Sign in with
Your question

All Games FPS went down all of a sudden?

Last response: in CPUs
December 10, 2011 10:20:29 AM

Hello,Community I've been playing on my pc games for a year and i didnt have any problems until yesterday.While i was playing a game called League of Legends my fps ingame dropped from 75-80 to 15.I was playing a game everything was OK and in the next game my fps went so low.I tried several thing:Restart,delete the game,preinstall,update drivers,trying to play a game without internet(not LoL - Nba2k11),delete everythining but nothing happened.I tried to play other games and it was the same thing When i PLAY the game there are low fps but while in the menu of the game i don't experience low fps.So i was like ok if it is not software it is hardware.So I opened my pc to check what's happening and it was full of webs.Well i haven't cleaned it up for year.So i cleaned it fast.And started the pc .When I started the game the game ran smoothly with 75 fps like before but 1m after that it started running with 35-40 fps which was again really annoying.My PC has 2 gb ram DDR3 1333,Nvida gt 240,500 gb hard ,Gigabyte 880gm-ud2h motherboard.I have no idea what happened I am running the game a year without problems and all of a sudden the next game my fps went low so bad

More about : games fps sudden

December 10, 2011 10:32:27 AM

Firstly, as you already found out, cleaning the case time after time is a good idea.

It sounds like your CPU might be becoming too hot and downclocking (reducing the speed) itself so it does not overheat.
It could be useful to check the operating temperature of your CPU, you can find many free programs which do that online.
In case heat is the problem, turn your PC off and clean the CPU heatsink of any dust. Do the same for the graphics card heatsink. If it does not help, you could take the CPU heatsink off, clean the thermal paste leftovers, apply new thermal pase and re-seat the cleaned heatsing. Or buy a new, better heatsink.

However, making sure if it's a temperature problem would be a good first step.
December 10, 2011 10:55:49 AM

Thanks for the advise tulx ,I am gonna post as soon as possible the temperature :) 
Related resources
December 10, 2011 11:11:38 AM

Ok I installed a program called core temp and here is what i got:When i started the program the temperature Min and Max was 71 and when i played a game it raised to 73 .The load max point was at 67% now while not playing it is between 5-30%
December 10, 2011 11:14:01 AM

And what CPU do you have?
December 10, 2011 11:16:14 AM

just a second
December 10, 2011 11:17:26 AM

AMD ATHLON II X2 250 socket am2+
December 10, 2011 11:23:47 AM

I guess that explains it. I looked it up and found that the Maximum operating temperature (°C) for that model is 55 - 74. Seems to correspont with your readings.

Here are some tips from that same site regarding reducing the temperature:
  • Verify that there is unrestricted airflow to and from the CPU's heatsink and fan.
  • Move the computer away from other sources of heat, or to colder place.
  • Clean the CPU's heatsink and fan. Also clean other fans that are usually attached to your computer case.
  • Make sure that you use thermal paste when you install the CPU's heatsink.
  • Replace CPU's heatsink/fan with a more powerful one.
  • Add more fans to your case.
  • Replace the computer case with a case, that provides better airflow and more extensive cooling capabilities.
    December 10, 2011 11:29:20 AM

mhm ok since it is winter in my country my computer is like 35 cm away from the heating and the heating is almost on
    December 10, 2011 11:31:21 AM

tankz said:
    mhm ok since it is winter in my country my computer is like 35 cm away from the heating and the heating is almost on

Moving it further away could be a good start, yes. Also, check if the fans on your case (should there be any) are clean, and also the CPU fan.
    December 10, 2011 11:33:01 AM

What do u mean by the word "fan".The ports from which the heat exhails?
    December 10, 2011 11:41:34 AM

When i opened my pc (the case) and i say the fan for my powersupply i looked through the fan and i say that down there in the fan there was a white thing like a gum which was not soft?
    December 10, 2011 11:42:17 AM

A friend of mine told me that it is just a label which turned into this because of the heat
    December 10, 2011 12:05:12 PM

Can someone explain me how to clean the heatsink of the cpu and video?
    December 10, 2011 12:20:37 PM

tankz said:
    Can someone explain me how to clean the heatsink of the cpu and video?

