Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Graphics for WoW

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 9, 2011 5:53:06 PM

Hey guys,
I'm buying a new laptop for college but I really want to play WoW on it too since my desktop is staying at home. I have narrowed it down to 4 configurations. They all have the same processor and amount of RAM, all that differs is graphics cards.

Processor and RAM:

Intel Core i5-2520M 2.50GHz Processor
6GB DDR3 RAM

Graphics cards:

1. NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M 1GB with Optimus

2. NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M 2GB with Optimus

3. NVIDIA GeForce GT 550M 1GB with Optimus

4. NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M 3GB with Optimus

What kind of graphics can each 1 of those cards produce in WoW and which is the best? It doesn't need to max out or anything like that, what I am really shooting for is to be able to play in 1080p with a decent fps. Any and all help is appreciated!

More about : graphics wow

a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
July 9, 2011 6:43:25 PM

When it comes to GPUs, especially with a game like WoW, a total of 1GB video RAM should be sufficient. However, keep in mind that laptop GPUs are intentionally underpowered to reduce energy use and heat output.

I haven't touched WoW for years, so I'm not sure how well things play with the latest expansion. Especially on a mobile platform. You want to play at 1080p, however are you certain the laptop itself will display 1080p?

Depending on pricing, I'd suggest the GT 550M 1GB over all. But it all depends on what resolution the laptop will actually support, and the graphic settings you use.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 9, 2011 7:22:42 PM

For the price of a gaming laptop considering buying a $400-500 laptop and a desktop.

Even $500 laptops with i3 + HD 3000 graphics can play WOW at decent settings depending on the resolution.

None of those video cards are very fast (no mobile cards are that fast) and certainly not fast enough to make use of more than 1GB of VRAM.
Score
Related resources
July 9, 2011 7:26:39 PM

It will support 1080p
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 9, 2011 7:28:26 PM

None of those mobile graphics will max out WOW at 1920x1080 with anti-aliasing (probably even without).

Get a desktop if you're serious about raiding anyways.
Score
July 10, 2011 3:06:21 AM

browsingtheworld said:
None of those mobile graphics will max out WOW at 1920x1080 with anti-aliasing (probably even without).

Get a desktop if you're serious about raiding anyways.

i disagree. i just got a Dell XPS with 1920x1080p full HD 3D monitor and a 550m 1gb card, 6gb of ram and i7-2630QM and I was able to run Ultra (Blizzard's Ultra setting, not custom) and Dx 11 and get 40+ fps, AA, everything. and that was in SW. so if you haven't tried a mobile graphic card that he listed, please try it first before saying you can't max out WoW. :p 

@CYTY any of those cards would work. I was originally going to get the 15 with the 540 but decided on the 17 since I'm done with college and I don't need the mobility anymore. the 550 only comes with the 17, it's slightly faster in terms of the GPU.

Don't listen to people who tell you mobile cards can't play games on max settings. they just never owned one to know (maybe :p ). i have played Black Ops and MW2 on max on a HD 4570 card and that is only a low-mid range card. you should be able to run HIGH comfortably as I was able to do so on my previous HD 4570. with the 540 or above, ULTRA is possible. as i said, I'm running 1080p, dx11, x16 AA and ULTRA and WoW runs smoothly. :D 
Score
!