My next upgrade

Currently my computer is running with:

-ATI HD5850 @1GB
-Intel i5 650 (3,2GHz I guess)
-8gb of ddr3

should I upgrade GPU or CPU for gaming performance. running with a LG FULL HD led monitor, probably 24"

EDIT: planning to buy BF3 when released and would like to run it with as high settings as possible.
7 answers Last reply
More about upgrade
  1. i think its better to upgrade then you got better performance
  2. vladislav227 said:
    i think its better to upgrade then you got better performance

Yeah it's probably wise to upgrade, but not sure of where to start.
  3. best is get money go to the shop and buy all the thinks in 1 time
  4. If BFBC2 is anything to go by then BFBC3 will use multi core technology, your Intel i5 650 may struggle, it has 4 thread's but only 2 physical cores, having said that even if you had a Core i7 990X your HD5850 won't max out BFBC3 on a 24" display (1920 x 1080 or 1920 x 1200).

I would personnaly go for a CPU upgrade (hard to recommend without knowing your budget)... If you went for a GPU upgrade there is a chance its performance would be held back by your CPU in a highly CPU intensive game like BFBC3.
  5. ^ +1
    get a quad cpu.. like I7
    I will say you wait till the game is released and see where it performs best.. I mean which cpu.. ;)
  6. Your GPU is still good for 1080p........so I will add to the "get a quad-core" group.
  7. As a rule, the best gaming is mostly dependent on the graphics card.

To help clarify your options, run these two tests:

1) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
    If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.

2) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
    If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics