Laptop CPU upgrade possilbe?

addison

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
Okay I have this awesome laptop I have a toshibia c655d-s5048 I gave it 8 gigs ram, a new 320 hdd (7200 RPM)

Now I need a good CPU choice but can I even change it is the question, I need it becaust I plan to buy a Vidock 4 with a GTS 250 to maximize my lovely laptop performance.

No lowbies please, I am educated with this stuff but I see nothing about this laptop and CPU changes so i'm wondering if I can't change it. Also I have W7 64 bit home. I play WC3 and if I do get a vidock, I will get a 250gts.

LOOK UP VIDOCK 4 I WANT NO POST OF WHAT THE HELL IT IS DON'T POST IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS.

First of all, your laptop is not that awesome (far from game capable).

Second of all, I looked at the toshiba site and it looks like there is no expresscard slot on your laptop for the vidock to plug into. You may have a slightly different version so I would check to make sure the expresscard is there before buying it.

And number 3, even with the dock, your performance will not be good because of the bandwidth limit of the expresscard interface of 500MB/s.

IMO, it is better to get a new desktop build or upgrade your current desktop build for game instead of the the close to $600 upgrade vidock ($275) + desktop GPU ($100) and cpu upgrade (maybe another $200?). Even a new game-able laptop is not that far off, about $800 and you don't have to do anything, get better i5 cpu and not restricted to 500MB/s on graphics so that you can actually use the gpu.

Laptop cpu is definitly upgradable. However, I had only upgrade intel based cpu before and knows nothing about amd's laptop lineup. So am I one of the lowbies? Should I not reply this post?

I don't like you telling people not to post when the purpose of this forum is to encourage people to post anything which may be constructive.

Sorry, I think you are not well informed about laptop topic because you need to ask these question. However, if I had a question which I asked this community, I wouldn't tell anyone, including you, not to reply.

This is the open mindset you need to have. No one knows everyone.

runswindows95

Distinguished
I agree overall with Pyree. The laptop you have lacks an express card slot, so the Vidock will not work with it. Better off getting either a desktop to run it, or buy a better laptop. The thing about laptop CPU upgrades is they are hard to find from a reliable vendor, and the other thing to consider is the heat that a new one will place on the laptop.

addison

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i5+Processor+/+14%22+Display+/+6GB+Memory+/+750GB+Hard+Drive/2776251.p;jsessionid=3FEB69FC9DCE235B3E693BDF19CE2590.bbolsp-app06-05?id=1218350599006&skuId=2776251&st=samsung&cp=1&lp=3 I will change the HDD to a 7200 rpm 750gb and does this have a express my bro has a samgund and they are NICE! Do you think I could get a better deal at kick ass compusa there prices are fricken unbeliavley low I love compusa. Will they have the same laptop for a lower price. I do have a good education in tech but no changing laptops CPU'S LOL. I really want a good laptop not a aleinpissware to pricey to me. EX better cpu http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7128725&CatId=4939