Need Help With Serial SATA & PCI 1x (Images)

irock97

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
Hello,

I'm getting a black magic intensity pro. According to Google & Amazon it fit's into a PCI 1x slot.

Now for the hard part. I have a Packard Bell stock computer and have they're own brand mother board and being a Novice PC Builder and don't know if they two sockets that are available are PCI 1x.

When I tock the side off , I noticed they're two sockets un used. One was a small one , the slot next to it which was the same size had my Wifi Card in it.

The next slot was a big one , the one next to it which was used had my GPU in it.

I have included some Pics as well.

http://s1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb419/irock971/

Problem 2

Ok , I've been doing my Homework and I read that for un compressed capture of 720P 59.94 FPS You need a write speed of around 130-150 Mb/s

So , I need to get a new drive. But when I took a look at the cables. The one read "Serial ATA" I have no idead what the means. The ones , I've been looking at are SATA II.

So , please can you take a look at the pics and help me out. Is the plug that I took a picture of Serial ATA?

Or , Could I get a USB 3.0 Card? Then buy an extrenal one and use the USB 3.0? Will My Mobo support the Bandwith.

Amazon link to Black Magic: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001CN9GEA/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_g147_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1KPZTB5NEGPDVCPEA976&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

irock97

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
Pics
IMG_0179.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0173.jpg

You are not going to work with uncompressed video in real time on that system with a single disk (unless you want to spend for a large SSD). Uncompressed requires a raid0 disk array. Check Wikipedia for raid 0. Your MB chipset may support RAID 0 arrays of two or four disks, check your manuals. Optimal would be 4 disk, you might get by with two.

More likely you will capture/edit compressed video which will work with your current disk drive. Compressed video is supported by your video capture device "Because uncompressed video in HD requires a fast disk array, to save cost you can also choose compressed video that's higher quality than HDV. For example you can use DV 100 codec on Mac OS X™ which is 4 times better quality than HDV, or on Windows™ you can choose our new full resolution JPEG codec."

Wikipedia will give you pictures of a PCIe x1 slot, your system has one free from the pictures above.

All SATA slots are backward and forward compatible. If you buy a new disk it will work at the max speed both it and the MB can support. Do check into raid arrays before deciding what to buy and do look at only high performance drives -- video editing and rendering is really slow.

"Serial ATA" = SATA. (There was parallel ATA before serial ATA).

Finally, some CPUs are good for video editing and some are not. Lots of memory is a good thing. I couldn't tell what system specs you have. Or what video software you are running. Or what video card you might have that would accelerate video editing. Or if you are running a 64-bit or 32-bit version of windows. I see you have 2 free memory (dimm) slots. If you have less than 4GB on 32 bit or 8gb on 64 bit then add some memory to those slots for video editing. (4GB memory on a win7 32 bit system shows up as a little more than 3GB, not the full 4. This is Ok and the max for 32 bit windows). If you only plan to capture video and paste together sections then you should be fine. Creating a DVD will take hours or run overnight. If you plan on high end video editing in HD with effects then (1) decide what SW you'll use (2) find video capture and other hardware that is known to work well with that software. Post in the AV forums. Good luck.

irock97

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
So serial ATA Means SATA? is Is SATA 2?

I have an i5 @3.2Ghz

3GB RAM

I use Sony Vegas & After Effects

My Mobo doesn't support RAID 0. But I can do a Software RAID within Windows.

That's why I want to get two more drives. So , I can work with un compressed Capture. Plus , My Drive which has windows on is nearly full.

Thank you.

irock97

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011

Could you recommend a Hard Drive Internal one? I would like it to be 1TB

i5 @3.2Ghz = fast system.

"My Mobo doesn't support RAID 0" you sure? I think the chip set needed to run the i5 supports raid0. see http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/matrixstorage_sb.htm also check in your bios to see if it is possible to put the SATA controller into RAID mode instead of ACHI.. DON'T actually change it, i'm not sure if that will make your disk unreadable, just see if RAID is an option in the sata controller menu in your bios. You want hardware not software raid when moving 100+ MB/sec.

re: drives. Something like a spinpoint f3 is cheap ($60) and fast. You cannot use WD Black drives in a raid array (something about lack of time limited error recovery support) but you can use the very fast WD RE raid edition drives. They cost more.
spinpoint f3 = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185
wd RE = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136798

make sure you have good airflow around these drives. You'll be driving them hard for significant periods of time and without moving air they will cook.

3GB memory is small for video editing. Are you 32 bit windows ? If not then get 4 GB more. If yes, then 3GB is all you get. (I think after effects required a 64 bit system, so you must be running win7 64bit. I'd get the additional 4GB kit of memory or maybe more.

p.s. this article says that the CPU is still better than GPU in sony vegas... http://www.goldfries.com/computing/cpu-vs-gpu-video-encoding-with-sony-vegas-movie-studio-hd-platinum-11/

"So serial ATA Means SATA? is Is SATA 2? " guessing that any MB supporting i5 has sata 2 ports. later motherboards might even have sata3 but you don't need them for spinning disks, only ssd.

irock97

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011

Yes , I'm running 64 Bit.

The thing is , I'm running a Stock Packard Bell motherboard. I've checked the BIOS and it's no where to be found. Ok , Thank you. I'll take a look.