CPU 990x 1336 socket with 580 sli

Funkytown

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Hello,

Please tell me if at monitor resolution 1920 x 1080, with a cpu 990x at stock 3.46 GHz, will bottle neck 2 msi lightening extreme 580 gtx.

http://ark.intel.com/products/52585/Intel-Core-i7-990X-Processor-Extreme-Edition-(12M-Cache-3_46-GHz-6_40-GTs-Intel-QPI)

http://www.msi.com/product/vga/N580GTX-Lightning-Xtreme-Edition.html

If there is bottle necking, how do i notice it?

For example mouse movement is quirky and graphics jittery? Also I am susceptible to flickering being unintentional making me photosensitive, sound sensitive, and being a bit more quirky as well (I don't play that long as well, compared to others who get the same effect from playing a long time continuously). That is why, when i noticed jittery movement in games with this set up, I did not feel good. I normally manage well in other rigs which are not heavy duty and run smoothly, or smoother.

So should I over clock the cpu? If so, how do I do that. Please point me in the right direction.

usually there will be no bottlenecking, also get a nice cooler or the cooler i believe it supplied with the 990x. And in the bios adjust the multiplier, but also make sure your temps are within ~30 on idle and ~60 on full load. If things are jittery that is called micro stuttering and by disabling hyperthreading can sometimes help. But also make sure you have all the sli drivers and other things installed.

Funkytown

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
I tried BF3. I got micro stutters on that. I will try OCing a see if that helps, and mess around with the video settings of the game and lower them to see if there is a difference.

Also if I adjust the multiplier, how do i calculate what I adjust it too? What is a good setting with a Corsair H100 water cpu cooler?

I am not sure what is the advantage of hyper threading, but I think it helps with multiple applications. SO its not necessary for gaming?

Disable hyperthreading and you won't get stuttering, also get a program called "coretemp" and monitor temps. With an h100 you could probably get to 4.5ghz+ with great temps.