, but faster. I can barely get into windows, and most of the time not even at all.
m
l
September 12, 2011 8:48:10 PM

Quote:
how many sticks do you have? Have you tried testing all of them?

You might have a set of faulty ram sticks >_>

I have G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH
m
l
September 13, 2011 2:27:45 AM

I was doing research on the parts I got. The i5 760 CPU only supports DDR3-1066/1333 and the RAM that I got, G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL, is 1600. I think That's why I got instability issues.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
September 13, 2011 2:32:04 AM

Alphabet85 said:
I was doing research on the parts I got. The i5 760 CPU only supports DDR3-1066/1333 and the RAM that I got, G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL, is 1600. I think That's why I got instability issues.
I run the same RAM at 1333 MHz on the same motherboard and it's stable. Since your system isn't stable with a single module at 1333 MHz, the issue is elsewhere.
m
l
September 13, 2011 2:53:38 AM

GhislainG said:
I run the same RAM at 1333 MHz on the same motherboard and it's stable. Since your system isn't stable with a single module at 1333 MHz, the issue is elsewhere.

::cries::
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
September 13, 2011 11:45:45 AM

I understand how you feel. Did you try it outside of the case?
m
l
September 13, 2011 2:49:04 PM

GhislainG said:
I understand how you feel. Did you try it outside of the case?

Yeah I tried the RAM, HDD, Video card and the PSU outside the case on my other computer I built and they work fine. I think might be a compatibility issue between the RAM and the CPU. I'm getting a new set of RAM today, hopefully that does it. If not then I might just RMA the motherboards and CPU to get a whole entire new motherboard and CPU but get 1155 instead since there are more hardware choices.
m
l
September 13, 2011 8:23:20 PM

I put in the the new RAM
Drum roll please
STILL DOESNT WORK!

::loads shotgun::
m
l
September 14, 2011 12:56:50 AM

I'm just gonna RMA my RAM, CPU, MoBo, and PSU. I'm gonna start from scratch again.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
September 14, 2011 12:57:00 AM

This is shaping up to be one of the most vexing problems in IT history. It is possible that a damaged USB Port is shorting out the system perhaps. The Case itself seems to be the only thing we haven't touched on. Check all the Case ports and physical power switch etc to make sure they are as they should be.

You seem to have enough parts to build almost two PC's there. Set them both up using the bread board method and leave them running. If you do not have enough parts to run them both at the same time build the first unit and then the complete the second one as best you can.

Now if set up one holds stable then build it in to the case. If it fails we have a issue with the Case probably some kind of short. If the first build does not hold up then move what parts you have to the second set up. If the second holds stable then it is a part left behind with the first set up. If it doesn't hold then it is a part that you have moved to the second set up.

Make sense?
m
l
September 14, 2011 2:56:16 AM

Wamphryi said:
This is shaping up to be one of the most vexing problems in IT history. It is possible that a damaged USB Port is shorting out the system perhaps. The Case itself seems to be the only thing we haven't touched on. Check all the Case ports and physical power switch etc to make sure they are as they should be.

You seem to have enough parts to build almost two PC's there. Set them both up using the bread board method and leave them running. If you do not have enough parts to run them both at the same time build the first unit and then the complete the second one as best you can.

Now if set up one holds stable then build it in to the case. If it fails we have a issue with the Case probably some kind of short. If the first build does not hold up then move what parts you have to the second set up. If the second holds stable then it is a part left behind with the first set up. If it doesn't hold then it is a part that you have moved to the second set up.

Make sense?

TOTALLY makes sense. But I already mailed out the stuff today :/  The new stuff I'm gonan get I'll use one of my old cases which I know is fine and make sure its not the New Case that I bought. And I totally agree with you all around. "most vexing problems in IT history". Seriously I contacted my teachers (i'm studying computer information systems), friends, even the people that make the damn products and they all had difference answer, did pretty much every single one and none of them worked. This is just FUBAR all around.
m
l
September 14, 2011 2:57:24 AM

Quote:
lol gl >_<

make sure every cable/socket is okay as well

gonna make the exact same build or do a redo with diff parts of same value? gl <3

I know the PSU, VGA, and HDD are definatlly fine. I tested them on my current runnign computer and they work fine. I'm replacing the MoBo, CPU and Ram.
m
l
!