It should be enough to just clean it from the dust. By either blowing the dust out, or using tweezers or something similar to pick the dust out (it usually gathers between the heatsink fan and the heatsink itself). Try the same for the video card.

PS - you don't have to wash it or anything. Just remove the dust.
    December 10, 2011 12:36:43 PM

OK.I just went to my local computer service and from there i told them about my high temperature they told me that if it was sucha high temperature the pc it would have shutdown by itself?

December 10, 2011 12:46:14 PM

tankz said:
    OK.I just went to my local computer service and from there i told them about my high temperature they told me that if it was sucha high temperature the pc it would have shutdown by itself?

That's also possible, but different CPU's behave differently. Some reduce their speed if they become too hot, others just shut down when critical temperature is reached. I've never had an Athlon II, so I couldn't tell.
    It is unlikely that the temperature readings by Core Temp are inaccurate, though. Getting rid of dust inside the case would be a good thing to do no matter what.
    December 10, 2011 1:36:41 PM

OK so i tried to clean up the thing just blowed to get rid of the dust yes some dust came out and i started my pc .WoW the temp was 44 C i ran the game and it was really smooth but then it conseqently started to raise up and it reached 71 degrees .First the game was brilliant but then it started the same way :( .when i clean up the dust do i have to open something and can i use my vacumcleaner just to blow the dust??? :D :D :
    December 10, 2011 1:43:12 PM

tankz said:
    OK so i tried to clean up the thing just blowed to get rid of the dust yes some dust came out and i started my pc .WoW the temp was 44 C i ran the game and it was really smooth but then it conseqently started to raise up and it reached 71 degrees .First the game was brilliant but then it started the same way :( .when i clean up the dust do i have to open something and can i use my vacumcleaner just to blow the dust??? :D :D :

You can use a vacuum cleaner, as long as the PC is powered off and you are being careful. Try not to damage any parts on the motherboard. Also, you could leave the case open, turn on the PC and see how the tempatarues behave then.
    If nothing else works, you should buy a new CPU cooler. They are pretty cheap, but a bit trickey to install if you haven't done that.
    December 10, 2011 2:07:32 PM

i think i cleaned it up i mean there isn't much dust outside but how can i be sure that there isn't inside?
    December 10, 2011 2:10:41 PM

tankz said:
    i think i cleaned it up i mean there isn't much dust outside but how can i be sure that there isn't inside?

Maybe you should just buy a better heatsink for your CPU. Difficult to say. Could you perhaps make a photo of the inside of your PC and post it here? Just to see how it looks and what could cause the high temperatures.
    December 11, 2011 1:59:32 PM

Oh,well sorry to say that i can't take photos :( .Installed another program for the cpu and it shows that it works on max power.Is there any program which can lower the working power of my cpu
    December 11, 2011 2:45:25 PM

tankz said:
    Oh,well sorry to say that i can't take photos :( .Installed another program for the cpu and it shows that it works on max power.Is there any program which can lower the working power of my cpu

By max power you mean that both CPU cores are working to full 100%? If so, you can open the task manager by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc and see which processes utilize the CPU the most. It's quite natural that the CPU is working at max caparity when some games or other demanding applications are run.
    It seems to me that you probably should replace the current CPU cooler with a better one. They're really not expensive.
    December 11, 2011 3:16:32 PM

tankz, make sure you get the dust out of the inside of the case as well (that's where it's going to cause the most issues). Not sure if you did already, but it didn't sound like it :\

Any program that "reduces the power" of the CPU will also reduce its performance. Give your computer a good dusting inside and out, and if that doesn't work, you should probably listen to tulx and get a new CPU cooler.

EDIT: Aaaand a derp, misunderstood an eariler post. If you cleaned inside, it's probably time to get a new cooler.
    !