On Board LAN stopped working mid game. why?

Jhagen

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
I have a Asus m4n68t-m v2(B) mainboard
AMD phenom IIx4 955 CPU
GeForce 8800gts
4 gig ram
32 bit op Sys.

My wife was playing World of Warcraft and mid game the LAN cut out and stopped working.
The LAN card is there in the device manager, says it's operating fine.
When the cord is plugged in NO LIGHTS at all come on (green or Orange)
Tried a old LAN I had laying about with no success. The lights came on for a minute or 2 but then went off.

So.
Format -> Re-Install
Same thing.
Put the Second NIC card in it and it lights up. Stays lit up. But Windows will not recognize it at all in the Device Manager. Even to say WTF is that card you put in?

I disabled the LAN in the BIOS before I tried the Second Nic card as well.
Re-enabled.
IPConfig /all says that the media is disconected on the card and the Tunnel 6 thing.

Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection

Media State : Disconnected
DNS Suffix :
Description : NVIDIA nForce
Physical Address : f4-6d-04-e8-39-ad
DHCP Enabled : yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled : yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6
Media State : Disconnected
DNS Suffix :
Description : Microsoft isatap
Physical Address : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled : no
Autoconfiguration Enabled : yes

I am not really sure what else to do. I formatted and reinstalled. Tried a different NiC card.

Any help would be Greatly appreciated.

Try a loopback test. Open command prompt, type: ping -a 127.0.0.1 and press the enter key. If this succeeds, the NIC is fine. This would mean that the problem is either of the following:

1. Bad Cat5 cable
2. Firewall from AV software
3. router port

Jhagen

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
Ok.
So.

I did a ping test and got this.

Pinging Tara-PC [127.0.0.1] with 32 bytes of data:
reply from [127.0.0.1]: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1 :
Packets Sent = 4, Recieved = 4, Lost = 0 <0% loss>
Approximate round trip time in mili-seconds :
Minimum = 0ms, Maximun = 0ms, Average = 0ms

This looks like it was successful to me.

I unplugged the cable and plugged it into my laptop (yes I turned off the wifi on the laptop) and was able to access the internets on it.
The Wifi on the router also works as My computer and the Laptop and my iphone and my wifes android all work on it.
There is no AV on it after I clean installed (and by clean I mean formatted both my drives and reinstalled on C).
I turned Microsoft Firewall off as well.
And I did a bios defaults.

The odd thing for me is that if the NIC's gone I can see that but why, despite the fact that it was lit up, does a secondary NIC not work? or isnt even recognized by Windows at all. (again this is a clean install).

It's almost as if something in the mainboard settings is blocking the NIC's from working.

So my choices, assuming there isnt a easy solution, are to take the board back (I believe I still have Waranty) or to maybe patch the BIOS. Though I didn't see anything directly relating to this in the MB's forums that would require a upgrade.

Any thought?

When you reformatted, did you install the LAN driver for the mobo? Also, did you specifically try the same port your wife was connected to, with a different system?

The iPhone and Android-based phone are irrelevant connections, if you're trying to determine why the Cat5 connection isn't working. However, what happens if you try to connect your wife to the network wirelessly?