Is it necessary to buy an extra fan for you CPU?

Zigiy

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
I'm watching some Computer building videos in order to be better prepared for when I build mine. I'm just wondering in all the videos they should them using thermal paste to glue a CPU Fan on top of the CPU.

I'm just wondering if a fan comes with your CPU (In my case its a i5 2500k). Or do I have to seperately go buy a CPU fan. And if I do, can anyone show me some fans that are reasonably priced.

Here in one of the many videos i've Watched are some pictures suggesting I need to seperately buy a CPU fan:
2.png

And...

1-1.png

Heres the link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1NxsHpaL_s

the standard 2500k cooler comes with a fan--their are 2 versions of 2500k--retail and oem-- one comes with a

cooler and one without

if you want to do heavy overclocking with the 2500k an aftermarket cooler would be advisable--the

coolermaster hyper 212 plus is cheap and a decent cooler

the thermal paste isnt actually to glue the cpu on--though it does also have that effect--its to fill in tiny gaps

between the two surfaces for better heat transfer

theneomaster

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
Unless you're planning to overclock or wanting a silent PC, the stock cooler will be sufficient, it does its job and nothing more. Otherwise, I would get a Coolermaster hyper 212 as others have suggested.

Chipbuster

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
To make a long story short, the default fan with most CPUs is pretty crappy, and will do just good enough of a job to keep it kind of cool under normal-ish usage. It's also usually a small fan, so it has to spin really fast (making it loud) to keep up with higher-powered processors.

If you want to do really high-performance stuff, overclock, or just want your computer to be quiet, get an aftermarket. Like pretty much everyone in the thread had said, the Hyper 212 is cheap and pretty darn good. I use it on my Phenom II X6 (125W TDP) and it stays around 40C while torture testing.

Like most answers...it depends on what ya wanna do..... to keep temps in line I'd suggest
2500K @ stock settings - Stock Cooler
2500k @ 4.4 - 4.5 Ghz - Hyper 212 - $25
2500k @ 4.6 - 4.7 Ghz - Scythe Mugen 3 or Hyper 612 PWM - $50
2500k @ 4.8 - 5.0 Ghz - Thermalright Silver Arrow - $80