$2k gaming build

gokilz

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
I've decided to upgrade so I can play BF3 in High Setting :D Main usage for this build is gaming only

This is what I had in mind after researching, but still yet to conclude a final build.

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D14
Mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty p67 Professional B3
Asus P8Z68V Pro
Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z

I have no idea which to take, but definitely I would want a value for money motherboard.
I will OC my build later but I am still on the verge of learning. Personally I like the black/red theme :sol:

Memory: G.Skill RipJaws-X DDR3-1600 CL9 8GB
GPU: Asus GTX 580 Direct CU II
SSD: 128GB Crucial M4
HDD: Samsung 2TB
CASE: NZXT Phantom
HAF X

I am confused on which to get, I have plan to mod the side panel to be full window. This will mean I have to sacrifice the stock fans. Which of the case will have better air flow after the mods?

PSU: I have a spare Seasonic X850w

bowzef

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
Asus PRO boreds are defective DO NOT get a ASUS PRO MOBO!! i had lots of my friends having issues with them Go get a AsRock bored best for its price great boreds i have a p67 Fatality MOBO and i can say great boreds and don't get the Asus GPU brand get EVGA better RMA/Warranty

mjmjpfaff

Distinguished

+1 to that man. i had a p8p67 pro board fail on me. and flong a highly regarded member here had a p8pz68-v pro board doa.

bowzef

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010

yeh man Asus is no good no more they lost me as a customer i guess theres a prime for every company and sooner or later the climbing must come down and for me Asus is no longer a good manufacture for motherboards in my opinion and thanks for the +1 bro :D

gokilz

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
wow i was surprised to hear about asus.

so ill lean more towards asrock :D but which would be better for current and future needs. intend to use this for long term.

asrock fatality z68 pro gen3 or asrock extreme 7 gen 3.

would evga gtx580 3gb any use? or should i just get the 1.5gb?
my local shop recommended me to get asus gtx580 direct cu ii for better cooling, is this legit?

mjmjpfaff

Distinguished

i would not pay the extra $ for either of them. the nf2000 bridge is not worth it unless you are going with tri sli/cf.
with the money you saved get a tri monitor setup. they are amazing. you see so much more than other people playing at 1080p