Bokeh - Where did the term come from, and how do you prono..

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 31, 2005 3:41:44 AM

Bokeh - Where did the term come from, and how do you pronounce it?

More about : bokeh term prono

Anonymous
March 31, 2005 3:41:45 AM

<spbarron@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Bokeh - Where did the term come from, and how do you pronounce it?

It is Japanese.

Most here pronounce it boe-kuh, but I think the Japanese just "boke".
-Not sure about the latter...
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 11:19:19 AM

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:41:44 -0500, spbarron@rogers.com wrote:

>Bokeh - Where did the term come from, and how do you pronounce it?

It's from the Japanese word for "blur", boke.

The "h" was added to keep English-speakers from rhyming it with
"broke" As I understand it, it rhymes with "mocha" except that there
are no stressed syllables in Japanese.

A Japanese-speaker will be along soon to correct me if I'm mistaken.

Dave

-------------------------------------
Everything I know, and then some:
http://www.auctionmyths.com
March 31, 2005 1:30:23 PM

In article <599n41d4raarcio03gga0pb69kjv9g1hk8@4ax.com>,
Dave Busch <moc.seimmud4latigid@eriafresal> wrote:
>On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:41:44 -0500, spbarron@rogers.com wrote:
>
>>Bokeh - Where did the term come from, and how do you pronounce it?
>
>It's from the Japanese word for "blur", boke.
>
>The "h" was added to keep English-speakers from rhyming it with
>"broke" As I understand it, it rhymes with "mocha" except that there
>are no stressed syllables in Japanese.

I always thought it was pronounced to rhyme with, "okay", as in the British
pronunciation of "bouqet".
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 2:30:31 PM

In article <599n41d4raarcio03gga0pb69kjv9g1hk8@4ax.com>,
Dave Busch <moc.seimmud4latigid@eriafresal> wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:41:44 -0500, spbarron@rogers.com wrote:
>
> >Bokeh - Where did the term come from, and how do you pronounce it?
>
> It's from the Japanese word for "blur", boke.
>
> The "h" was added to keep English-speakers from rhyming it with
> "broke" As I understand it, it rhymes with "mocha" except that there
> are no stressed syllables in Japanese.
>
> A Japanese-speaker will be along soon to correct me if I'm mistaken.

You are not completely correct....I have a soundfile on my computer of a
Japanese person pronouncing it. It goes like BO-keh, with a slightly
longer "bo" and short keh (spoken like "que?") It doesn't rhyme with
mocha. closest sounding English word is "bouquet" I think, that sounds a
bit like my bokeh soundfile, apart from the ou-o change

by the way, I found it when I looked for info on how to pronounce
"Zuiko"... another one of those things.
:-)
Lourens
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 3:58:02 PM

Chris Brown <cpbrown@ntlworld.no_uce_please.com> wrote:

> In article <599n41d4raarcio03gga0pb69kjv9g1hk8@4ax.com>,
> Dave Busch <moc.seimmud4latigid@eriafresal> wrote:
> >On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:41:44 -0500, spbarron@rogers.com wrote:
> >
> >>Bokeh - Where did the term come from, and how do you pronounce it?
> >
> >It's from the Japanese word for "blur", boke.
> >
> >The "h" was added to keep English-speakers from rhyming it with
> >"broke" As I understand it, it rhymes with "mocha" except that there
> >are no stressed syllables in Japanese.
>
> I always thought it was pronounced to rhyme with, "okay", as in the British
> pronunciation of "bouqet".

Uh.... This Briton pronounces "bouquet" nothing like "okay" (and not
much like *boke*, neither).

Louise Bremner (log at gol dot com)
If you want a reply by e-mail, don't write to my Yahoo address!
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 5:30:23 PM

In article <1gub3h6.17hdigb1wzyi80N%dame_zumari@yahoo.com>,
Louise Bremner <log.NO.SPAM.HERE@gol.com> wrote:
>Chris Brown <cpbrown@ntlworld.no_uce_please.com> wrote:
>

>> I always thought it was pronounced to rhyme with, "okay", as in the British
>> pronunciation of "bouqet".
>
>Uh.... This Briton pronounces "bouquet" nothing like "okay" (and not
>much like *boke*, neither).

Please tell me you don't engage in that nasty southern habit of schwa-ing
the poor word to death?

