Fern2899

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Hey guys, just want to start off saying thanks for viewing my thread, and any input would be great!! First off I just did my first build, and got it running and has been running for a 2 weeks now, havent had any issues really, but originally when I stress test on the CPU (3 hrs along) my temp readings were roughly around 77 - 81 degrees celcius with no errors... Now let me explain the setup I have

Cooler master haf 932 full tower (I think 932)
I5-2500k factory speed, paired with oem cooler
Asus p8p67 pro
8gigs g skill ripjaws x 2x4gigs
MSI twin frozr ii gtx560ti / oc 880mhz
Corsair tx650 power supply
W.D black caviar 1tb

I see people posting temps around 35 - 60ish deg. Celcius at max load with prime95.. Do I have something wrong with my setup? and yes all fans are spinning....

My idle temps are 35 - 40ish and creep to mid 40s during gameplay

I had plans to overclock my CPU with obviously a better cooler, but umm if my temps are as high as it is now, should I not try? Or again is there something wrong?

To help better your knowledge and maybe give you a more accurate discription, originally my mobo was a DOA... So I had to take off the cooler and CPU to ship back... When I got the new one I had to reapply the thermal paste (arctic silver) this was my first time having to apply that crap, but before I put it on I looked into on so many ways how to properly apply it? Can that be an issue... Or am I just a paranoid S.O.B??? PLEASE HELP

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
well, most people who post temperatures are using aftermarket coolers. Also, the CPU temperature greatly depends on the ambient temperature (and case airflow). With that said, those temperatures seem high even if I've never run an i5 with a stock heatsink.

Anyways, make sure that the heatsink is properly attached and that the push pins are properly secured all the way through the motherboard. It is possible that it isn't mounted correctly and so the temperatures are high. If it looks secure you may want to take it off, clean everything off with rubbing alcohol, add new thermal paste, and remount the heatsink. When you apply thermal paste you want it to be just enough to fill the tiny imperfections in the CPU and cooler. If you added a lot then it could be inhibiting the heatsinks efficiency. I know everyone has their own methods, but the way I do it is spread it thin on the CPU just enough that you can barely see the CPU. I've never had a problem with that method.