Sign in with
Your question

Help upgrading my two year old HD 4890

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 9, 2011 2:43:32 PM

Hi guys,
I was hoping you could advise me on how to best upgrade my Radeon HD 4890
I am looking to upgrade my two year old gaming rig. I don’t think upgrading the CPU is an option since the board is pre i7 tech buy I was hoping to scrape a bit more performance by upgrading the GPU. Do you guys think it’s worth upgrading this machine or would it be more cost effective to just buy a new machine? If yes which card would give me a decent performance increase?
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: next couple of months, BUDGET RANGE: £500

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming at highest possible detail: The Witcher2, Planning on playing Deus Ex Human revolution when it comes out
CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Radeon HD 4890, 600W PSU
OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Board: ASUS P5Q PRO P45 LGA775 CrossFire FSB1333 DDR2/800
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz 1333FSB 12MB L2

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: don’t care
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: UK

PARTS PREFERENCES: n/A
OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: n/a

I am not really big on hardware and have been out of the loop for the last 2 years so I don’t really mind what card I stick in here as long as it’s worth it. I have no preference on ATI vs Nvidia but I assume due to the board being crossfire it should be a Radeon?

Also I assume I will need to upgrade my PSU to supply the monsters that are modern day GPUs.

Many thanks for your help in advance :) 

More about : upgrading year 4890

July 9, 2011 3:01:06 PM

The system won't let me edit my post so here is an addendum:

Sorry I forgot to add that I am currently considering the Radeon HD6970 as it seems to be good value for money. I am not sure whether to go for the Sapphire or the Powercolor one though. My last two systems were Sapphire cards and I have come to learn they are reliable. However the Powercolor seems cheaper and not any worse performance wise.

Also do you guys think my system will be able to get the most out of a fairly beefy card such as the HD 6970.

Sapphire: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/250395
Powercolor: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/254950
a b U Graphics card
July 9, 2011 3:21:54 PM

6950 or 6970 would be a good choice. If your 600w unit is high quality you should be fine, the 4890 probably uses as much power as the 6950. You don't need to upgrade your whole system the Q9550 is still a good CPU. I have a Q9550 and SLI GTX 465s and my CPU isn't a bottleneck.
July 9, 2011 5:56:13 PM

Hi benski,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I think I will go with the 6970 then.
!