Although I've lived in the south for some time now, a lot of people can
still detect that I'm originally from "oop north", because I still can't
quite bring myself to stop pronouncing vowels. ;->
March 31, 2005 7:13:59 PM

"Dave Busch" <moc.seimmud4latigid@eriafresal> wrote in message
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:41:44 -0500, spbarron@rogers.com wrote:
>
>>Bokeh - Where did the term come from, and how do you pronounce it?
>
> It's from the Japanese word for "blur", boke.

As in "If it ain't boke don't flix it" :o )
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 11:08:54 PM

"Chris Brown" <cpbrown@ntlworld.no_uce_please.com> wrote:
> Dave Busch <moc.seimmud4latigid@eriafresal> wrote:
> >On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:41:44 -0500, spbarron@rogers.com wrote:
> >
> >>Bokeh - Where did the term come from, and how do you pronounce it?
> >
> >It's from the Japanese word for "blur", boke.
> >
> >The "h" was added to keep English-speakers from rhyming it with
> >"broke" As I understand it, it rhymes with "mocha" except that there
> >are no stressed syllables in Japanese.
>
> I always thought it was pronounced to rhyme with, "okay", as in the
British
> pronunciation of "bouqet".

Dunno how "okay" is pronounced on that side of the pond. Probably quite
different from my side of the pond. (I had to read the Japanese subtitles in
Letter to Brezhnev since I couldn't understand what they were saying...)

The "e" is a tad shorter and without the grinning involved in pronouncing
the "a" in hay. I've been told vowels in Japanese are like vowels in
Italian, but given the difficulties I had with Latin and German (two
seriously difficult languages compared to Japanese) I've made a point of
avoiding European languages...

FWIW, the actual Japanese term is "bokeh-aji", literally "the flavor of the
out of focus".

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 11:08:55 PM

David J. Littleboy wrote:
> "Chris Brown" <cpbrown@ntlworld.no_uce_please.com> wrote:
>> Dave Busch <moc.seimmud4latigid@eriafresal> wrote:

>>> It's from the Japanese word for "blur", boke.
>>>
>>> The "h" was added to keep English-speakers from rhyming it with
>>> "broke" As I understand it, it rhymes with "mocha" except that
>>> there
>>> are no stressed syllables in Japanese.
>>
>> I always thought it was pronounced to rhyme with, "okay", as in the
>> British pronunciation of "bouqet".
>
> Dunno how "okay" is pronounced on that side of the pond. Probably
> quite different from my side of the pond. (I had to read the Japanese
> subtitles in Letter to Brezhnev since I couldn't understand what they
> were saying...)
>
> The "e" is a tad shorter and without the grinning involved in
> pronouncing the "a" in hay. I've been told vowels in Japanese are
> like vowels in Italian, but given the difficulties I had with Latin
> and German (two seriously difficult languages compared to Japanese)
> I've made a point of avoiding European languages...
>
> FWIW, the actual Japanese term is "bokeh-aji", literally "the flavor
> of the out of focus".

So, is that flavoUr different from flavor?

No, really: one of the difficulties with speaking Spanish (as opposed to
speaking at it) for gringos is the challenge presented by learning to
lose the habit of drawing-out final vowels. _Tomate_ should sound like
"tow mah teh" as opposed to "to mah tey". Shutting down when the
communication is done, when the vowel has been sufficiently identified,
ain't natural for us north-of-the-borderers.

I wonder if _boke_ = "boh keh" requires the same kind of exhale
close-off rather than a dwindling deflation.

--
Frank ess
Anonymous

In article <onL2e.62874$le4.53321@fed1read04>,
"MarkĀ²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:

> <spbarron@rogers.com> wrote in message
> > Bokeh - Where did the term come from, and how do you pronounce it?
>
> It is Japanese.
>
> Most here pronounce it boe-kuh, but I think the Japanese just "boke".
> -Not sure about the latter...

Perfectly right - Japanese is phonetic so you pronounce vowels simply -
a as in mat, e as in met etc so bo as in bond and ke as in kettle.

BTW The consonant *L* doesn't exist in Japanese R is used instead and a
lot of Japanese get them confused (flied lice) likewise also si (as in
seat) - shi (she) is used - so 'We are sitting together' becomes...
!