Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Graphics Card Upside Down?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 9, 2011 6:06:24 PM

So my friend just gave me his computer to fix, and now he wants to upgrade the graphics card.

The problem is that his desktop is oriented pretty...odd. Must be a reverse ATX or BATX (I don't know the exact terminology) but instead of opening the desktop from the left side, the right panel slides out. And with the way the case is oriented, in order for me to place the video card in, it would mean the fan/heat sink would have to be facing upwards towards the PSU.

To paint a mental picture for you, the front of the case is facing to the left, the back I/O ports and slots are to the right. The PSU is in the top right corner of the case, and the CPU is centered in the bottom. The graphics card would have to be right in the middle of the CPU and PSU, and it would have the fan/heat sink blowing air up towards the PSU.

Basically its like this motherboard, but oriented upside down (http://www.hardwaresphere.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/0...)
*Note this is not his motherboard, I just google imaged a random motherboard and this is pretty much the same configuration of it*

So would he run into problems in the long run if I were to place the graphics card upside down. Or is he out of luck with this crappy HP that he got?

More about : graphics card upside

Best solution

a c 201 U Graphics card
July 9, 2011 6:10:48 PM

Its just a reverse ATX configuration, HP appears to like doing that these days and i dont know why they havent just moved to bottom mounted PSU cases to go with the flipped board, but having the GPU facing the other direction isnt going to affect it. Most GPUs will use their fan to draw in air and force some out the back of the card and some into the case so the fan wont be blowing at the PSU likely.
July 19, 2011 2:17:15 AM

Best answer selected by abc617.
Score
a c 272 U Graphics card
July 19, 2011 12:52:24 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!